A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #61
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

It all becomes easier when you use the proper tools. More safe, too. I'm sure that you will have less trouble with the build-up. Put it this way: you've already done it once with the tear down. Besides, the motivation of getting everything back together will make it that much easier. What are the dimensions of that trailer?

Unread 01-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #62
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Great Start Keep up the good work!!!

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #63
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Got my frame back last night will post picks for before and after later tonight. lets just say I am amazed and very thankful to have family with such skill. A very big thank you to my cousin Jamie!!! All i can say it that it is a thing of beauty to see your reflection in your frame

Quote:
neverhide34 - What are the dimensions of that trailer?
This is a 14'x8' trailer I used to haul 4-wheelers around on prior the the "jeep" days

With the frame back home, I was online most of the night shoping for all my parts to put it back together. here is to hopeing it goes back together as easy as it came apart...
Griffen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #64
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Some pics as promised...

This is the before...

This is the after shot
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #65
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Here are some pics from my cousin's shop where he did the work and the steps we took. From late night blast in too spit and shine.

Ready to blast

Letting the sand fly

Bringing it in to the paint bay the easy way..

The paint bay / oven.

Up in place in its stripped neckad glory

Cousin Jamie working his magic.

Then puddying up some ugly weld joints prior to the final coat.

We went with enamel over powder and I am very happy with the end results, the mirror black finish just makes me all giddy inside. Now I have to get new shiny brake and fule lines for her.
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #66
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Boy! I wonder what that would cost the average customer!! Looks great!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #67
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

A pretty penny I'm sure. What blows me away is how fast he gets it all done. Maybe four hours of actual labor in it so far. Rest of the time it was just cooking the paint coats in. I owe my cousin big time...

Can't wait to see what the tub will look like when he is done. Color will be the Nissan exterra yellow. With rhino lined under and inner.
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #68
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

All done at once...Amazing!
I had to take my suspension all apart...
What a time saver...
Looks brand new.
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #69
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

And I was feeling sorry for ya...!!

Sweet, Grif...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #70
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

What were you feeling sorry for me for? Lol

Just ordered a bunch of stuff last night. Now I just have to wait for the boxes tho start showing up.. Entire new fuel tank assembly, tie rods, windshield frame, steering stabilizer, and other misc parts.

Waiting on motor mounts and transmission support to get coated at cousins shop before I can drop the 258 back in place. Debating on new clutch. How can I visually determine if a new clutch is needed?
Unread 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #71
lifeisgood916
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This is sick

Love this jeep!
lifeisgood916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #72
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

1st shipment of goodies came in yesterday morning. New fule tank, tank skid pan, sending unit and straps. Went by my Cousins shop later last night and he powdercoated my fuel tank, fuek tank skid pan, engine mounts, and transmission skid pan. so its time to put this little beast's heart back in place. pic's to come later today.
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #73
dubya5813
1979 CJ5 

Just got my first jeep, love these build/rebuild threads. Great work Griffen, I'll be keeping tabs on this thread!
dubya5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #74
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Here are the latest pic's of last nights paint works.

Got the fresh shipment from cseoffroad. New fuel tank, fuel tank skid plate, tank straps, and sending unit.

Unpackaged them, scuffed them up with scotchbrite pads, blew them off with compressed air, taped or should I say tin foiled all the part I didn't want painted. Then hung then on the powder coating conveyer chain. You'll see my tank, skid pan, tranny skid pan, and motor mounts all hung up.

Here is where Jamie works his magic.

All powdered up

Into the oven

20 min later out of the oven comes some yummy cookies

I have some stuff around the house to do right now but should be able to squeak in some jeep time this weekend. Get the tank, skids, and motor mounts installed.
Unread 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #75
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Here are the latest pic's of last nights paint works.

Got the fresh shipment from cseoffroad. New fuel tank, fuel tank skid plate, tank straps, and sending unit.

Unpackaged them, scuffed them up with scotchbrite pads, blew them off with compressed air, taped or should I say tin foiled all the part I didn't want painted. Then hung then on the powder coating conveyer chain. You'll see my tank, skid pan, tranny skid pan, and motor mounts all hung up.

Here is where Jamie works his magic.

All powdered up

Into the oven

20 min later out of the oven comes some yummy cookies

I have some stuff around the house to do right now but should be able to squeak in some jeep time this weekend. Get the tank, skids, and motor mounts installed.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.