NT or WT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > NT or WT

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
fonnest
1980 CJ7 

NT or WT

I have a 80 CJ 7. I found a set of WT for $300. Is it worth the trouble to go WT or just kept the NT. Is there any thoughts on this or just might be wasting my time. Food for thought i am having a problem with the AMC 20 NT right now and will have to put some money into it already.

fonnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonnest View Post
I have a 80 CJ 7. I found a set of WT for $300. Is it worth the trouble to go WT or just kept the NT. Is there any thoughts on this or just might be wasting my time. Food for thought i am having a problem with the AMC 20 NT right now and will have to put some money into it already.
I wouldn't put good money into the 20. It's like polishing a turd. I say go WT - especially if you plan on wheeling the Jeep and can do the work yourself. For the street it'll give you more stability but you'll need wider flares to cover them. Are the WT axles 44s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

The wide tracks are better but is the rear axle another AMC 20? If so, will it need work? Does it have one-piece axle shafts?

The AMC 20 can be very strong... the pinion and ring gears are much beefier than a Dana 44. The weak areas are thinner tubes and stock two-piece shafts.

I put one-piece shafts in mine, welded the tubes at both the flange and pumpkin, and had it trussed.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

beefing an AMC is hardly polishing a turd...its not like its a Dana 35! one simple axle shaft upgrade and its very strong for up to 33" tires. Weld the tubes and truss it and its better than a dana 44. I'm yet to see anyone with that setup fail on the trails due to their axle tubes being too thin...
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.