Now What? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Now What?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
frodin1
1980 CJ7 

Now What?

So I've got the front end torn off my CJ for a cam change. I was looking at this fandangled suspension setup they have on the front end. Now I'm not a Jeep guy really, I have a 3rd Gen 4Runner that I've toyed with in the past. But my question is, why is there a friggen track bar on this front end? I thought you only ran those with coils? The bracket that's supposed to be "Bolted" to the frame was welded, thus weakening the steel at the welds and the frame now has two cracks about 2 inches long next to the bracket on both sides. Some people............

frodin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Is it a stock setup? I don't remember noticing a track bar on mine. Are you sure it's not the sway bar? What kind of CJ you have?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
John N
1981 CJ8 

CJs don't have track bars in original form, they do have a sway bar on most '76 and latter models. Post some pictures for some real input.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
frodin1
1980 CJ7 

I actually posed some pics on another thread because they had the steering stabilizer all screwed up as well " I'm going to have to build a bracket for that". Yes it's a track bar. It's bolted on top of the differential housing "using the top 4 bolts and has a a rod with two heim joints on either end, over to the frame where there's another bracket. I'll get some better pics tomorrow! My setup is far from stock. I have no sway bar, and everything has Heim ends not tie rod ends, the steering rods are probably 1.25 inches in diameter. 1 rod goes from the steering box to the passenger side, and the other goes all the way across to the other wheel. Kind of like a drag link setup I guess. No where even close to stock. I know one thing for sure, this track bar is coming off. Manana!
Unread 02-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
86cjjeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodin1 View Post
the steering rods are probably 1.25 inches in diameter. 1 rod goes from the steering box to the passenger side, and the other goes all the way across to the other wheel. Kind of like a drag link setup I guess.
that sounds like a factory CJ steering setup to me. on a stock cj, there is a draglink from the pitman arm to the passenger side knuckle, and then a tie rod runs from there to the driverside. i also read your post about the steering stabilizer. all cj steering stabilizers i've seen attach to the tie rod with 2 u bolts holding connecting it to a bracket. then the other end goes under the spring plate on the driverside with the spring centerbolt. yea, better pictures would really help determine what kind of setup you are dealing with.

here is how it should look under there if it was stock.

Last edited by 86cjjeeper; 02-27-2010 at 08:36 AM..
86cjjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cjjeeper View Post
that sounds like a factory CJ steering setup to me. on a stock cj, there is a tierod from the pitman arm to the passenger side knuckle, and then a draglink runs from there to the driverside. i also read your post about the steering stabilizer. all cj steering stabilizers i've seen attach to the draglink with 2 u bolts holding connecting it to a bracket.

He did post photos in another link and does indeed have a homemade track bar on there to try and cover for worn out spring bushings.

You have your terminology slightly off. The 'drag link' is the adjuster for the steering wheel only alignment and runs from the pitman arm to the passenger side knuckle. The 'tie rod' goes between the two tires and sets the toe in only alignment.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
86cjjeeper
1986 CJ7 

whoops, guess i shouldnt be posting things at 2:30 in the morning....i'll get things mixed up.....fixed it

i was not commenting on the track bar. i was just stating my views on the steering setup he has. i just found the thread with his steering pics. and IMO, besides the 'drag link' being flipped(cant clearly see if the 'tie rod' is too) and everything having the wrong joints, the setup appears to be the stock form, with the addition of some heavier steering rods.
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
frodin1
1980 CJ7 

OK, gentlemen, I finally got around to some pictures. The first is the track bar, you'll see where the bracket attaches to the frame, I put a couple bolts through it to pull it back into position. After the axle has tried to rip it off. If anybody has a suggestion on how I can attach my stabilizer please let me know, the original mounts won't work. The angle is to great from the axle to the first rod. On the other stabilizer it actually twisted it upwards, and almost broke the threaded end off the shock.

A pic of the old stabilizer.

and a pic of my rods.
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
frodin1
1980 CJ7 

You can't really see it, but on both sides of the welds, on the frame bracket there are 2 cracks about 2 inches in length. I'm not sure if I should cut the bracket off and re-weld the cracks. Or try to cover it with another plate of steel? Got any ideas how to fix the cracks in the frame? Let me know.
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
frodin1
1980 CJ7 

My spring bushing aren't worn out, they're actually pretty new urethane ones. This is the way I got this. I'm just trying to make it right!
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Make it right and get rid of that Add-on piece. Others here will give a better idea on a good way to repair the frame - I've seen some beautiful work on frames on this site.

That panhard bar should have been as long as possible and as level in the at-rest position as possible. Being it is short and angled, the upward movement of the axle is trying to push the axle over from the swing of the arc, which is why it is tearing your frame apart.. Poor design.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Xtremjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I remember seeing a few years back, someone on Ebay was making track bars just like this one. It was an attempt to solve "death wobble". Not a very good attempt IMO.

1980 CJ-7 Mall crawler (RIP 2010)
1983 CJ-8 Scrambler Full resto in progress
1988 YJ Fully Built but never Done

Xtremjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

you have a nice high steer setup with beefy links. That's nice but those heim joints I believe are technicly not street legal

as for the frame. cut the bracket off, grind into the cracks a little to open them up and make room for some weld to get in. Weld them, grind them smooth then put a fish plate over the area and weld it to the frame to reinforce the area
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
frodin1
1980 CJ7 

I live in Lake Havasu AZ. about 90% of what's on the road out here isn't street legal. But this isn't my daily driver anyhow. That's what the Bug, sandrail and 4 Runner is for. I can't believe the things they allow out here. Lets see, dirt bikes "2 stroker is ok." rails of all sizes, razors, rhinos, quads, and not the big fancy ones either, if you have a banshee you can make it street legal. Full on rock crawler buggies, truggies can be street legal out here. I don't think they'll ever look at my heim joints.
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
frodin1
1980 CJ7 

I need to see how someones steering stabilizer is setup with rods like these? ANYBODY with an 80ish. Like I said before, I believe I need to use some sort of bracket that mounts on the leaf mount. My stabilizer has the threaded studs on both ends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.