Not another...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Not another......

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
bptactical

Not another......

Yup, another FNG. Not a first time Jeep owner though, I had a 77 CJ7-258 and T-18.
Sold it when I bought our boat kicked myself in the keester ever since.

So I just picked up a 79 CJ7, 304, Auto, low range option on the Quadratrac and Mile Marker part time set up.
The price was right- 4 boxes (80 rds) of Remington 223 and threaded a 10/22 barrel for a suppressor (I'm a Gunsmith).
It obviously was a Renegade or Laredo, tilt wheel, tach and clock.
PO says the tranny is shelled but I need to fire it up first to verify, given some of the stuff I have found on it I would not be surprised to find the converter was never seated or flex bolt bolts were loose.
Need a top and seats first and foremost but oh well.

Anyways I am a long time lurker and first time poster.
Howdy all and Merry Christmas!

bptactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

Now thats what I call doing some tradin!
big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
CJJohn01
1979 CJ7 

Nice trade! Got the same jeep with golden eagle pkg. Welcome to the forum!
CJJohn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Welcome bp.

No pictures and it did not happen!!

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Wow, is ammo priced that high now?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'm reloading again today, spent most of yesterday cranking out .223 rounds.
Turns out, when all that cheap ammo was around, I kept my cases...
And last year's best present was a Dillon XL650, so I can crank out about 600 rounds an hour without breaking a sweat...

Anyway, '79, 304, TH-400 Trans, BW 1339 transfer case, AMC 20 rear, Dana 30 up front, Might have lock outs since someone has done the part time kit...

Where I would start is with a CLOSE visual inspection,
Then I'd do some pressure testing for function.

You DO need the spacer between engine and transmission with an Automatic, so make sure the last guy to have the trans out put the spacer back in,
And if all else fails, rebuild of a TH-400 is neither difficult or expensive compared with a lot of transmissions.

Welcome to the forum...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
You DO need the spacer between engine and transmission with an Automatic, so make sure the last guy to have the trans out put the spacer back in,
Which spacer would you be referring to, the one used on older TH400s between the bellhousing and block or the shim in the pilot bushing hole on the crank?

The bellhousing spacer wasn't used by the time CJs got the TH400. They had the correct bellhousing pattern and length on the AMC TH400s by then.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post

Which spacer would you be referring to, the one used on older TH400s between the bellhousing and block or the shim in the pilot bushing hole on the crank?

The bellhousing spacer wasn't used by the time CJs got the TH400. They had the correct bellhousing pattern and length on the AMC TH400s by then.
Agreed. The th400 in mine. (Originally from a commando) uses no spacer just the thin dust shield.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
bptactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
I'm reloading again today, spent most of yesterday cranking out .223 rounds.
Turns out, when all that cheap ammo was around, I kept my cases...
And last year's best present was a Dillon XL650, so I can crank out about 600 rounds an hour without breaking a sweat...

Anyway, '79, 304, TH-400 Trans, BW 1339 transfer case, AMC 20 rear, Dana 30 up front, Might have lock outs since someone has done the part time kit...

Where I would start is with a CLOSE visual inspection,
Then I'd do some pressure testing for function.

And if all else fails, rebuild of a TH-400 is neither difficult or expensive compared with a lot of transmissions.

Welcome to the forum...

Thanks for the welcome

I think the likelyhood of the complete part time conversion is high, the front axle sports the corrrect Warn manual hubs and the vacuum switches "Emergency Drive" sticker is correct for the conversion. I will know for sure when we go through the transfer case. I have a customer that owes me a couple of favors that builds trannys.
I also found out that the spring package is the HD package according to the VIN/body tag. Any way to find out for sure if it was a Renegade or Laredo?
It has the usual rust issues for a CJ of this vintage, front fenders and body right at the cowl support braces (Where to get braces?) but the rest of it is pretty sound, I will spend some TIG time filling holes people drilled though
Frame is rust free and running gear is solid.
What is the spacer you speak of on the tranny/engine-I am not familiar with it?
How I came upon it is funny, the gent I got it from and I were going over a project of his and BSing and as he knows I have a couple of connections with towing companies he asked me if I knew any scrappers. I asked him why and he told me about the CJ7. He told me he had gotten it from a guy in WY with the plans of building a crawler but as he started pulling it apart he realized there was a reason he worked on computers. He had also waited too long to try and title it, he had never gotten a VIN inspection and DMV told him they would not title it without it being bonded etc. He didnt want to deal with it anymore and his wife was nagging him to get rid of it.
So we struck the deal and I trailered it home. Now having friends in the towing business has its rewards, by the second day home I had the VIN inspection done and as a customers wife works for the DMV the next day I had a clear CO title in hand!
So I saved an awesome old CJ7 from the $200.00 scrappers hook! That is what the scrapper had offered him so the 4 boxes of ammo and my Gunsmithing work equalled out about the same, he was happy and so am I.

I will try to toss a few pics up later.
Unread 12-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Kstein
1985 CJ7 

Score!
Mods: Mopar MPI(in progress); 4.0 Al Cylinder Head; OME YJ Suspension; MC Seats; Tub liner; 31" Tires
Kstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
bptactical

Got a chance to power wash her today and blast off a good bit of the "Rustoleum Rebuild" and see what we have. Frame looks good from a cursory inspection with little rust. I washed out the frame rails throughly and although a bit of Wyomings finest dust washed out no rust chunks were apparent. No obvious cracks in the expected spots.
The tub is in very good shape with only minor rust on the floor pan (no through rust) and a bit at the typical cowl support braces. Body mount boxes look good. I should be able to patch things just fine there and I think the floor will be OK with a rust converter. I will know more when I wire wheel the floor to get the old carpet glue up. It has a six point cage and the plates on the front tubes are rusted pretty badly so they will have to go. The tube is in good shape from what I can see so far so the plan is new floor plates and I will probably sleeve the existing tubes on the OD about 4". Hopefully the floor underneath will be sound but I may plate it anyway as the cage mounting should be spread over as wide an area as possible (not gonna go frame mount at this time.
Dash wiring is not bad, a few extra wires and scotchlocks but not nearly as bad as some harnesses I have seen.
Front axle will need a rebuild, u joints are nasty and evidence of a weepy seal on the left side.
Rear diff is open, I won't know much more until I pull a drum.

Now I need to sell my 32 coupe project and get busy on the Jeep.
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
BeastOfBurden
1973 CJ5 

Wow... being the ammo lover that I am, as much as my beloved Beast of Burden... that is one sweet trade indeed.
BeastOfBurden is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.