A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning)

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 01-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #46
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Welcome aboard :-) Yeah no way I could dead lift it.. That would be a quick trip to the er.

Griffen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #47
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerkid View Post
Try being 17 and deadlifting the tcase into place behind the tranny, as you lay under the jeep.

No, it's not fun haha

Beautiful job on the 5! I'm staying tuned

What,? I did that 10 years ago when I was 50. now at 60 I have to sit and lift the t-case into place.....
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #48
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Well then count your blessings! Because everyone I know at that age is incapable of doing that without a free ride in the ambulance. Haha
Crawlerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #49
Joe6Pack74
1979 CJ7 

Looks good and thanks for the pictures of how the fuel lines hook up. I have a '79 CJ-7 but the only thing hooked up to the gas tank was the go-juice line. And they used copper line which collapsed.
Joe6Pack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #50
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerkid View Post
Well then count your blessings! Because everyone I know at that age is incapable of doing that without a free ride in the ambulance. Haha

You're right, i should be thank full.
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #51
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Awesome rebuild so far!

I just stumbled on this today, but I will be staying tuned.
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #52
carlbirt
1957 CJ5 

I too will be watching close seeing as you are already ahead of me. I am wating for a few nice days to finish taking the extras off so i can pull the tub off of my cj5.
carlbirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #53
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What,? I did that 10 years ago when I was 50. now at 60 I have to sit and lift the t-case into place.....
Me too, John. Only I held the tranny/Tcase/bellhousing up with my left hand while I got the bolts started into the block with my right. Didn't know there was another way!

Griffen... looks really good. The flash rust is a product of Florida. Our frame was rusting before our eyes while we sandblasted it! Your cousin, I'm sure, will know how to prep it for paint. I'm thinking I would want some kind of rust converter applied before priming, but I'm no pro. I don't know if that is a good idea for the tub or not.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #54
jeepcliffband
1977 CJ5 

I would recommend POR-15 or Rust Bullet for the tub, along with some internal frame coating from Eastwood. The little flash rust ain't no big deal, and after its coated it won't rust anymore.
jeepcliffband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #55
carlbirt
1957 CJ5 

Sorry to hijack just have on quick question. Is there a big difference in the two above products for rust?? Hijack over thank u
carlbirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #56
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

I'm not worried about the flash rust as he re-dusted it and primed it before it could flash again. He only just left it bare for me to come and inspect and to decide what metal work we were going to do.

I have a bit more time yesterday and pulled a few more items off the old roller in the car port. Removed the sway bar, steering stabilizer, and all the shocks. not too much left on the frame, just need to remove the steering box and the attached steering arm and rod. of which has presented some difficulty for me. I've remove the nuts from the bolt holding this steering rod but cannot seem to get the bolts to come out. in the pics below I've only loosely returned the nuts so not to loose them. I even tried to persuade them with a 3lb hand sledge and they didn't budge. any pointers on how I can get these two out? (note: I'm not trying to remove the pitman arm from the steering box, just the rod from the pitman arm, i think they are the tie rod ends) My goal is get the frame with axles still attached to my cousin's shop by this weekend. weather is looking up to get the powder coating work done.

As for my color current plan... the frame and all the underbelly parts are going to be all gloss black. I may add accents later to spruce it up but nothing right off. The body exterior will be Nissan Exterra Yellow (had one a few years back and loved the color) with all back accents, and the underside and interior (excluding dash) will be coated in black bed-liner material, also applied by my cousin. Needless to say I owe Cousin Jamie tons. I offered to be his labor slave whenever needed as a starter.
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #57
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

I think i just found my own answer.. they make a tool called a tie rod puller, hmmmm... imagine that.
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #58
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

you need 2ea. 3# hammers....

Thar dropped pitman arm sure lines up the geometry, too bad it increases the turning radius.
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #59
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen24 View Post
Got some more progress made tonight. Body Of and loaded up with the fenders, hood, and grill for some tlc from the bake and blast.

I very happy to confirm the frame in very good condition. only very minor surface rust looks like someone filled the frame with the spray can foam at one time. better than mud in there I guess.

Here are some pics of the rot around the rear body mounts, both nuts are spinning free has anyone fixed this and have a thread I can look over?

On the trailer and off it goes

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...205_184948.jpg
Check out my build thread (link in my sig), I'm currently fixing this same issue. I had rot on the inside (valence) and outside (body) so I cut out both sides and replaced the steel. Actually, I removed the entire valence so I was able to clean out and fix the boxed in valence section. I will be coating the inside with Por-15. I also made new body mounts because mine were in such horrible condition. Once all the pieces are fabbed up and repaired I will weld everything back together.
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #60
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Well, I got the tie rod ends off the pitman arm and steering knuckle today, was short work with the right tool, used the pickle fork wedge tool and a 5lb hammer - 3 whacks and they popped right off. Also removed the motor mount brackets and loaded her on the trailer to haul to my cousins shop tomorrow for a blast and powder-coat. Left it as a roller at this point for ease of movement. Felt like a major way-point for me. I think for the most part I am finally done tearing apart and will soon be putting back together Gotta say it, with no prior experience a jeep comes apart pretty darn easy. hope it all goes back as easy....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.