A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 04-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #91
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

What suspension ate you running under it to fit those 35s
Can't wait to see the your end result

fiddy5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #92
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

more progress has been made. Now my real work begins...

oh yeah it was that frig'ed up.. Lots of metal work and filler going in here. but will look real good when all fixed up..

Griffen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #93
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

Looking good.
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #94
brian613
1977 CJ5 

nice work

project roadkill
brian613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #95
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

So I was scanning the thread board and noticed you 79 CJ5 resto, peaked my interest since I have currently finished, well not really, because your NEVER EVER finished, my 79 CJ5. Had to go back to page 1 to catch up. Awesome work, I too have a cousin who I am for ever indebted too, he painted my 79 TWICE. Anyway, I've subscribed to your thread and plan to follow. Keep up the good work!
7179CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #96
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Tinkered around a bit last night at the shop. Broke into my cousins stash of 3M UltraPro Sealant and went to town on the tub seams.

I think sealing all the seams is going to take me a few nights. There are a lot of nooks and cranny's I never want moisture going ever again.

Also picked up one of the 7 part body and fender kits from harbor freight, going to take a stab at banging some of the metal back into place on my driver rocker panels prior to filling them with mud. I am Thinking of adding some of the warrior products black diamond plate rocker panels once all finished so I don't have to be spot on but the less mud work the better, IMO...
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #97
Artiemac
1979 CJ5 

Man, you're doing an awesome job! I have a '79 cj5 too, that I'll start working on very soon. I just hope mine turns out half as good as yours is looking. Keep up the good work and keep those pics coming
Artiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #98
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

From this:

to this:

with just little of this:

I know I know, not a hundred percent flat but that's what the filler is for... now I just wont have to use so much of it
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #99
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen24 View Post
From this:

to this:

with just little of this:

I know I know, not a hundred percent flat but that's what the filler is for... now I just wont have to use so much of it
That is very impressive... nice work.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #100
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Hey Griffen24 you've been working your 79 since around Nov, Dec 12'
I want to know if your wife has embraced your new hobby or is she giving you any grief?y wife has developed a Love/Hate relationship with my CJ, loves to ride in it, hates to spend money on it!

Either way, keep up the good work and keep the post coming!
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #101
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Well that's an excellent question 7179cj5. To be honest I had to ask her just now. She stated she really didn't care either way. However she has never rode in it, she stated it looked to "junky" to ride in when I first brought home. She won't be able to say that when I am done. Can't bother her too much as I'm doing all the work away from home at a family members shop. Go work on it for a few hours a week. That way it doesn't take to much if family time away.

In regards to the money side... Well she really has no say in it, she decided she would rather stay home as a homemaker and for go her career so I run the budget ''wink wink" and there is an allotment for the cj from each pay cycle.

Got a little cj time in today and mounted the power steering pump and as alternator and all belts/hoses.
Unread 05-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #102
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Well she'll really enjoy riding in it when your done, I'm sure it'll turn a lot of heads. I really nice well done older jeep always trumps a newer jeep any day. IMO

Sounds like you have a good plan when it comes to jeep parts, I tried sneaking a few by the wife, but she always catches me, so our deal is, I spent $100 on the jeep she gets to spend $100 on something, you have to do what you have to do.

In your earlier post you mentioned a noise coming from your engine, and you thought it may be a vacuum leak, have you addresses that yet? I've been experiencing a squealing nose since I had my motor rebuilt and can't seem to find out where it is coming from. It's driving me crazy. It'll start once I'm on the road and driving for about 5 , 10 minutes, so once the motor is warmed up it starts. When I give it gas it will not be as loud but when I let up off the gas pedal, it gets really loud. A friend suggested that it may be my power steering pump bearings going out. Ill have to check into that.
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #103
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

I have not yet identified the whistling coming from my engine. I will be addressing that once I get everything back together and running again. I remember having some one rev it for me while I tried to locate the sound and it seemed to be coming from the within the air intake when I took the air filter off.. minor issue in totality.

Spent the afternoon working on the body. filling seams and such. also blasted the blue paint off the drive shafts and repainted them black. I think that finally gets rid of all the rainbow of colors this had, no wait I still have an orange starter and yellow alternator. oh well I can live with that too for now.

Looks like I get to do some steel surgery wed, taking the angle grinder and some cut off wheels to the paint shop and going to cut out all the remaining rot I can find and cut the scab plates.

My brain is running like mad getting all the details squared away now that progress is now moving quickly. I am trying to decide on rocker panel guards. since i'm going Nissan exterra yellow with the body I was thinking some black diamond plate would go nice on it. torn between the warrior products version (for low price) and A to Z fab with steps. (much more cost but heavy duty). I'm not going to be doing any rock crawling here in FL so the heavy duty is nice and all but not necessary. plus warrior have other matching diamond plate guards for the back corners that also caught my eye.
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #104
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Decisions, decisions, decisions, what is a guy to do when it comes to his Jeep, Dude you can spend hours upon hours upon even more hours trying to decide what to do with your jeep.. That's how I wound up painting mine twice! Black and yellow always look good together, especially on an older model jeep.
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #105
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Got the drive shafts repainted and installed

Going to the shop tonight to cut out all the swiss cheese and cut the scab steel patches.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.