JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Novak Adapters...not good.... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/novak-adapters-not-good-1279005/)

turtlerace 10-19-2011 05:40 PM

Novak Adapters...not good....

I ordered an adapter from Novak on sunday to adapt my AMC 360 to a TH350 transmission. Their website listed a 3-4 day UPS delivery window which worked just fine for me seeing how outrageous their shipping prices were. So when part ships on monday, I should have a good window for delivery by this weekend.

Today I get the notification that they shipped it....today! I immediately called to ask why they waited three days to ship it and they said they were out of stock until today. When ordering there was no indication of the item being out of stock or on any back-order. When I informed them that the part was needed for install this weekend I was told that I should have called and actually spoken to a customer service representative and they would have made it happen, but since I ordered it online I get what I get.

Of course I commented that I was just going to refuse their shipment when it hits my door and order instead from Advance Adapters (who is 65 bucks cheaper anyway). Their reply was that I would have to pay the shipping both ways and that they will charge a 15% restocking fee, but they might help me a little on the fee part, maybe.

I work in the shipping industry and expect delays from companies that handle and exist through drop-shipment, but delays like this from a direct shipment supplier without notification of said delays and availability problems is rediculous. Then to add to the sillyness, they not only want to charge me to re-stock and item that obviously wasn't in stock anyway (not counting the double shipping charges) but they admitted that internet orders hold no priority with them????

So now, I have time set aside and help lined up this weekend to pull this off with no part. If it had been a shipping delay on the window given to UPS I would have understood and just bit the bullet.

Am I wrong about being a little miffed about this?

BagusJeep 10-19-2011 06:17 PM

Yes.

mrgimble 10-19-2011 06:20 PM

I ordered my Dana 300 rebuild kit from them. I got absolutely no help from them when I called about missing parts in their better than everyone else's rebuild kit, which actually was the same as everyone else's rebuild kit, just more expensive. Guy never called me back like he said he would.

yamaguy01 10-19-2011 06:20 PM

I understand your pain but, I have had nothing but exceptional service Novak. Best of luck with your project though.

turtlerace 10-19-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagusJeep (Post 12351993)
Yes.

You have convinced me!:laugh:

weehce 10-19-2011 06:27 PM

It's not just them. I've had problem's with other Internet suppliers. I think it is just a sign of the times!

Max-Q 10-19-2011 06:38 PM

I ordered an Advanced Adapters adapter kit for my 700R4 to Dana 300 from Summit. Summit of course didn't actually have it in stock and it was to be drop shipped from AA. It took nearly a month for me to actually get it from AA.

It's not just Novak. It seems to happen for lots of auto parts these days. Companies don't seem to keep a supply of parts in stock and they just act as a middle man between you and the manufacturer.

turtlerace 10-19-2011 06:49 PM

That's the thing though, Novak is the manufacturer. If anyone knew there would be a shipping issue or a stock shortage it should be them. And if the issue was found, all they had to do was dial up the specs and pop one off. Instead they didn't worry about it because it was just an internet order.

So glad they feel free to play with my time and my money.

kickingprop 10-19-2011 07:01 PM

honestly...I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill on this one. two day delays while they hurry to make more parts to get them to you as quickly as possible doesnt seem like that big of a deal. Not after hearing the nightmares people have had with 4wd, Oconee, and other vendors who have taken months to get orders out.

I guarantee you that the customer service you get from AA would be far worse...

FLynes 10-19-2011 07:06 PM

They should have had the courtesy to email you that there was a delay in shipping. I am not impressed with Novak. When I called them to see if they carried the insert springs for the 2nd-3rd synchro and the snap ring for my T-150, the guy told me those parts aren't made anymore and my transmission was useless, but he had a T-150 that he would sell me. I thanked him for his time and hung up. I then started searching the internet and found the spare parts I need on another site.

addicted2dunes 10-19-2011 07:07 PM

I love Novak, they've always been helpful to me. I called AA and they are seriously right up the road from me, I can pick up parts but they were a bunch of rude @$$E$ when I called. So now I deal with Novak. The mistake I see that you made was:

Whenever I need something within the week I ALWAYS call in the order to make sure everything is good to go. Novak is a small machine shop, not a web design center, they don't have all the fancy software to update they're website with what they have in stock.

My one piece of advise is to always call in your order to anywhere if you need it by a certain time window.

Jim1611 10-19-2011 07:10 PM

Jeremy I think the Novak part will be a good one. With that being said if you were to refuse the order you'd be that much more behind. I'd say get the Novak. Also if I'm up against time I always call instead of order through the internet. Hey post some pictures of it if you get it, I'd like to see if it's better quality than my Advance Adapter.

turtlerace 10-19-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2dunes (Post 12352320)
I love Novak, they've always been helpful to me. I called AA and they are seriously right up the road from me, I can pick up parts but they were a bunch of rude @$$E$ when I called. So now I deal with Novak. The mistake I see that you made was:

Whenever I need something within the week I ALWAYS call in the order to make sure everything is good to go. Novak is a small machine shop, not a web design center, they don't have all the fancy software to update they're website with what they have in stock.

My one piece of advise is to always call in your order to anywhere if you need it by a certain time window.

I set my window after ordering the part. According to the site and my verification, the part should have been her thursday, friday at the latest.

Also, I used internet ordering because I work more hours than they are open in a day. I had to pull over on the side of the road today to hunt down their number and call them when I got the late shipment notification.

Really found it odd to hear someone expressly say that they don't really worry too much with internet orders....

commadore64 10-19-2011 07:18 PM

I basically agree with kickingprop... we have all had bad dealings with somebody and their shipping. Sometimes things work out for you... sometimes they don't. I've had good luck with service from Novak on my conversion parts. BTW, I've also ordered twice from Oconee and the only complaint I have is they were suppose to call me back but didn't... I called them and got what I needed. That has usually been my biggest gripe... not returning my phone call, but all companies seem to have that problem anymore... the customer doesn't mean anything anymore. OK, enough of my rant.

turtlerace 10-19-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim1611 (Post 12352334)
Jeremy I think the Novak part will be a good one. With that being said if you were to refuse the order you'd be that much more behind. I'd say get the Novak. Also if I'm up against time I always call instead of order through the internet. Hey post some pictures of it if you get it, I'd like to see if it's better quality than my Advance Adapter.

Eh, it has already been sitting for four months, what's a few more.:laugh:

Project has been on the back burner, but it was so convenient to see how many pieces fell into place when I thought the part would be here for this weekend. I work about 60 a week and am a single dad so time is short. That and help was always iffy at best.

This weekend, no other projects that took top priority, the kid is home to fetch tools, and two friends set things aside to help. Just my luck....:dunno:

The time now is 06:42 AM.