Noob's Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Noob's Build Thread

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I am still waiting on parts to finish my axles so I spent some time today working on my rear bumper. I am going to use the bumper that came on my jeep. The PO's bumper was pretty ugly so I did some cutting and grinding to make it more my style. I cut his receiver ball off and also cut about 4 inches off each end to make it more stubby. I plan to use the bumper as my rear crossmember. I made 2 body mounts that I am going to weld to the bumper and I will also have to weld some angle iron for the gas tank to bolt to. I also got my rear axle and springs hung today.

76cjnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

A little update on my disc brake conversion. I took my hubs to the machine shop down the street and had the backside machined down. I also got ahold of the correct caliper brackets and got everything back together today! I also painted my rear brake drums and backing plates which I will hopefully get back together tomorrow. I need to press a bearing onto my onto one of my rear axleshafts. I welded the caps on my rear bumper.

Backside of Hub

Front view

passenger side

rear brake parts

Rear bumper cap

Full Rear Bumper
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Put my rear axle shaft in the freezer last night and heated up my bearing with a light bulb. I put the retainer ring in the oven for approximately 1 hour on 300 degrees. I still had to use some persuasion from a 3 pound sledge and a punch but the bearing slid on. After packing the bearings and putting the inner seals in I put everything back together. Made sure to use silicon on the outer seals and axle tube flange. done for the day ready to watch some college football

Unread 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
jacques25150
1982 CJ7 

re

good job my friend !!!!!!!
there is also an old bike on the view: what is?
jacques25150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

its a Kawasaki frame hard tailed with a Suzuki 650 twin cylinder. my 16 year old brother built it.
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Well its been a while since I updated. I haven't had a ton of spare time to work on the jeep. I recently switched jobs and spent a couple weeks on training. I have also been trying to get some reloading done and shooting when its nice enough. I am motivated again and back to work on the CJ. I bought all of my brake lines and started running them today. I also chipped the old bedliner off the gas tank and skid plate. got the tank painted and ready to put in.

Glad to be back to work!
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

The last two days I ran my rear brake lines and hooked up the new rubber line that is about 3-4 inches longer. I bought an adjustable proportioning valve from speedway and mounted it to the frame and ran my hard line from the rear axle up the the valve. I fabbed up a bracket that I will weld to my rear bumper and bolt my gas tank to. I finally got the correct spindle nut socket and finished up the front axle correctly, not with a hammer and chisel. I sat my tub onto the frame just to make sure all of my body mounts line up, which they did!!! I started reworking my seat mounts before I called it a day.

Unread 02-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Yesterday I flipped my tub over on its side and started finishing up some welds on the bottom side. Once I get everything buttoned up on the bottom, I am going to get the bodywork started. I have also decided that I will probably put in a ford T18 and adapt it to my dana 20. Thats a few months off though.

Unread 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #24
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

76cjnnob, do you have any photos of your factory fuel tank installed within the frame? I just noticed the rear valance on your factory tub has a straight piece which I assume is factory also. We are currently trying to help the manufactures of the Repli-Tubs on the differences of tubs from early years to later years and your is the first 1976 version I have seen the bottom of. Your input to the posting would help and I'm going to use the above photo in a future posting if you don't mind.
1976-jeep-cj-7-body.jpg  

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #25
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I dont have one yet. my tub had been chopped up and redone once before I got it and its my first CJ so I'm not sure what's factory. That piece you pointed out is just a square 4x4 that runs along the back of the tub and sits on the body mounts. The sheet metal is all welded to it and it stiffens up the back end of the tub. For my gas tank it is using the factory mounting holes on the front. The back, I am just going to weld a bracket on the bottom of my bumper. I didn't buy the rear cross member that is riveted to the frame. My rear bumper will serve the same purpose as the cross member. I haven't finished it up, but probably will get it done this week post a couple pics if it will help. Feel free to use any of my pictures if they will help out
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76cjnoob View Post
That piece you pointed out is just a square 4x4 that runs along the back of the tub and sits on the body mounts. The sheet metal is all welded to it and it stiffens up the back end of the tub.
Do you think that piece is original with the captured nuts. This important info to know since later CJ fuel tanks rear portion must have changed and a new type of piece for the rear valance was made to clear the new fuel tanks.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #27
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

It does not have the captured nuts. There are holes cut in the 4x4 that you use to put nuts on the body mount bolts. That would lead me to believe that it is not factory.

I will be working on it Wednesday and Thursday. I will take some close ups of it and my gas tank mounts.
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
agear
1984 CJ7 

good job so far, it looks good.
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #29
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

today I finished cleaning up my welds and started prepping my tub for bondo. I also mounted my OEM tj flares. it took a little more trimming than I figured it would. it looks really goofy with my worn out 31's, but should look better with 33's
thanks agear, its starting to come together!

Unread 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

started putting bondo on my tub today! had to spend alot time cleaning up my welds on both the outside and inside of the tub. its a slow process but should be get more done tomorrow.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.