A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > A novice's 1979 CJ5 restoration (The Beginning)

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 11-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #16
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Looks good so far.

So you didn't really say how far you were going to take it, (new versus old) replacing parts, custom aftermarket farkles etc......

Yeah, I'm jealous of the two car garage, with option to work (covered) outdoors or inside.

JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #17
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I applaud you wanting to jump right in there and do a complete teardown. From what I've seen of your tub, so far, it's looks pretty good, considering. Of course, it may be a different story, after media blasting. Hopefully, you can save it.

So...are you gonna get a part-time job, for all the extra dough you'll need for this project ? These jeeps will eat you up alive!

Good luck!

BTW...you might as well buy a welder, anyway. They come in handy for these projects.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Doing all the work at my parents house about 3 miles away, as I only have a puny bay and half at home full of junk.. yeah that have a triple bay garage with car port for each bay. Makes it nice I do agree. I tear it apart and move the parts inside for storage.

As for how far I am going to take it. Well I am going all the way to the frame off and out. Waiting to get the tub off and over to my cousin for the bake and blast. If it looks OK I will pick up a welder and "try" to learn to weld as I repair it. If now I will order the fiberglass body set from 4wd. The motor seems strong enough, and I have never worked on a motor before so other than clean and paint it will likely remain intact. I will replace any parts that I find along he way that are worn out or broken.

Changes that I have considered include the following.
Convert to a power break set up with front discs
Replace 3 speed with a 5 speed trany
Fresh paint all over.

Who knows what else, I don't want t to get to far ahead of where I am.
Griffen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Tonight i finally got the rest of the junk off of the tub tonight. I had to cut two body mount bolts out as the captured but spun. Not too worried about then as the sheet metal box encasing them are pretty rusted out and would need rebuilt anyways. Will snap some pics once I get the tub lifted off and can get a clear view. Sending out the call for help to my local friends to get some strong arms and backs to move off the tub.

Taking a few days off to play Mr mom while my wife is away. Then will pick back up next week.
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #20
jeepcliffband
1977 CJ5 

Heh heh heh. Man I had no clue what I was doing either when I pulled pulled apart my Jeep. Just looking at your teardown is giving me flashbacks of the anxiety I had ripping my running Jeep apart. I have to say tho that in the process of the rebuild, I made decisions to upgrade so many things that I initially didn't plan on... part of the process I guess. Your rust spots don't look so bad. Easily fixable. Id stay with the steel tub. Anyhow, good luck.

jeepcliffband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hang in there Griffen. If there's a will there is definitely a way. And jeepcliffband is right! I didn't know nuthin when I pulled our Jeep apart. Complete frame off, and now it's turning heads! You'll get there.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #22
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Pulling the tub tonight after work. I have a few remaining nuts and holds I will try to extract once off the frame. The bolts holding the tail lights and the seatbelt bolt on the floor board mainly.

Looks like I will need to rebuild the rear body mounts. Anyone know of any good threads out there on how to fab these. Looking for any ideas.

Body off pics to come tonight.
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #23
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Post up some pics of what you're looking at. Making them is not hard. It is very straightforward. Or you can buy premade mounts, or you can have a welding shop make them. Depends completely on the budget.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #24
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Got some more progress made tonight. Body Of and loaded up with the fenders, hood, and grill for some tlc from the bake and blast.

I very happy to confirm the frame in very good condition. only very minor surface rust looks like someone filled the frame with the spray can foam at one time. better than mud in there I guess.

Here are some pics of the rot around the rear body mounts, both nuts are spinning free has anyone fixed this and have a thread I can look over?

On the trailer and off it goes

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...205_184948.jpg
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #25
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'm no help with this... you're ahead of me! I think I would cut out the rotting metal, giving you access to the nuts, fix any bad metal/weld in new nut, weld in repair patch.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #26
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

OK status update. Hauled the tub, fenders, hood, grill and dash over to Pop's Painting (cousins shop) for bake and blast.

