Noob's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Noob's Build Thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Noob's Build Thread

I bought my CJ-7 in May of this year and have spent the past few months tearing it down and rebuilding the tub. It is my first Jeep and 2nd build. I also have a 1982 Chevy K-20. It's a 1976 with a 304, T-150 and Dana 20. It has an AMC 20 rear and Dana 30 front axle and 8 inch long shackles I purchased the Jeep from a friend who bought it just for the hard top. The tub was pretty much shot, but came with alot of patch panels to get me started. Luckily my dad owns a body shop and I have been around body work most of my life. I decided that it would be much cheaper to fix my tub rather then buy a new one (more patience than money!) I started ripping it apart instantly.

I have my tub about 90% fixed, I just need to finish some welds and do the body work. I am currently working on the frame. I have it stripped bare and found a couple cracks where the steering box bolts on. The PO had already braced it, I will probably redo that and make it look a little better. I also found the typical rust where the rear shackle mounts bolt on.

My future plans are to rebuild the 304 and go through tranny, transfer case and axles. I should have started this thread several months ago, but I will post some pictures to get you caught up.

76cjnoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
DYontheForum
1981 CJ7 

Wow that is a nice truck.
DYontheForum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Thanks. I have alot of work into it. hopefully my Jeep will be that nice one of these days!
Unread 10-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Nice metal work on the tub and it looks like it will turn out well in the end. That is way more work then I would ever tackle; I would have just scrapped the tub and gotten another.

I think most would agree here on the forum that you need to get rid of those ridiculously long front shackles. I can't image how that must drive on the road, if you even could drive it on the road it would be a death trap waiting to happen. Castor has gone right out the door on that setup. Stock front shackles will correct steering issues and a pair of decent lift springs will make the ride MUCH more enjoyable. Don't go cheap on repairing front end steering components like the PO has done just to gain lift.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I already have stock length shackles ready to put on when it goes back together. I drove it home (about 20 miles) and it was all over the rode. I thought I was headed for the ditch atleast 3 times! I looked at new tubs, but figured I could spend alot of time on mine for $4000.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I spent a couple hours wire brushing my frame. I really wanted to get more done today, but had to help my dad for a couple hours. Friday I plan on fixing the bad spots in the frame. I will make sure to get some pictures.
Unread 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Those are some of the craziest shackles I've ever seen. I don't think I've seen a setup where the PO had to add bracing to the shackles because they were so long. weird! I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea. The cr*p that people bolt onto Jeeps always amazes me...
crazy-shackles-crop.jpg  
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I got quite a bit accomplished today. First off I welded in the frame patch that I made for the rear shackle mount.

I fixed one of my body mounts that was a little thin by welding in a patch. I didn't get the hole drilled but have the patch welded solid.

I worked on welding cracks around the sway bar mounts. I also reworked some bracing that the PO had welded to the frame near the steering box mount.

Not an extremely productive day, but I keep chipping away at stuff. Keep in mind I am not a professional welder. Today was really the first time I have welded anything heavier than sheet metal, so don't make fun I am hoping to finish prepping my frame this week and get it painted next week. I will start on my axles after that. I am planning on doing a disc brake swap on the front using Chevy parts. I also have a 2.5 inch lift with stock shackles to install when I start putting it back together.
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76cjnoob View Post
..Not an extremely productive day, but I keep chipping away at stuff. Keep in mind I am not a professional welder..
Every time I have to take my CJ off the road for a lengthy round of repairs, I always feel like the clock is ticking. Some days I might only make 10 minutes of progress. Other days I might put in 4 hours. I'm always amazed, however, that the little things add up and the big projects get done as long as I keep plugging away.
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Wow.. you're ambitious! To take that tub from where it started to where you've got it... wow. Nice work - and love the attitude! Keep the pics coming! Oh, I'll buy those shackles if you're not using them - they're awesome! ;-)
Unread 11-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

well I planned to get some work done today, but the old lady wanted me to get the yard cleaned up. In the process I locked up my brother's push mower. oops! not sure what happened to it, had oil but just started pouring white smoke so I shut it down. I tried to pull the cord and it is locked up tight. Guess I will have to offer some Jeep money to replace it.
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

I finished prepping my frame yesterday and this morning. I painting it gloss black with a single stage urethane. It turned out pretty good. I also prepped a set of nerf bars for my buddies 2006 TJ. He bought them used and they had a pretty good amount of surface rust and pitting, so I used rattle can duplicolor bed liner on them. I have my front Dana 30 sitting on jack stands ready to tear down and paint. I am going to do a disc brake swap on it. I am planning to use Chevy mounting brackets, Chevy Dana 44 calipers and 1 1/8" CJ rotors. I also have to replace U-Joints and seals while the axles are apart. I should be able to get to that next. If anyone has done the Chevy disc brake swap and has a write up on it let me know. I have only been able to find an old article from Jp magazine

Unread 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Got started on my front disc brake swap. I went and picked up a donated chevy axle yesterday to rob the parts. I figured while I had the axle all tore apart I would replace all the seals (wheel, pinion and axleshaft). I am also replacing the spindle bearings and seals. The parts store didn't have all my parts, but they should be here in the morning and hopefully I can it ready to paint.

Chevy donor axle

Chevy backing plate on Dana 30

Pulled the ring gear to replace Axle shaft seals

lots of little parts!

Another shot of the backing plate
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

Spent the last couple days working on my disc brake swap as well as replacing bearing and seals in my rear amc 20. I hit a couple in my disc swap, my hubs need to be machined and my set of caliper brackets appear to be the wrong ones. I have one that I think will work, but need to get another. Today I tore into my rear axle and found that it has Yukon 1 peice shafts. The only problem is I need shaft bearings and I will have to order them. I decided that while I was waiting on parts I would go ahead and paint my axles and 2.5" pro comp lift springs.

Unread 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
76cjnoob
1976 CJ7 

got to work for a few hours today. Bolted my shackle mounts to the frame and hung my front springs and axle. My day was cut short because i went to visit my Grandma who is in the hospital with dementia-like symptoms. broke my heart having to explain where she was and why she was there every few minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.