A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning)

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Jeep JK Wrangler NEW Heat Reducing Performance Vented HoodARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #76
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Nice build Griffen... been watching your progress. Thats a real bonus to have access to the sandblaster, power coating and paint booth... makes for a quality job.

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #77
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Indeed Commadore64, I am very appreciative of my cousin for the use of his time and equipment. I don't think I would have attempted this size of restoration without knowing I could count on him... Much love to cousin Jamie!! Needless to say he is a very busy man and I only wish I had his skills and trade in place of being a computer jockey.

Welcome aboard dubya.

Thanks - Lifeisgood.
Griffen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #78
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Tonight I took on the take of brake lines... Picked up a 25' roll of the Poly-Armour PVF Steel Brake Line and the 3/8" 24 brake line nuts/fittings. Borrowed a friends tube bender, cutter, and double flaring kit. Then proceeded to bend me some tubing. There is a little be of a learning curve to it but it is not to hard to do. most of the line i was able to thumb bend without crimping the line. also learned a trick, i zip tied the old line to the new as i bent it this kept it in form and help me identify where i needed to do little tweaks at the end and ensures a near prefect duplicate bend each time.

also please note the the cost benefit of beginning your own line far out ways the time and effort learning to do it your self, saved over $200 bending the line at home vs. the prevent kits. Which is good, as I think my shocks are shot... compressed all four of then all the way last night and still fully compressed tonight... ahh they were looking pretty rough to boot..

Unread 02-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #79
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Nice job with the brake lines!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #80
CjHouch

1976 CJ5 

^^ I agree!!
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #81
7CJ5White6
1976 CJ5 

WOW i love this thread. I have a 76 CJ5 and will be doing all the same as you. Might take me a bit longer since cash is tight after buying a house but i have the entire garage to use just for my Jeep.

One question. What size bolts did you use to connect the engine to the stand?
7CJ5White6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #82
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Thank guys...
7cj5white6, not sure off hand on the size, just know I took one original bell housing bolt to tractor supply and matched up the thread in a schedule 8 bolt not sure if I went 3 1/2" or larger. Will let you know once i drop her back in within the next few weeks.
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #83
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Life's been busy so the jeep project has been on hold. Wife resigned from her job so just my income now.. Kinda slows the restoration pace a little bit. but still moving forward. Got the Brake lines roughly laid in place. Also repainted and installed the sway bar last night. planning to install the steering stablizer and new fuel tank this next week. Then clean up, paint, and install the fuel lines.
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #84
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You're doing a GREAT job Griffen. Nice work on the brake lines. Sorry to hear about your wife quitting... that must have been a tough decision. Keep on Truckin...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #85
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

OK I am back in action after a bit of a break.

Status update. Pic's to follow.

Installed all new break and fuel lines. Installed new fuel tank, fuel sender, fill hoses, tank skid pan.
Rebuilt the T150 (seals, bearings, gaskets, new fluid, and new back up light switch). Blasted it and repainted the transmission, transfer case, and bellhouseing nice pretty black.
Reinstalled the clutch to the flywheel

Then today I, Reinstalled the I6-258, T150, and D20 back into the nice shiny frame had to take a moment to cherish the moment, the motor has been out for quite some time and seeing it back in place felt real good. Over the next few weeks I plan to get all the accessories put back in place. Starter, exhaust, fan, and pulleys. Also going to get serious about the body work this week too. going to check out the current status of the tube and start the body filling process to get her all nice and strait again.

Looking for any great tips on necessary tools and tricks of the trade for body work. I know it's time to go shopping again for this leg of the process. Going to be using body filler on the uneven spots to make it nice and smooth again prior to paint work.
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #86
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Before:

After:

getting all prep'ed:

Then all done for the day... ahhhh

Unread 04-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #87
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Hello "neighbor". Great work on the jeep so far. Much faster progress than me. My first plan of action is just reliable and safe for mine. A full tear down resto will happen later. Keep up the good work! Suscribed!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #88
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

fiddy5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #89
fiddy5cj5
1955 CJ5 

What size are those pro comp mts they look real good and great work on the 5, I wish I had your cousin Jamie in my family lol
fiddy5cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #90
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

The tires are Pro Comp Extreme M/T 35's. Just visited Jamie tonight and picked up some of the smaller bits and pieces.

the tub is full of all the little stuff like my mirror mounts, hood hinges, windshield hardware and pedal assemblies. it's funny but the tub is the color the jeep is going to be painted. so form the paint light bezels you can see how the black trim will pop when she is all done.

here is the teaser pic...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.