Novak a good company? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Novak a good company?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Novak a good company?

Well I have been looking for T18, but ones that I know would convert easy were too expensive and the ones that needed fixing were selling like hot cakes. So I was just screwing around and found where Novak will build a 435 to your specs for $1500. That appears to include adapters for my Dana 300, the propper front end etc. Pilot bushing etc.

Is this a good company? ANd a decent deal? After all my searching I am happy with paying a little extra and putting in something I know is right and not going to nickle and dime me to make it work.

1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Aaroneous
1983 CJ7 

Not only is it a good company, but their support is fantastic and they are very helpful on the phone. I have no experience with their rebuilt trannies and t-cases, but as far as adapters go I've had nothing but good luck with them. They even built me a one-off pilot bushing for an older AMC crank.
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
CJ7Pilot

X2! I recently swapped in an AX15 between my 258 and Dana 300, and they provided me with everything I needed, including great tech support by phone.

Have fun!
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
yamaguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Location: McGuire AFB (Ft. Dix), NJ/Oxford, NC, I can't wait until I get to leave NJ!
Novak is great. I have never bought a tranny or t-case either but I have dealt with their adapters and engine mounts. Their customer service is second to none and they are very knowledgable when it comes time to ask them technical questions related to your swap. Also you can look into transmissions from ManTrans. I think that is the name of the company. I bought my NV4500 and 231 from them. Their customer service is not 100% but I think they offered the lowest priced NV4500 when I was in the market.

Dave
Square Headlights group member #222
Armed Forces Jeeps group member #65
United States Air Force group member #12
Guns and Jeeps group member #10
Ron Paul Jeepers group member #7
yamaguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I read a thread today asking which is better, Novak or Advance Adapters. Nobody had anything bad to say about either company but at least 80% said that service from Novak was exceptional. Novak had a note on one page saying that the AX5 tranny was really a small car tranny and not worth using in a jeep or truck. So there is even an element of looking out for you on their web page.

I have not ever dealt with them personally but if I needed an adapter that is where I would go just from researching online.
Unread 02-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Aaroneous
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
Novak had a note on one page saying that the AX5 tranny was really a small car tranny and not worth using in a jeep or truck.
Yup. They are very clear what to avoid and don't candy coat it (i.e. - answering the "can I run a T5 behind my 401?" question honestly). I think they'll even go so far as refusing to sell you something that is inappropriate for your application. Good stuff!
Unread 02-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
JavaTee
1979 CJ5 

I ordered there NP435/Dana 300 adapter kit. I had never opened a tranny before, and there directions were very thorough. The kit was top notch, the install went seamlessly, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. If I wasn't looking to save some dollars, they would have rebuilt my tranny.
Later, T.J.
JavaTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

A superbly classy company. I purchased a NP 435 from them about a month later I had a slight problem with my 3rd-4th gear syncro. They shipped out a new one and offered to pay a shop to replace it locally. I installed it my self and got a very nice discount on the Tera Low 4-1 kit.

These guys buck the trend in this day and age of poor customer service and a take it or leave attitude. You wont go wrong with them.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
dirtman13
2007 CJ7 

Novak was a tremendous help for me on my engine swap. Great customer service and great products. You'll have no issues with them.
dirtman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

THIS IS A LOT TO READ, BUT HOPEFULLY IT WILL PREVENT OTHERS FROM GOING THROUGH THIS!!

I had a slightly different experience with Novak. I ordered a short shaft kit from them, when I was swapping a FSJ T-18 into my CJ.

The salesperson that I bought from, was a young guy. I think he was a new employee. I relied on his expertise to help me order my parts. Well, after I finished the swap, I soon discovered that he didn't ask enough questions.

The pilot shaft/bearing was installed. Everything buttoned up, new seals and gaskets in the D20 tcase, all cleaned and painted. Very nice.

I installed the new pilot bushing that was part of the kit. It went into the certerhole of the crank perfectly! Beautiful.

Then I measured the length of the new shaft stickout, then measured the depth of the T-150 bellhousing. I realized that the input shaft would not reach the pilot bushing. Not so good...

I called Novak, and explained my situation. I told the tech guy that I was using my T-150 bellhousing. He said "Well, that's where you went wrong. You HAVE to use a T-18 bellhousing from a CJ, to work." I could have sworn that I've read many times that a T-150 would work. He said, "No." Bummer!

I immediately called a guy that sells used jeep parts. He sold me a T-18 bellhousing, from a CJ, for $85.00. I was tickled pink to get one so quickly. It still had to be shipped here, though.

I called Novak back, right after I hung up from the used jeep parts guy. I had to ask another question, and got a different tech guy (Eric). He said that a T-150 bell would work just fine. WTF!!

What he told me was that this application took a different style of pilot bushing. It takes the Ford style. My first young salesman never mentioned this. It's like a 2" disc, with a hole drilled in the center. It sits farther outward, in the crank. Another $25.00, or so....but, I was glad that I was still moving forward.

Finally get the whole job done. new clutch components, brand new 401 flywheel, new bellcrank components, the whole shebang!

OK...the big moment! Here we go! I get out onto the main road. It shifts fine. I'm in 4th gear, and....it pops out of gear. I shift back into 4th gear, and...it pops out again! It didn't want to stay in 4th gear. I wanted to puke.

Back to my friends garage, where we did the job. I parked it, and drove my pickup home. The next day, I drove the jeep home (10 miles), holding it in 4th gear.

I pulled the tranny. The brand new input shaft bearing retainer had a blue ring around it and was cracked (from heat buildup).

I called Novak the next day. I ASKED for Eric. He told me that there are 2 different thickness input shaft bearings (20mm and 23mm). Again, the young guy never mentioned this. I, of course, had the wrong one. Eric profusely apologized, and sent me all free components, along with a few other goodies.

In the end, it all worked out, but what an ordeal!

Several morals to the story....
-don't buy a FSJ T-18, if you can help it.
-When dealing with Novak, ask for Eric
-If anyone needs a CJ T-18 bellhousing, I have one....

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Sounds like the moral of the story is to ask for Eric. I saw the name Eric as a tech person who was helpful in another Novak post.
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneous View Post
They even built me a one-off pilot bushing for an older AMC crank.
FYI, Bulltear has been doing this for a long time. What did you pay for that?

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.