Check out what the shop is working on in-line ahead of me... It a Convair F2Y Sea Dart. to the owners knowledge this is one of only 4 still intact (well will be when their done)

Needless to say I'm excited to see what my tub will look like once these guys are done with it.
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #27
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Got some other minor work done this week.

Removed the fuel tank

I disconnected my exhaust but later realized it was all welded in one so that will have to remain until remove the motor from the frame. just cant seem to squeak it past the clutch fork no matter how i turn it.

I also started disassembling mi speedo for restoration. I happen to have two of them and some other spare dash components from a justed out parts cj7 i picked up a while back just to practice on.

looks like some whiteish power build up on the speedo face plate and the needles were almost mildewed off color so i will be cleaning them and touching up the needles with fresh color.

Parts jeep, Long since torn down and parted out.
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #28
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Picked up a cheepo engine stand off of craigslist tonight for $20. so this weekend goal will be to get the 258 ready for removal. Open for any tips on this part. I think i will be replacing the clutch while i have the motor out. (better now than once its all back together). Is there anything else suggested I do to the motor while I have her out in the buff? No mechanical concerns as shes running strong with no leaks, smoke, or abnormal sounds other than a whistling somewhere in the intake. PO states a recent top end job was done on it and i have noticed the head looks newer and the freeze plugs are like brans new and shiny on it. But anything I can do now to save me later, I'd prefer to do it. I will be doing a verry good detail cleaning of the 258 while shes out.

Any suggestions on where to hook up to the 258 for hoisting, should i be removing any of the acc's (carb, alt, PS pump, etc) or will they be fine?

Guess i will also be detaching the drive shafts so the tranny and xfer case can be removed also.
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #29
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen24 View Post
OK status update. Hauled the tub, fenders, hood, grill and dash over to Pop's Painting (cousins shop) for bake and blast.

Needless to say I'm excited to see what my tub will look like once these guys are done with it.
Thought you were going to tell us about the new engine you picked up for the 5!!!! That is COOL!

Quote:
Got some other minor work done this week.

looks like some whiteish power build up on the speedo face plate and the needles were almost mildewed off color so i will be genitally cleaning them and touching up the needles with fresh color.
Not sure I want to hear anymore about this. Although it got my attention!

Quote:
Picked up a cheepo engine stand off of craigslist tonight for $20. so this weekend goal will be to get the 258 ready for removal. Open for any tips on this part. I think i will be replacing the clutch while i have the motor out. (better now than once its all back together). Is there anything else suggested I do to the motor while I have her out in the buff? No mechanical concerns as shes running strong with no leaks, smoke, or abnormal sounds other than a whistling somewhere in the intake. PO states a recent top end job was done on it and i have noticed the head looks newer and the freeze plugs are like brans new and shiny on it. But anything I can do now to save me later, I'd prefer to do it. I will be doing a verry good detail cleaning of the 258 while shes out.

Any suggestions on where to hook up to the 258 for hoisting, should i be removing any of the acc's (carb, alt, PS pump, etc) or will they be fine?

Guess i will also be detaching the drive shafts so the tranny and xfer case can be removed also.
First thing... MAKE SURE your cheapo engine stand will hold up your engine. If the PO stressed it, or treated it wrong, I would be concerned. Maybe it is a moot point, but I know the very first time I bolted an engine to a stand I was a little worried about all that weight hanging on those small plates and bolts.

When I pulled our 258 and T18/D20, all together, I used a bell housing bolt and an exhaust manifold bolt, diagonal from each other. The manifold bolt is a 3/8. Get a longish one. I would remove accessories as much as possible. It's too easy for the chain to shift and swipe a power steering pump off the bracket, then you'll be mad at yourself!

Our engine ran well when we pulled it, so we didn't do any engine work. We just cleaned and painted. Some guys like to go into the oil pump and replace it as a maintenance item.

Yep, drop your DS. Pull them out and paint them too.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #30
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

Yeah, sometimes I just can't spell and the outcome is mighty funny... Won't be the last spelling/incorrect word in the thread I promise.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.