Noobiee! please read - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Noobiee! please read

Alloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 04-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #16
Taylorettel
1980 CJ7 

**UPDATE**

replaced the power steering pump, which btw was a PITA. lol Next step is fuilds and all. Then when i get some money. . .The radiator

Taylorettel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Darn! Sounds like you tackled the harder chore first.
Good luck and God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
Xingpao
1984 CJ7 

I'm going to also stress the importance of brakes and steering systems here. I wish you luck as well.
Xingpao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #19
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I would replace ALL metal and rubber brake lines front to back and all caliper/wheel cylinders. Of course I'm in NY, sure your '80 Utah Jeep looks like an 09' NY Jeep sans rust
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #20
selene0618
1983 CJ7 

i dont know if it helps cause im new too i just got an 83 cj7 and its got a 3.5 lift on it so i dont think it really matters. but then again it may be the difference in the years what kind of transmision is in that 3,4,or 5 speed?
selene0618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #21
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum man, congrats on the Jeep! Looking forward to seeing some pics of this beast.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #22
Taylorettel
1980 CJ7 

@ Selene Its a 4 speed transmission.

Yea i guess you could say it was the harder chore. But i see why jeep owners are so attached to their rigs.
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #23
selene0618
1983 CJ7 

nice mine is a three speed
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #24
Taylorettel
1980 CJ7 

How do you like the three speed? are there any advantages?
Unread 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
selene0618
1983 CJ7 

well truth betold this is my first jeep and first time on this forum. i am currently rebuilding it and have never gotten to drive it yet. but i hear it both good and bad. sorry i cant help you very much as i am just learning my self. selene
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #26
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the new (to you) CJ. Always nice to see another Jeep getting life breathed back into them!

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #27
Taylorettel
1980 CJ7 

*UPDATE*

After closer inspection of my radiator, I have came to the conclusion that I no longer need a new one.

What happened was when i lived in Idaho Falls, Id, I ran my fingers along the fins of the raditor and a bunch of them broke off, and i havent touched it since.

Now im back in utah and today i ran my fingers across it and. .. none broke off!

im assuming it was just the -20 degree winters up in IF.
Unread 04-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
Taylorettel
1980 CJ7 

But now i need some help.

im so overwelmd with having to change the fuilds and everything, not that its hard, just . . i dont even know where to begin.

Any tips or advice?

thank you very much in advance

Tayla Danja
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #29
twmattox

Well, pretty easy stuff, and should only take a couple hours..but can get pricey when you add up all the fluids.

Axles, remove the cover plates and drain the fluid. Look for chipped teeth or any signs of wear. Seal the cover plates with a little rtv (just a smear) and new gasket. Fill with GOOD 75/90 gear oil (synthetic if you can afford it). Note, if you have Trac-Lok (limited slip) you should use 80/140 and additive. Approx 7.5 pints

Transfer case, remove the drain plug on the bottom (uses an allen wrench). Drain the fluid and look for discoloration, moisture, metal, etc. Replace the plug and fill with GOOD 75/90 gear oil (again, synthetic if you can afford it). Approx 4 pints

Transmission, remove drain plug (not sure where the one on the T-176 is located). Drain fluid and look for discoloration, moisture, metal, etc. Replace the plug and fill with GOOD 75/90 gear oil (again, synthetic if you can afford it). Approx 3.5 pints

Oil (I assume you know how to do this one) Approx 6 qts

Coolant, drain radiator (make sure the engine is cool). Remove the temperature sending unit (right rear corner of engine). Fill radiator with water and flushing mixture (till water comes out of the sending unit hole). Replace sending unit and continue to fill radiator till full. Drive required time (as per flushing mixture instructions) and repeat process filling with 50%mixture of ethylene glycol. (This may cause some comments because there are a number of different coolants with a number of different stories about them...stay away from DEXCOOL...aside from that, typical Prestone/Peak should suffice...if you want to get all technical you should use green Zerex). Approx 5 quarts (little over 1 gallon coolant)

Brakes (I try to flush a pump or two from my brakes every year or two...it seems to keep things inside from getting rusty). Have a helper pump the brakes to build pressure. Open the bleeder and let fluid drain (try to catch it in a cup or hook a hose to the bleeder). Repeat till fluid is clear and not rusty. Be certain to NOT pump your reservoir dry. Check it after each pump until you are comfortable with how much fluid is drained. Usually no more than 1 large bottle

Power Steering (I would think you already did this one when you replaced the pump...) Remove the return hose from the power steering pump (the one attached with a hose clamp) and place the hose in a bottle to catch fluid. Be sure to plug the nipple where the hose connects too. Start the motor and add fluid to the pump as fluid is pumped into the canister... Again usually no more than 1 large bottle

So, your parts list will be:
1 large bottle brake fluid
1 large bottle steering fluid
6 qts oil
8 qts gear oil
1 gallon coolant
Axle cover gaskets
1 tube RTV
oil filter
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #30
wertyu78
1986 CJ7 

Congradulations on the Jeep. Im a Sophomore in High School and my dad gave me his Jeep back in July for my Birthday. 1986 Renegade. Jeep's are addicting. Jeep's will always have a repair list, so dont sweat it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.