novice..... general question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > novice..... general question

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
littleturner76
1984 CJ8 

novice..... general question

Just trying to pick at my jeep!!!!! I am a learn as I go type person so I am going to ask this:
258, weber, nuttered.
It is hard to start after sitting overnight or any period of time, probably have to crank it for 60-90 seconds before it fires. My question is, does the fuel lines drain empty after sitting? the reason I ask is, I changed the fuel filter trying to diagnos other issues and it is bone dry, not even a drop of gas is left behind in the filter ir the lines connecting to it. Is this normal? "It dies everytime I let my foot of the gas so I am batting with a football anyway."

Unread 10-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Lil Turner

Mine did this as well. If you look, there should be two lines going in one side of the fuel filter. There's a return line and a feed line.

The return line should be rotated to the top (12 o'clock) to prevent the gas from draining back into the tank.

I did this and it helped a little, but still have to crank if it's been sitting.

BTW, try the "Search" feature. There's a ton of info on this subject.

Last edited by JeePete; 10-08-2010 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: text
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Replace all rubber lines with new. Even a pinhole leak will allow the gas to drain back to the tank. Double check all clamps. Make sure the return line is oriented at the 12:00 position. Fuel pumps can allow air into the system, and they also act as a check valve. A new pump can fix it, or not!
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

For the dying at stop signs:

First check the idles tubes to see if they are clogged.(Lots of info if you search)
Second if still dying, set vacuum gap and vacuum piston in carb.(FSM can be found on this site, page b-244)
While your at it, set the fuel float level, the accelerator pump, the choke, and your idle.
Then find your best lean idle using a vacuum gauge while adjusting the mixture screws.

If all of this doesn't solve your problem, chunk the carter for a motorcraft 2100!
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
littleturner76
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman View Post

If all of this doesn't solve your problem, chunk the carter for a motorcraft 2100!
Its a weber. I have searched and read most of all the Weber write ups on the forum and I think I am just not "getting it". I did not know about the 12 O'clock position of the return line. Will try this. all the rubber hoses are new but the metal lines are still original but look to be in good shape. I do not have any fancy vacuum gauges nor would I know how to use them. I broke down about 45 minutes ago and dropped the Jeep off for the first time since I started my project for someone ealse to try and fix it. Wish him luck! I will let u know the damage, and if I am not back on here ever again it is because my wife does not know I took the jeep to a mechanic today.
Unread 10-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleturner76 View Post
Its a weber. I have searched and read most of all the Weber write ups on the forum and I think I am just not "getting it". I did not know about the 12 O'clock position of the return line. Will try this. all the rubber hoses are new but the metal lines are still original but look to be in good shape. I do not have any fancy vacuum gauges nor would I know how to use them. I broke down about 45 minutes ago and dropped the Jeep off for the first time since I started my project for someone ealse to try and fix it. Wish him luck! I will let u know the damage, and if I am not back on here ever again it is because my wife does not know I took the jeep to a mechanic today.
test your fuel pump i am assuming its a stock mechanical one. first get the engine warmed up. then make sure the carb is full of fuel. then disconnect the line before the filter. hook up a pressure gauge to the line from the pump. if the gauge has wild fluctuations at an idle or just off idle (0 to what ever) the internal check valves probably failed. while driving down the road this would not be too much a problem, but at idle and starting it would be just like you are describing.
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
littleturner76
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
test your fuel pump i am assuming its a stock mechanical one. first get the engine warmed up. then make sure the carb is full of fuel. then disconnect the line before the filter. hook up a pressure gauge to the line from the pump. if the gauge has wild fluctuations at an idle or just off idle (0 to what ever) the internal check valves probably failed. while driving down the road this would not be too much a problem, but at idle and starting it would be just like you are describing.
no gauges here. the fuel pump is new. I actually took it back to the store and got a replacement saying it was malfunctioned, but it acted the same with either pump.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.