Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Is this normal?

876 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  CJMONEYPIT 
#1 ·
As I was looking over my 1973 cj5 today, I noticed something odd. It seems the previous owner used a clamp on one side to keep the exhaust pipe on.. I am guessing he was just too lazy to find a bolt for it. I have taken pictures so you get a better idea of what I am saying:

http://www.geocities.com/dadams1580/exhaust.html

I am guessing this is why it smells like gas so bad when I cruise around for 5 minutes.. Everytime I start it, it wreaks of it.

#2 ·
Yeah I've seen this once before... ON MY JEEP when I bought it!
I was like WTF?

What happened in your case is more than likely what happened to my jeep's previous owner... The exhaust manifold has two threaded studs that are inserted into it right there at the flange.

Over time and with heat, they fuse into the manifold and break off when you try to get em out.

#3 ·
yup i agree the studs probably were so f-ed from heat and time that when they either tightened or loosened them they twisted and fractured frmo the stress and low integrity of the metal. you might be able to find a new stud, but if not now would be a great time (and excuse :D ) to get a set of headers on it and go for a meaner sounding exhaust....

just my $.02

Dan

#4 ·
"backyard fixes" like that are pretty common on old Jeeps. I know mine has quite a few of them. A cheap and easy fix to get rid of that clamp is to drill out the remainder of the old stud and just use a nut and bolt to bolt the pipe to the manifold. That and a new donut gasket might get rid of the gas smell.

#5 ·
cheap fix

Yeah, had that problem too, the frozen bolt, not the clamp. I went to the next smaller bolt (5/16 NC) and just used a nut and bolt. Made it quite a booger to get a wrench on though. Finally bought headers and that problem now resides in the attic.

jeepmor

#7 ·
my 258 had a similar, but only slightly more professional, backyard fix. NAPA sells a device called a "Clamp-a-stud" that is designed for just that purpose. It's basically a C-clamp with cups on both ends that secure themselves over the broken studs. It actually works very well and is a heck of a lot easier than a "proper" fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.