What,? I did that 10 years ago when I was 50. now at 60 I have to sit and lift the t-case into place.....
Me too, John. Only I held the tranny/Tcase/bellhousing up with my left hand while I got the bolts started into the block with my right. Didn't know there was another way!
Griffen... looks really good. The flash rust is a product of Florida. Our frame was rusting before our eyes while we sandblasted it! Your cousin, I'm sure, will know how to prep it for paint. I'm thinking I would want some kind of rust converter applied before priming, but I'm no pro. I don't know if that is a good idea for the tub or not.
__________________ Kerrdog Go Fish! <*////><
But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
I'm not worried about the flash rust as he re-dusted it and primed it before it could flash again. He only just left it bare for me to come and inspect and to decide what metal work we were going to do.
I have a bit more time yesterday and pulled a few more items off the old roller in the car port. Removed the sway bar, steering stabilizer, and all the shocks. not too much left on the frame, just need to remove the steering box and the attached steering arm and rod. of which has presented some difficulty for me. I've remove the nuts from the bolt holding this steering rod but cannot seem to get the bolts to come out. in the pics below I've only loosely returned the nuts so not to loose them. I even tried to persuade them with a 3lb hand sledge and they didn't budge. any pointers on how I can get these two out? (note: I'm not trying to remove the pitman arm from the steering box, just the rod from the pitman arm, i think they are the tie rod ends) My goal is get the frame with axles still attached to my cousin's shop by this weekend. weather is looking up to get the powder coating work done.
As for my color current plan... the frame and all the underbelly parts are going to be all gloss black. I may add accents later to spruce it up but nothing right off. The body exterior will be Nissan Exterra Yellow (had one a few years back and loved the color) with all back accents, and the underside and interior (excluding dash) will be coated in black bed-liner material, also applied by my cousin. Needless to say I owe Cousin Jamie tons. I offered to be his labor slave whenever needed as a starter.
Check out my build thread (link in my sig), I'm currently fixing this same issue. I had rot on the inside (valence) and outside (body) so I cut out both sides and replaced the steel. Actually, I removed the entire valence so I was able to clean out and fix the boxed in valence section. I will be coating the inside with Por-15. I also made new body mounts because mine were in such horrible condition. Once all the pieces are fabbed up and repaired I will weld everything back together.
Well, I got the tie rod ends off the pitman arm and steering knuckle today, was short work with the right tool, used the pickle fork wedge tool and a 5lb hammer - 3 whacks and they popped right off. Also removed the motor mount brackets and loaded her on the trailer to haul to my cousins shop tomorrow for a blast and powder-coat. Left it as a roller at this point for ease of movement. Felt like a major way-point for me. I think for the most part I am finally done tearing apart and will soon be putting back together Gotta say it, with no prior experience a jeep comes apart pretty darn easy. hope it all goes back as easy....