A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning) - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning)

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 08-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #121
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You've come a long way, Griffen. It looks fantastic!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #122
bluwtrsurfr

Man what I would give to have my 5 that straight again... Maybe one day when I finally build my toy shop in my back yard.... Looks awesome!

81 Jeep CJ5 4" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires.
bluwtrsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #123
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Thanks Everyone I owe this restoration work to my cousin, he had the equipment and the know how. Restoring a the tub wasn't a joke, there were hours and hours involved in just the prep work (sanding, sanding, sanding...)

rixcj - the pat was DuPont imron industrial strength high gloss with the color Solar Yellow (EW3) same as on the current yellow Nissan Exterra

Reunited the body to the fame:

Griffen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #124
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

Griffen,

Great job on your CJ5...looking very nice!
I know this question was asked previously but I can't seem to find your response: "What suspension are you running?"
dnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #125
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Good question dnjeep. Forgive my lack of knowledge regarding my suspension. Let me pull a picture of it and see if that can shed any light on it.

If I had to guess it just has a leaf spring lift on it, has skyjacker shocks and a 1" body bushing lift. in total maybe 4" of lift by just eyeballing it to other cj's out there. the 37" tires help give it a nice stance.
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #126
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Made some good progress over the holiday weekend. Got the grill, pass fender, radiator, head lamps installed also seated the new glass into the windshield. BTW the glass was a major pita. Finally decided to mount the seal on the glass, load the slot for the frame with some pull cord and persuaded into place one cm at a time...

Unread 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #127
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Nice bit of work done one the jeep this week. Installed all the new clutch linkage parts, the Side steps, new tail lights and side markers. I also modified the front bumper/brush guard by cutting off the bars that used to connect to the fenders. Then mounted the windshield brackets and replaced the grommet/bumper pads between the grill and hood. Coming along now.

Next short term goals:
Replace master cylinder, replace hose on power steering return line, mount windshield frame.

I should be getting another load from my cousin's paint shop soon, holding on the dash, roll bars, hood hinges and a few other misc parts.

I am also thinking that I need to get the wheels off soon and inspect the full breaking system at each corner. I will likely do that once I install the new master cylinder.

in all I feel that I am getting close to the finish line.

it's been sitting so long it almost needs a bath already..
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #128
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Just noticed that I've been slacking with the updates and pictures, so here is the latest.

Hood, windshield, wiper motor, mirrors, fender trim, hi-lift jack hood mount, under hood wiring all installed. currently working on the dash. had to completely restore the speedo but it turned out very nice. nuff chatter her are the pic's

BTW, that's me - a sweaty (it's Florida) 6'2" and the hood is at my shoulders. Those new body spacers did make a bit of difference.

next on my list is this mess...

Unread 10-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #129
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Awesome, Griffen. How you gonna get in the dang thing!?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #130
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

You're doing a great job! That's a nice looking jeep.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #131
astrawn
1979 CJ7 

WOW! That Jeep is turning out nice!
astrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #132
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

My goodness, how high does your jeep sit?
7179CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #133
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

It has been a busy holiday season. But I think I pretty much done minus a few bits here and there. One perplexing issue are the breaks.. The are weak, i mean real weak.

New master cylinder, bench bleed. Bleeding the lines i had some issues. Couldn't get the back breaks to bleed so we brought a pressure bleeder hooked up to an air compressor. Got the air out but still weak.

The break petal nears the floor. Maybe 1 or 2 inches from the floor before it catches any pressure. Upon secondary manual,bleeding the front disc breaks squirt fluid as expected. The back breaks only leak small amounts of fluid on attempt to bleed. Also to note the break warning light is lit upon key turn to on position. I have tried pushing pulling the pin on the pro proportioning value. Tried bleeding rear both ways.

Darn near taking it to the local tire/break shop and let them fish it out... Unless anyone can offer any great advise out what else I can try.

With that aside everything else is working great and I brought her home from my folks shop and have been cruising around the local neighborhood and loving it. Can't wait to get breaks squared out so I can take her on the main roads and trails.

Happy belated Xmas to all and a happy new year.
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #134
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Will try to post some pic tomorrow after she gets a bath..
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #135
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Not sure how high it sits, will measure it tomorrow. Pic earlier has me standing next to it. I am 6'2" tall for a reference point. And I have to climb into it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.