Is this normal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this normal?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
mideerhunter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is this normal?

Well, I have a t-5 tranny in my jeep, recently changed the tranny fluid to correct level and fluid, but i still can feel the gears spinning in 3rd and 4th, like before, its not like grinding, but when i shift into these gears, you can feel the 3rd moving, from 2nd to 3rd, and when you shift into 4th, from 3rd you can feel it, is this bad?...am i waiting to long to shift?...or is it normal to feel the gear a lil moving before shifting into that gear?

1990 YJ - 4.2L 258 - Offy Intake w/ Holley 4bbl 390 - K&N Filter - Headers -DUI HEI Distributor - Flexalite Fan - Dual Battery Setup - Front and rear bumpers w/ recievers - rock sliders - hurst shifter -ax15 - 2 1/2" lift - TJ flares - Diamond Plate Corner Protectors - LED Flushmounts in rear - 31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer ST's- Dana 30 w/ posilok - Dana 35 w/ stainless cover - herc'd interior - Racing seats - cb w/ firestick - Hella 500's
mideerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

what is this "correct" fluid you used?

any different cold vs. hot (after the lube has softened up)

how many miles on the tranny (thinking syncros)
waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
mideerhunter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well i used dextron III fluid for auto trannies, which all 3 of my chiltons told me, usually i notice it after it warms, up...but i did a lil experiment today, and it doesn't do it as bad if i shift sooner, and sometimes it doesn't do it at all...could it just be me waiting to long to shift?...since this is my first manual transmission?...umm i couldn't tell u how many miles were on it because i bought it used and all the parts in it were basically put together from other scramblers, when i drained the fluid, it was the same stuff as in the differentials so im guessing hte previous owner put in gear oil...how much is it gonna cost if its the synchros?
1990 YJ - 4.2L 258 - Offy Intake w/ Holley 4bbl 390 - K&N Filter - Headers -DUI HEI Distributor - Flexalite Fan - Dual Battery Setup - Front and rear bumpers w/ recievers - rock sliders - hurst shifter -ax15 - 2 1/2" lift - TJ flares - Diamond Plate Corner Protectors - LED Flushmounts in rear - 31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer ST's- Dana 30 w/ posilok - Dana 35 w/ stainless cover - herc'd interior - Racing seats - cb w/ firestick - Hella 500's
Unread 12-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

here is a very interesting comment (link to thread at bottom):

Quote:
ATF (or a very similar synthetic) is the correct lube for a World Class T-5, like in Camero and Mustangs. Jeeps and GM S10s ARE NOT World Class transmissions, they are the original T-5 design, no roller bearings on the main shaft and simple brass blocking rings, much more open fit to allow for the thicker lube. Several Jeep publications to include my 1985 CJ-7 owners manual and the B.V. T4/5 manual call for AMC/Jeep Manual Transmission Lubricant P/N 8982 220 046 or equivalent of SAE 75W-90 (API GL5) quality.

Whatever you choose to do be sure that you don't have some combination of ATF and GL5 in your T4/5 because that simply becomes goo balls that will not lubricate anything leading to breakage. Many years ago a trip to my local Indy Lube started a long list of bearing failures that cost me alot of time and money. Also got me to do some research on the T-5. In the few years since I have had both World Class and Non World Class T-5s apart and back together with my own slippery little hands, they are very different.
Later in same thread says that Chiltons is wrong.

Do not put AFT in NWC transmissions!

http://www.fatboysjeepers.com/phpbbs...2052002ce60645

This is what you need to do to fix (SM420), don't waste time fixing a bad T-x (edit: refering to T4/T5, not all Txx trans!!) transmission:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak website
This is essentially a small car transmission in a truck. The customer's time and efforts are best spent converting to a stronger transmission.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/sm420.htm
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t4_t5.htm

Last edited by waywardfool; 12-07-2005 at 09:17 PM..
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
mideerhunter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so what should i do?...drain the dextron?...or leave it?...i don't want to ruin anything....should i be safe following what chilton says or do i need to drain it?
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #6
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

I'd google and read quite a bit before making a decision on what to do. From what I read, some people have purposely switched to ATF in the Jeep T5's without (reporting) any subsequent problems. Some have gone synthetic. Some gone back to real gear oil.

One of the links I found said something along the lines that the original FSM quoted ATF, but that was corrected in the mid-80's, and said to use gear oil in all T5's, superceding earlier specifications. They had a recall on a couple years due to the ATF spec, but I am not sure of that.

The comment on one thread about ATF and gear oil combining into gummy globs has me concerned, especially on some internals where you may not have great flow to flush out the previous lube.

Google with something along the lines of "Jeep T5 ATF gear oil" (no quotes)

Me....well, I wouldn't run a T5. But that wasn't the question.

I would be inclined to go back to gear oil. Drain out that ATF as well as you can, fill with gear oil, then maybe run it a week or 2, get it hot on a good trip, and drain again and refill. Keep your ear open for abnormal sounds or behavior, and keep in mind that damage may have already been done, but possibly not. Fun it 'til it dies, then worry about it.

I'm surprised noone else has chimed in here. I'm just reading and trying to filter some of the info for you, don't take any of this as gospel. It is the Internet, afterall.
Unread 12-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
waywardfool
1973 CJ5 

If damage has occured -- maybe/likely not if you go back to oil -- I seriously would not even consider a rebuild. Look for a junkyard tranny (replacement T5), or go with the 420 swap if you offroad and could use the low gearing and durability.

Check out junkyard parts at www.car-part.com

oh, if you really need the o/d....think somethink like NV4500...lots of $$, but you'll have the length avail in the cj8 for it to fit.
Unread 12-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
mideerhunter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

well i have been running the atf for while no prb, i think when it gets warmer im switching to a thicker lube, but for now it should do, it seems like the prb get worse after the lube warms up, and it doesn't do it if i shift sooner, if i let the rpms get up high it seems to do it more, but if u hold in the clutch and don't shift for 2-5 seconds u can kinda feel for the gear and it doesn't do it either if u let the rpms get up real high....my other friends said this was normal in their rigs....is it possible to let the gears overspin and feel this?...what would happen if it was the synchros?...just let them go until they completely go out?...how much approx. would a t-5 cost from a junk yard? thanks!
Unread 12-27-2005, 12:20 AM   #9
CanadianJeep86

anybody know if a T-5 from a comanche would fit? if so then I have one here with 115,000 miles on it, new clutch and what all else. If your interested we can work something out.
1989 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP231, D44, 3.73's, *Stolen*
1987 MJ Sportruck, 2.5, AX5, Rollbar, *Jeep Heaven*
1986 MJ, 2.5, T-5, bushbar, Longbox, *Jeep Heaven*
CanadianJeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
mideerhunter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i think they are the same because the ones out of the s10 are the same i believe, maybe just different bellhousings and what not...someone correct me if im wrong but i believe they are the same

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.