not enough suspension travel??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > not enough suspension travel???

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
chevypowered
1981 CJ7 

not enough suspension travel???

Hey guys just wondering if any of you had this problem or if theres a kit out there that would take care of this. I have a 1981 cj7 with a 4" lift, most of the places i wheel are rockey so flex is a must. It just seems that i should be able to get a lot more flex then I'm getting now. When it is flexed all the way the shocks seem to be restricting it from going further both up and down. I double checked the shocks and they seem to be the correct ones. Any thoughts or ideas?

chevypowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
CJ7Sasquatch
1979 CJ7 

If you think the shocks are hindering your travel, take em off and the go flex it out, measure the compressed side and extended side both front and back, then that gives you a basis on the true length you need, most lifts out there give you to short of a shock, could also be bump stops, do you have bump stops? I don't run bump stops and mine flex's great, course it's soa but I plan on atleast putting in limit straps
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

If you have a swaybar, disconnect it/get some quick disconnects.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
chevypowered
1981 CJ7 

No i am not running and bump stops or a sway bar. I will defintally try disconnecting the front shocks. How do i know if it is flexed as far as it will go? When one of the rear tires lifts off the ground?
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Other than that 4.5" Rough Country lift limiting travel, Then the only thing left is the shocks.
Did you take the additional length of the monster shackles into consideration when you ordered the length of your shocks ?
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Use a forklift and raise one of the front tires up until the back tire is about to lift off the ground. Measure one side to get your extended length, the other for your collapsed length. Just don't roll your Jeep in the parking lot.....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
chevypowered
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7
Other than that 4.5" Rough Country lift limiting travel, Then the only thing left is the shocks.
Did you take the additional length of the monster shackles into consideration when you ordered the length of your shocks ?
No i did not even think of that. When i bought the jeep it just had the shackle lift, i put the suspension. Lift in and never changed out the shackles. Thanks
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
chevypowered
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Use a forklift and raise one of the front tires up until the back tire is about to lift off the ground. Measure one side to get your extended length, the other for your collapsed length. Just don't roll your Jeep in the parking lot.....
I dont have a forklift but i do have a lift so i could try throwing one of the armes under one side. Just put it under the u bolts should be good rite?
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Just as along as it doesn't slip off and totally bash in the under side of the Jeep. Maybe use a strap hooked to the axle and then to the arm...

Anyone have an RTI ramp in the area? Loading dock at a business?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
chevypowered
1981 CJ7 

Loading dock, thats a good idea if the lift idea dosent work out. thanks
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
CJ7Sasquatch
1979 CJ7 

That's how I've always done it, loading docks are great and usually quite on the weekend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.