A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #31
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

I was able to get a bit more tinkering / demo done on the five tonight. Removed both the front and Rear drive-shafts, the Lower Steering Shaft Assembly, the alternator, the Fan blade, and the power stearing pump.

My new bargain Engine Stand

While tinkering around the engine tonight I noticed something that concerned me a little bit. On the passenger side front axle side of the frame a PO must have installed this bracket for the steering stabilizer shock to mount to. the only think is i see that it is cutting a groove into my tire there... nothing major yet but still cutting in..

Anyone else with a cj5 with steering stabilizer have the same mount here or is it normally in a different location?

Griffen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #32
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I would remove that. Not good. Mine clamps around the axle tube.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #33
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That looks like a home made stabilizer that was designed like that so the PO could use a long shock absorber that he had hanging around....

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Thanks guys, looks like I will be removing this bracket and buying the proper shock kit.
Unread 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #35
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Spent the night last night pulling my engine, transmission and transfer case. Poor budget engine stand strains to hold the 258. Will post some pics later tonight. Looks like I will need a new gear ring for the fly wheel, current one has quite a few chewed up teeth. Pulled the tranny and xfer case together and was barely able to lift them... Didn't want to sperate and drain them. Was hoping to only give them good cleaning, we shall see once cleaned and I take as peek inside. Now I am trying to figure out how to get all that remains off the frame so I can send it in for new power coating.
Unread 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #36
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I didn't separate my tranny and Tcase either, but it was a 2-man job to move/lift them. We degreased and painted them up, and they came out looking good. There is some good info about changing out the gear on your flywheel that will make it easier. IIRC, you need to count the teeth and be sure you get the same one. Maybe someone will remember where the thread is with the pics on changing the gear. It invloves putting the flywheel in the freezer.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #37
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Here are the pictures as promised.

Engine on the lift, I used two chains just to be on the safe side.

Got the T150 and the Dana 20 out, boy are these guys grungy. That little dolly was creaking and groaning under the weight of this but it saved the back some strain.

and whoala... a new cleaned off frame... still have a few days of work ahead of me but shouldn't be to bad.... right?

And here the 258 will rest untill the fame comes back from a good blasting and paint job.
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #38
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

There is NOTHING in the world like having a CJ disassembled in your garage! Way to go Griffen.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #39
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

looks good so far. nice work
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #40
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Skerr

There is NOTHING in the world like having a CJ disassembled in your garage! Way to go Griffen.
Thanks Skerr/mjfitz99, It does feel pretty good having most of the tear down done and tucked away. Just hoping i remember how it all fits back together for the reassembally... I've had a recent dream or two about missing parts.

Need an opinion from the group. since I'm this far should I be running new fuel/brake lines or just cleaning up the ones there already. There doesn't appear to be any signs of leakage but i have no idea how old these are.

My game plan for this weekend is to remove the steering box, steering stabilizer, Then roll the rest out into the yard and squirt it all down with degreaser and scrub/power wash as much of the caked on grime, clay, and muddobber nests I can.
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #41
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Just wanted to hop on and wish everyone a Merry Christmas!
Unread 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #42
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

In need of suggestions on what chemicals are safe to use on the refuel and brake lines to clean 20+ years of grime off of them. Looks like caked on clay and grease. They are still mounted on the frame at the moment. Thinking I can douse them with some thing like purple power and the hit them with a power sprayer. If I blow any holes in them then i know it's time to replace them. Just and to check that purple power won't do more damage than good.
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #43
bluwtrsurfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen24
In need of suggestions on what chemicals are safe to use on the refuel and brake lines to clean 20+ years of grime off of them. Looks like caked on clay and grease. They are still mounted on the frame at the moment. Thinking I can douse them with some thing like purple power and the hit them with a power sprayer. If I blow any holes in them then i know it's time to replace them. Just and to check that purple power won't do more damage than good.
Purple power will be ok to clean the lines, I am assuming you are talking about hard lines... Another good cleaning agent that I've used is Simple Green.

81 Jeep CJ5 4" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires.
bluwtrsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #44
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

New Years update.

Pulled my fuel and brake lines today. seem to be in good shape for the most part so i will likely just clean all the crud off and reuse them.

Also when by my cousins paint shop and checked out what my tub looks like neckad (baked and dusted) I an very pleased. looks like i will be able to get by with must less metal body work than expected. And My cousin will be handling the body work for me. Though i will try my best to be then when he is working on it so I can learn for any future projects. but take a looksy. It's showing some surface flash on it but will be dusted again and primed for work just needed to take a gander at her in the buff to decide if i was going to use her or replace with fiberglass. definitely going with this tub now. my poor dash panel suffered some collateral damage and was bent, hoping to be able to bend her back out and the hood was no where to be seen. I'm sure it will show up.

Unread 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #45
Crawlerkid
1983 CJ7 

Try being 17 and deadlifting the tcase into place behind the tranny, as you lay under the jeep.

No, it's not fun haha

Beautiful job on the 5! I'm staying tuned
Crawlerkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.