JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Nutter versus fixing the original parts/systems? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nutter-versus-fixing-original-parts-systems-941821/)

Ken4444 01-06-2010 11:44 AM

Nutter versus fixing the original parts/systems?

I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Does anyone know of thread with a discussion about doing a Nutter bypass versus correctly repairing the problems with the factory installed computer, sensors, and related hardware?

I get the feeling that performing the Nutter is a shortcut when perhaps a Jeep could be made to run right by actually troubleshooting and fixing the problems with the 25 year old sensors, computer, and related hardware.

Of course, on the other hand, it is clear that AMC was forced to add computer control to the engine in order to meet emissions requirements, and I don't know if there's any proof that this added hardware actually did improve anything. Anyhow, that's why I'm wondering if this discussion has been had before here :)

green cj 78 01-06-2010 12:13 PM

Vortec Swap!!!

texasdave 01-06-2010 12:26 PM

Cost and actually finding the parts. You would have to have some special equipment to read the exact tolerances on the sensors and a diagnostic machine to read the computer codes and tweak them to get the best performance. Also you would have to ensure that the 25 year old wiring is not corroded and interfering with proper readings. Botom line if I can get rid of something not really needed and get better performance withot money out of my pocket I go for that option.

twmattox 01-06-2010 12:50 PM

Agreed. I looked into this a number of years ago with the same thought. I had a friend who worked at a Jeep dealership... He couldn't find the parts... Some of that stuff is just no longer available.

JeepHammer 01-06-2010 01:31 PM

If I had all the orignal parts...
And they all worked (more or less),
I'd put things back to 'Stock'.

What I keep running into is mostly broken or missing parts,
And the 'Nutter Bypass'...
DONE CORRECTLY, which most ARE NOT,

Combined with the 'TeamRush' upgrade,
Will get you up and running even on cold morning when the vehicle would otherwise not start or run at all.

Ken4444 01-08-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHammer (Post 8633759)
...And the 'Nutter Bypass'...
DONE CORRECTLY, which most ARE NOT

Can you elaborate on what people seem to be doing wrong?

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about the parts not being available. I guess that it would be possible to Nutter a Jeep and then take time later to test and fix the various components that had been bypassed. Then at some future time the Nutter could be reversed if necessary and the original, repaired systems could be fully put into use. However, I suspect that it would be tough to find the time and energy to take that route unless I was retired, especially after the Nutter helped result in a well-running engine.

WolfDawg 01-08-2010 10:22 AM

I had the nutter bypass done....I don't know how I feel about it yet, as I still have problems...and, though I think we've narrowed it to some kind of problem with ignition/fuel/carb connections...., but I'm a minimalist at heart. I don't know....had I to do it all over again, I might have tried to get what was THERE to work right, instead of taking it all out....it's just not the same Jeep anymore....

Good grief....maybe a sentimentalist shouldn't own a Jeep!:rolleyes:

Cheers!
:cheers2:

L12graffix 01-08-2010 10:27 AM

I went through the whole trying to get all original parts back to stock and they don't have the pulse air parts anymore. I went with pulling the pulse setup and installing the Howell TBI. So it's not nuttered and it's emissions legal.

WolfDawg 01-08-2010 12:37 PM

That was an excellent move....lucky for me ('cause I wouldn't be riding at all), but not for the folks around me ('cause I don't think I'd pass emissions with what I've got going on), in my part of Georgia there aren't any emissions requirements....

Kinda makes me feel bad about riding around in it, though...:rolleyes:

Full Tank 01-08-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken4444 (Post 8647742)
I guess that it would be possible to Nutter a Jeep and then take time later to test and fix the various components that had been bypassed. Then at some future time the Nutter could be reversed if necessary and the original, repaired systems could be fully put into use.

The main problem is the computer controlled carb. The very first computer controlled carbs started coming out in CJ's around '81-'82 and were problematic. Now these rigs are 24+ years old and usually not very well maintained.

IMO it's best to take the feedback carb completely out of the equation with the Nutter Bypass.

FT

sparkey 01-09-2010 11:44 AM

I did the nutter only on my 83 and removed all the computer controlled items, including the carb, had access to a rebuilt earlier one. I have not done the Team Rush yet as the jeep runs great without it. It gets 18 MPG around town.

Uncle Russ 01-09-2010 03:59 PM

I found a pulse-air pipe kit for the CJ on eBay. I also bought the vacuum valve and check valves from Morris 4x4, I believe.

From what I've read of folks tuning their CJs post-computer, it sounds like they are getting better performance (emissions and mileage) out of their ECM-bypassed engines then they did with the emissions stuff there.

mmerlina 01-09-2010 05:03 PM

I nuttered mine back when I was still running the carter and never looked back. Not only did it run better, but it cleaned up the engine compartment of so much stuff including wires and lines.

I understand some people are into "restoring" their CJs, which in this case would be understandable to try and get all the stock stuff operational. But as far as a DD, a weekend driver, or a trail rig.. I think nutter is the way to go.

The time now is 09:20 AM.