Noob's Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Noob's Build Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #31
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

decided to flip my tub over and get the bottom lined so I can get it mounted on the frame for good. I scraped, wire brushed and sanded the bottom. started putting seam sealer on all the seams. I ran out of seam sealer about halfway thru. I am going to get it lined tomorrow with a u-pol raptor bedliner kit.

76cjnoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #32
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Today I lined the bottom of my tub. I spent some time working on my rear bumper and getting my gas tank and skid plate to fit.

Unread 03-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #33
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Solid looking work so far!
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #34
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I have training this week for work so I won't be able to work on my CJ. I did get my tub sat back on the frame so my dad could roll it out of his way

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #35
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76cjnoob
Today I lined the bottom of my tub. I spent some time working on my rear bumper and getting my gas tank and skid plate to fit.
That looks really good!

Did you prime it after scraping and sanding it? I see that you mentioned redoing the seams. I'm guessing you then primed it and then raptor lined it. I'm not familiar with that product, does it require any prep work other than a clean surface or does it need etching? It definitely looks nice!
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #36
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I cleaned the grease and sanded/wire brushed everything the best I could. then I used paintable seam sealer on all the seams and used an epoxy primer over it. the epoxy is what I always spray over bare/rusty metal. after the primer I raptor lined it. I would definitely put some kind of primer down before the raptor liner.
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #37
DYontheForum
1981 CJ7 

I see the c channel that has your capture nuts isn't stock. How does it work?
DYontheForum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #38
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76cjnoob
I cleaned the grease and sanded/wire brushed everything the best I could. then I used paintable seam sealer on all the seams and used an epoxy primer over it. the epoxy is what I always spray over bare/rusty metal. after the primer I raptor lined it. I would definitely put some kind of primer down before the raptor liner.
Thanks for clarifying that! Again, looks really nice!
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting it ready to paint in the next month or 2
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #40
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYontheForum View Post
I see the c channel that has your capture nuts isn't stock. How does it work?
I'm not completely sure which part you're talking about? the PO had re done it once before me and I'm not sure what is original and what isn't.
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #41
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I have been pretty busy the last couple days. Yesterday I made body mount washers out of 5/8" flat washers and some scrap pipe. Sure beats paying $5.00 a piece for them. After I made all of them I got the tub bolted on and made sure my gas tank and bumper were going to fit. Today I cut out the holes for my oval tail lights and fuel neck. I spent this afternoon spreading bondo and sanding.

Unread 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #42
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

still working on the body. I have made some good progress in the last week. I also realized that I needed the brace that runs from wheel well to the upper corner of the door frame. Since I had already started on the body work and didn't want to weld on the tub I decided to bolt it to the wheel well and glue it to the side of the tub. I fabbed up a couple braces and used 3M structural adhesive, that is used to glue body panels on. It doesn't pay to get ahead of yourself and have to go back!

Unread 04-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #43
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

spent a few more hours doing body work yesterday. I am just about ready for primer, hoping to get the done Saturday!

Unread 04-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #44
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Finally got my body work done and primed it today! My body work wasn't as good as I thought, my dad had to smooth it out for me. I only put primer over the bondo. I will block sand it with 180 grit and re-prime the whole tub and block it again with 400 grit.

Unread 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #45
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I didn't get any work done last weekend on the jeep, but I went and picked some parts that were going to be scrapped. I pulled a th-350 and 2 np203 transfer cases. I also have another th-350 and a np208 to pick for my SBC swap. going to try and get some motor mounts built this week

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.