nutter bypass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > nutter bypass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
bdsmitch
1983 CJ7 

nutter bypass

would that be worth doing if it is has holly fuel injection, it still runs off of points so i would imagine it would but not sure. It passed emissions great changed some title things around and had to do it again 4 months later and failed did a tune up got closer but still failed

bdsmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmitch View Post
would that be worth doing if it is has holly fuel injection, it still runs off of points so i would imagine it would but not sure. It passed emissions great changed some title things around and had to do it again 4 months later and failed did a tune up got closer but still failed
Depends... What did you change from the time it passed emissions to the present failure. Nutter bypass is to take the CEC emissions computer out of the control of the timing and the stepper motor pins on the Carter BBD carburetor. If you have Holley fuel injection, no carburetor to mess with, plus an 1983 "should" have a Duraspark pointless distributor using the Ford type ignition module found under the washer bottle on the driver's side inner fender.
So what do you have there pardner? God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
bdsmitch
1983 CJ7 

still on points i have that dura spark that i upgraded to the ford cap . I replaced that module once maybe it went bad again . i didnt really change anything between then i did everything before the first emmisions now i have a slight mis and wont pass
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmitch View Post
still on points i have that dura spark that i upgraded to the ford cap . I replaced that module once maybe it went bad again . i didnt really change anything between then i did everything before the first emmisions now i have a slight mis and wont pass
First things first? What are you failing emissions on? HC, CO, or NOX if your state tests for it. Cruise or idle failure?
Sounds like you have an ignition misfire and that is causing unburned gas to enter the exhaust stream.
Most big box parts stores can test the ignition module and let you know if it is failing. Anyway let's find out what the emission failure is before throwing parts at the problem. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
bdsmitch
1983 CJ7 

yeah so before the tune up on idle co was at 3.69 and required to be at 1.20 and hc was at 282 and required to be at 220 and on the high speed co was 1.33 and hc was 96. so i out of 4 passed

after tune up idle co was at 2.13 and hc was at 192 and high speed co was at 1.76 and hc was at 103 so 2 out of 4 passed

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.