*note on blazer motor upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > *note on blazer motor upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-10-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

*note on blazer motor upgrade

Just a suggestion for anyone planning to do the heater motor upgrade: Try getting the heater from Advance. I believe they sell Factory Air brand heater motors. I bought a Siemens from Autozone and it turned out to be the one that is a bit too long. I already had my one and only ride torn all apart to put it in before I realized that it wouldn't fit, so I made some modifications and made it work. But, for any potential motor buyers, try the one from advance. Their's is $20.99. I opted for the heavy duty version (with A/C) from autozone and it was only $13.99. But I also compared it to the standard duty version ($15.99) and they were the same size. I'm betting the one at advance is the shorter one.

Last edited by jeepsarecool; 02-11-2004 at 12:32 AM..
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2004, 02:13 AM   #2
knifeboy2

It doesn't matter where you buy it from. There are two motors out there.......one with a short shaft and one with a long shaft. I bought mine at Autozone and it had the short shaft. I did my research properly before I bought it and made sure it was right before I paid for it. And by the way, I got mine for a Blazer with no A/C like all the websites I read said to do. The one with A/C isn't any more powerful. Just clearing things up.
Unread 02-11-2004, 05:05 AM   #3
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeboy2
It doesn't matter where you buy it from. There are two motors out there.......one with a short shaft and one with a long shaft. I bought mine at Autozone and it had the short shaft. I did my research properly before I bought it and made sure it was right before I paid for it. And by the way, I got mine for a Blazer with no A/C like all the websites I read said to do. The one with A/C isn't any more powerful. Just clearing things up.
I got them both out of the box and compared them. That's what I'm saying. They are exactly the same, with or without a/c. At least the ones at MY autozone were. Siemens part #PM102 without a/c, Siemens part #PM105 with a/c. So, MY conclusion was, the shorter shaft must not be Siemens.

Last edited by jeepsarecool; 02-11-2004 at 05:08 AM..
Unread 02-11-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
rcsutton
2010 JK Wrangler 

How much of a differance does it really make?
Unread 02-11-2004, 08:47 PM   #5
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsutton
How much of a differance does it really make?
It makes enough difference that I had to get the dremel out and do some cutting on my heater housing and also add some washers to the the screws on the motor. It can be made to work, but it's quite a bit more trouble. Try to find the short one.
Unread 02-12-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...pe=117&PTSet=A

This is the right one I believe.
Unread 02-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams68

Yep, I agree. That's the same one that Advance autoparts sells. Factory Air is the company that makes it.
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
twmattox

I, too had troubles. However, I mistakenly ordered the PM 102. When I put it back togehter, everything seemed to fit, until I turned the fan on...then everything broke. After getting a new hampster wheel (fan blede), I went to Autozone and compared to the PM 105. The shafts are different lengths (your's may have been a return part?)... I have since done this a few more times and the PM 105 is the correct length. To be sure, make sure to compare shaft lengths with your motor prior to installation...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2004, 03:02 PM   #9
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmattox
I, too had troubles. However, I mistakenly ordered the PM 102. When I put it back togehter, everything seemed to fit, until I turned the fan on...then everything broke. After getting a new hampster wheel (fan blede), I went to Autozone and compared to the PM 105. The shafts are different lengths (your's may have been a return part?)... I have since done this a few more times and the PM 105 is the correct length. To be sure, make sure to compare shaft lengths with your motor prior to installation...
Hmmm, really? Maybe you're right. The one I got might have been in the wrong box. The both looked identical so I went with the one that was 2 bucks cheaper which was supposedly the PM105.
Unread 11-06-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
romans111

Hey ya'll i have been reading about this upgrade for a while and finally decided to do it before another long cold winter. I went by what http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/body/heater.html said to get for a blower motor as they sem to best the best place with a write up. I was unaware up this whole shaft issue though. I got a 79' chevy blazer 350 with air like it said in the article from autozone. On the box it says it is a factory air and it has the number 35588. On the actual motor it says
11588 12v 04016. The only shaft that I see sticking out seems to look maybe jsut a little over an inch long. Does this seem to be the right one? By the way dont know if Ill ever need it but it came with a lifetime warranty and only costs $18.99. Sorry to sound so ignorant about this but just wanted to be sure.
Thanks ya'll
romans111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2004, 08:12 AM   #11
wm69

From my experience there are two different shaft lengths, but that's not the problem from this thread. I got two PM102's (one for each jeep) and the shafts on those two were a little different. One went in with no problem and the other required a little shimming to make it work. Sounds to me like the quality control on these things isn't all that great and the tolarances on them leaves room for quite a bit of difference. As for the whole long shaft/ short shaft thing, the long shaft is supposed to be a LOT longer than the short shaft. Sounds like you guys are getting the right motor (you wouldn't be able to make the long shaft work with a few washers) but you are getting one with a little out-of-spec shaft on it. There's probably no real way to tell except to take your stock motor and measure several of the new ones until you get a match.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2004, 09:55 AM   #12
twmattox

Before I was aware of the shaft difference, I had bought one. The one I bought was the long shaft (not realizing this). To make it work, I had to shim the motor out of the housing by nearly 3/4 of an inch and then seal the gap. It worked, just wasn't as pretty...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2004, 08:29 PM   #13
sonoran

Take a look at this guy's blower motor upgrade:

http://www.manoian.net/jeep/blower_fan.html

Note the part number on the fan and his description of his problems. I think this must be what you encountered. And the PM105 must be the longer shaft motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool
Just a suggestion for anyone planning to do the heater motor upgrade: Try getting the heater from Advance. I believe they sell Factory Air brand heater motors. I bought a Siemens from Autozone and it turned out to be the one that is a bit too long. I already had my one and only ride torn all apart to put it in before I realized that it wouldn't fit, so I made some modifications and made it work. But, for any potential motor buyers, try the one from advance. Their's is $20.99. I opted for the heavy duty version (with A/C) from autozone and it was only $13.99. But I also compared it to the standard duty version ($15.99) and they were the same size. I'm betting the one at advance is the shorter one.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2004, 08:31 AM   #14
custom-cruiser

My toes are getting warm just thinking about doing this one!
85 CJ7-Holley Projection on a 258-Sport seats with 4 point harness-Sealed Battery-8000 lb winch with roller fairlead-Home fab front and rear bumpers-Stainless dress up stuff-31" Wild Country on Aluminum rims-Hard doors and top-
[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkRed]Soon to be 350 Chevy.[/COLOR].......[/SIZE]
custom-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2004, 08:37 AM   #15
bowlsy23

blazer motor

Take a look at this guy's blower motor upgrade:

http://www.manoian.net/jeep/blower_fan.html

Note the part number on the fan and his description of his problems. I think this must be what you encountered. And the PM105 must be the longer shaft motor.

You are exactly correct. I am in the middle of this conversion as we speak and I just picked up the blower motor from napa last night. I had the guy at napa pull out the PM105 and the PM102 and you can clearly see the difference in the shaft length. I compared the PM102 with my old jeep motor and they are exactly the same length. It even comes with a plug to fill the vent hole in the new motor! Well worth the $22!!!
bowlsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.