NON-Jeep. Found another addiction due to this site - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > NON-Jeep. Found another addiction due to this site

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

NON-Jeep. Found another addiction due to this site

So awhile back I got on to see what everyone is talking about and noticed a banner at the top of the page for a firearms forum. I started checking it out and really got into it. I went up to Bass Pro, and took a look at a few rifles, but they were pretty pricey, and I had no info on what was the best. A little more research, and a trip to a gun show, and I came home with parts for this:

I built it today, and am itching to get it out to shoot it. I'm not 100% sure why I bought it, I don't hunt, and I have a few other guns that are for home protection and CCW. Using it for home protection isn't really a good idea since I can throw a ping pong ball and hit my neighbors' homes, but I bought it and put it together. And its mine....
The CJ needs a new tub, but I got a little sidetracked

Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
1983 CJ7 

Nice David!

Why? - It's your RIGHT!

What for? - Not everything in this world needs to be a need, wants are okay too!
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You have wasted a collosal waste of money and time buying a piece of shiny kit for which you have absolutely no use and which you must know will only cause you grief and heartache and the ire of your neighbours who will feel less safe because you have this thing !!!!!!!!!!!!

And then you buy a gun as well.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

PS I like the DPMS lower, been considering it for a while with a Spikes 22LR upper. Sadly not allowed semi auto in anything but rimfire, a straight pull is just not the same.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Funny, BJ... As I was reading your post, I was thinking, what did he see in the pics, that is so bad....
I also like the DPMS lower, and saw alot of .22LR uppers, but was looking for the .223.
I plan on getting some ammo in the next few days and will be driving the Jeep to my BIL's to shoot this weekend
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Galt
1983 CJ7 

My Colt LE6920 with magpul furniture.
img_1755.jpg  
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

You know for 25 years the military let me play with something like that it's the m-4 .The 4 has another selector switch to put alot more rounds down range at whatever gets in the way. I don't get to fire them anymore though I was recently retired. I miss Susie though she was the best girlfriend I ever had. I did replace her with the reme870 pump shotgun.Modified it with the extended tube mag so I can put alot of rounds down range at whatever gets in the way .See the trend here.
My motto is " smack the stupid out of someone who needs it" this is how you do it.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
ButcherJones
1977 CJ5 

Yea, welcome to the sickness! Here are three of the 6 I own...Dont even get me started with HK's, AK's or remington 700's.....If it wasnt for the weapons, my jeeps would be PERFECT! Well probably not, as I have a guitar sickness as well...

DPMS have some nice rifles, but I would dump that barska asap...Just me, I dont like cheap glass, Id rather run irons untill I can afford something a little more proven...
ButcherJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Call me crazy, or maybe it's the Marine in me...WEAPON ON SAFE UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE! That's how accidents happen, trust me on this one. I almost didn't come home from a deployment because of a Marine who didn't have his weapon on safe. Sorry for the rant, just kind of a touchy subject. Sidenote - Nice looking equipment gents!

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
1sik78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJensen View Post
Call me crazy, or maybe it's the Marine in me...WEAPON ON SAFE UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE! That's how accidents happen, trust me on this one. I almost didn't come home from a deployment because of a Marine who didn't have his weapon on safe. Sorry for the rant, just kind of a touchy subject. Sidenote - Nice looking equipment gents!
Just a guess but I bet they are in "rack safe" mode the way we stored them in the armory and how I store mine in the safe. (Of course the magazine is always removed for this, but the pictures look cooler with an empty in the gun) If anyone is wondering rack safe is a CLEARED weapon (and only after ensuring the magazine is removed and the chamber is empty) you place the weapon on fire and press the trigger, commonly know as a dry fire, then close the dust cover. It takes the tension off of the firing pin spring for long term storage. That type of weapon system cannot be placed back on safe unless you charge it.
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

i want one, would look great in my old jeep.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:20 AM   #12
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Wow, I need to look into one of those grenade launchers.... SgtJensen, I agree with keeping weapons safe, mine is in fire because its right after I built it. I haven't bought any ammo for it yet, but when I do it will be stored away from the gun.
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #13
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You sound a bit guilty for buying that. I have felt the same way at times myself. Quality firearms are a great investment. Don't know what part of KC you live in but that might be a very worthwhile thing to keep handy.

Stock up on plenty of ammo and buy as many spare mags as you can afford, Brownells has some pretty good ones and not a bad price. Nice sidetrack by the way.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dborns View Post
Using it for home protection isn't really a good idea since I can throw a ping pong ball and hit my neighbors' homes, but I bought it and put it together. And its mine....
The CJ needs a new tub, but I got a little sidetracked
I have to disagree.
Not the 'Ideal' home defense firearm (not 'Gun'), but it's a pretty good unit.

First off, MANY police departments are switching to AR-15/M-16 as entry tools.
The .40 cal and 9mm that most departments use in pistol and rifle form will OVERPENETRATE.

