Nutter Bypass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Nutter Bypass

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 12-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
eatdrinkadam
1985 CJ7 

Nutter Bypass

Hello..

I have been doing some reading on the Nutter Bypass to eliminate the computer from the fuel system.

I have a '85 CJ7 151 4cyl / Carter YFA.

I have issues with idling / power that I believe the bypass should fix. Here are my questions:

1. Can the bypass be performed on a 4cyl 151? I have only read bypass accounts for the 6 cyl engine.

2. If I do the bypass and eliminate the emissions computer, would my Jeep still pass smog? I live in California.

Thanks!

A

eatdrinkadam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
eatdrinkadam
1985 CJ7 

Bump. Anyone know?

The reason for my curiosity is because the 4cyl Carter YFA carb has no stepper motor... just MC Solenoid.
Unread 12-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...ghlight=nutter

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
eatdrinkadam
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the link, however both the Team Rush Upgrade and Nutter Bypass are specified for V8 and I6 motors.

Back to my question, can the Nutter Bypass (or even the Team Rush Upgrade) be executed on a 4 cyl motor.

'85 Jeep CJ7, Carter YFA.
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I don't know for sure but I think you would do just the wiring part of the Nutter. This would bypass the computer, provided it would have one. As for the TeamRush I don't know if there is an upgrade for that. Hopefully JeepHammer will chime in and give his advice on that topic.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
WesleyNowlen
1983 CJ7 

If your having trouble idling, then you may want to check your idle tubes in the carb. They're probably clogged.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using JeepForum
WesleyNowlen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Superjay5
1983 CJ7 

This is a mute post. The nutter bypass is eliminating the emmision computer, along with the sensors. I live in good ole Michigan, we don't have smog rules, knor have I ever had to get a vehicle inspected.

But from what I have read here in Cali it would never pass, you have it the roughest out of anyone!
Superjay5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
eatdrinkadam
1985 CJ7 

So essentially.. I should make an effort to revive the computer controlled emissions system, rather than ditching it, because I live in CA.

That makes sense, since I would eventually need to pass smog again.

My carb is a refurbished carb, 8 months old. So my idle tubes should be fine.

What that said, I can check practically all the computer controlled components myself, although what are the chances of the MCU itself being dead? How would I check?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
eatdrinkadam
1985 CJ7 

PS.. I just tested the oxygen sensor with both an OHM and Voltage meter while the car was running, and it was flat.

Could this be a culprit in idling, mixture problems?
Unread 05-30-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
jjgrow
1986 CJ7 

Just revisiting this for some current feedback. I am, of course, running into a bunch of tuning issues w/ my existing stock system on my '86 CJ7. If for no other reason than to stop the *****ing from my mechanics I'd like to cut the computer out of the equation. Couple of questions:

1) Are folks in California finding they are able to pass smog inspection w/ the Nutter bypass? Assuming if all the lines are in place it would pass the visual (I recently passed smog but later found several vacuum lines had been plugged w/ BBs).

2) Can someone provide me a link to a thread that documents the definitive step-by-step instructions for the bypass procedure?

Thanks.

1986 CJ-7
jjgrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 03:56 AM   #11
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/

This is the longest thread on the Nutter Bypass but there are lots of others dealing with aspects, for instance California testing.

the Search function is good on JF, you can search the whole of the CJ forum for "Nutter Bypass".

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #12
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Do your stepper pins move in and out at idle when looking in throat of carb?

If not what position are they in after engine warms up?

Centered = bad switch telling computer engine is warm.

All the way in = idle mixture lean and computer trying to make it richer.

All the way out = idle mixture too rich and computer is trying to make it leaner.

Google "Adventures Under The Hood" it tells you what everything does and how to fix it.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
jjgrow
1986 CJ7 

Thanks BagusJeep, that was the thread I was looking for. When I searched the forum for Nutter Bypass, I got tons of posts but oddly didn't see this (I know how annoying it is when a Noob doesn't bother to search the forum). Bookmarked it now.

86cj74.2L - yesterday my carb mechanic was telling me the stepper pins weren't moving at all. He was going to try swapping in a new stepper unit that he uses for testing to see if the computer or stepper is dead and is working thru the checklist of various other culprits. Worst case is he will get the pins to a centered position so it will run adequately and then we decide where to go with it. FWIW, he (carb mechanic) is a big advocate of swapping in junkyard 4.0 FI systems or the Howell TBI. Wasn't as bullish on the Mopar FI - something about losing EGR etc. plus higher cost.

1986 CJ-7
jjgrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I've never seen the stepper fail. Always a chance though.

Its simple. Ignition on and no engine run at a cold start the pins should be centered.

If not then the computer is dead, the stepper is dead, or the wiring is bad.

Show your mechanic the "Adventures Under The Hood Link."

A cheeper fix would be to bypass the computer and buy a non feed back (stepper) carb off a Wagoneer or J pickup. Rebuild it. At my local u pull it yard the carb would cost 15 dollars. Drill out the emulsion tubes and replace bushings if needed and you may not care about fuel injection.

You will go broke quickly paying someone else to learn how to fix your jeep.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The proper place for static stepper pins is with their shoulder showing 1/8" from the back wall. The carb then will set good enough manually to pass the emissions sniffer.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.