Not able to power up my new wiring loom via Solonoid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Not able to power up my new wiring loom via Solonoid

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

Not able to power up my new wiring loom via Solonoid

Hi All - I put in a Painless Wiring harness and I was hoping to fire up my CJ today. But, I was wondering if I have a bad solonoid. I get nothing ( no current) at the fuse box. I was thinking that the fuse box gets power off the solonoid on the "I" side of the solonoid?? In the picture the "S" terminal ("start") is at the top. The three wires on the bottom are mounted to the "I" terminal. So, does it matter which side of the large posts on the solonoid the power cabe and starter mounts to? I get no power after the solonoid anywhere. Can the solonoid be bad?? I grounded the solonoid to the frame. I have a fiberglass body... Thanks for any input...

solonoid-002.jpg  
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

bump....
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
james04si

1977 CJ5 

On my semi stock PO hacked wiring the fuse box gets its power from the battery terminal side of the solonoid. The only other wires are the one going to the starter and the one to the ignition switch that tells the solenoid to give juice to the starter.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Fuse block gets it's power from the BATTERY CABLE side of the starter relay,
NOT the 'I' terminal.

The 'I' terminal provides current to the ignition coil during cranking...
The relay has to be energized before the 'I' terminal is 'Hot', so it can't possibly deliver current to the fuse block.

The Primary wires for both the Fuse Block and the Alternator should connect to the BATTERY CABLE side of the starter relay,
AND,
You should use a fusible link between primary wires and battery cable terminal...

This will tell you how to build your alternator/charging system harness,
Using the fusible link in the proper place.

The 'Green & White' striped thing is the GROUNDING POST,
Which is usually a 1/4" or 3/8" BRASS BOLT running up through the fender.
It's there to attach all your needed grounding wires to so everything gets a dedicated ground.

This will give you an overview of how to hook up the two wire connector, and what part numbers/sources for the parts...

--------------------------------

Do the same fusible link thing with the wire that feeds the Fuse Block,
ADD A SECOND FUSIBLE LINK TO THE BATTERY CABLE SIDE OF THE STARTER RELAY,
Then connect the fuse block to that fusible link...

The circuit should start with a fusible link at the starter relay battery cable side...
The 'Hot' wire from the battery cable MUST BE PROTECTED on it's way to the fuse block, or you run the risk of a fire!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.