That means you can blow away someone in another room pretty easily you didn't know was there.

An AR with 'Mushrooming' rounds (Plastic Noses for those of you in states that don't allow 'Hollow Points') will come apart when they hit something like dry wall, sheet rock, or even better, that old portland cement plaster they used to use years ago.

Hard ball .40 cal and 9MM rounds will blow through dry wall like it's not there, and since they are low velocity rounds built on sturdy frames, they don't deform, deflect, or splatter on impact.

Buy some 'Varmint' rounds, usually light bullet weights, high velocity, and they will come ungluded at the first resistance.
I've had them fragment when they hit weeds on the way to a ground hog, so drywall is virtually bulletproof unless you hit the same spot several times.

If you get some of the military surplus, they are FMJ or Full Metal Jacket, and they will blow through a wall like it's not there.
There are also a LOT of 'Penetrators' out there (They don't call them 'Armor Percing' anymore) that have a solid, hardened core under the copper, and they will shoot through a school with no issues,
So don't use 'FMJ' or 'Penetrators' for home defense...

The light weight 'Varmint' rounds are designed to blow apart when they encounter any resistance, better chance of killing something VERY SMALL, like prarrie dogs,
They expend their energy VERY QUICKLY, and they are ONE SHOT STOP for anyone you are forced to put down...

DO NOT use those stupid "Home Defense" rounds with the buckshot inside, rat shot inside, silicone tips, ect.
With age, the suspension fluid hardens, then they overpenetrate or fragment while still in the barrel and come out as 'Muzzle Blast' or worse yet, baloon the barrel.

-------------------------------

DO NOT fall into the 'Gimmic' trap!
You have more crap on your rifle than I carried in combat!

Learn to use IRON SIGHTS! There is no substute for iron sights and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

You don't need lasers, pistol grips, night vision, espresso maker, swiss army knife, rear view mirror, curling iron, tampon dispenser, ect.

The best way I can explain it is,
You don't use that crap, and it's more stuff to get snagged and slow you down.

What the Marines drilled into us was if the primary gets snagged, you IMMEDATELY default to your side arm without even looking to see what snagged. Don't loose ANY time doing that and you are in the fight without taking your eyes off the target.

---------------------------------------------

Without a doubt the best home defense firearm is a 20 Ga. or 12 Ga. shot gun with a slug barrel and 'Youth' stock on it.

There is nothing like the sound of a pump gun slide,
Every bad guy in the world knows that sound, and they will jump out a 3rd story window to get away from it!

When loaded with about #4 buck shot, it doesn't overpenetrate, doesn't need to be aimed (just 'Pointed') is fast into action, doesn't get snagged on anything, is short enough to work with in tight places and will knock down a bear at point blank range.

Everyone makes 'Specality' ammo for it, slugs, 00 buck shot, darts, Sabot rounds that will defeat light body armor, and it's by far the most simple and useful firearm you will ever own.

It's also still legal in all states and even most cities (some of the ammo is banned or restricted) but basic bird shot is DEVISTATING at close ranges, so it's VERY good for home defense.

Since I practice a lot (compaired to most firearms owners) I have a 1911 Colt Semi-Auto pistol that Does NOT jam.
(Revolvers are usually recommended for personal defense because they are reliable as an anvil and shoot anykind of rounds you can come up with)

If I were leaving the 'Little Woman' home alone, I ALWAYS load the 12 Ga. and leave it where it's handy for her (No kids in the house, and she shoots clays, so she knows how to handle a 12 Ga.).

Hope this helps relieve your guilt for buying that rifle,
You will find it's a TON of fun, easy to practice with (Made for guys that couldn't get out of the draft and couldn't keep a job flipping burgers),
And if you buy a .22LR conversion kit for it (Replaces bolt carrier and magazine) you can shoot .22 LR ammo for practice, even for women and kids that you normally wouldn't have fire it with full size .223 Rem ammo...

Dual purpose is ALWAYS good! Takes about 30 seconds to switch over to .22 LR ammo, and depending on barrel twist rate, they are fairly accurate, plenty accurate enough to plink cans and bottles with!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
alljagged24
1985 CJ7 

If your looking for sunday afternoon ammo "fun ammo" cabellas .com has 1000 rounds for the ar 223 for 200 dollars last time I checked, lots of fun, keep it clean and lubed........you tube has cleaning vidoe's but if you can have a marine show you how to properly clean it .....just my .02
fresh 258 .030 over comp cam ,clifford intake and header , holley 390 soa with procomp 2.5 in lift springs,2.5 in lift perches, d30 with detroit true trac, ford 8.8 performance limited slip 4.10 gears , 37 in iroks, custom bumpers and recovery points, super lined inside , no rust , fresh flat black paint, tested at trucksgonewild!!!
alljagged24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.