Noise in rear differential - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Noise in rear differential

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
sidehillbill
1979 CJ7 

Noise in rear differential

Good evening Jeep experts. I bought a 79 CJ 7 last week, 6 cyl, auto, Quadratrac. When I got it home and started going through it more I discovered that the light on in the gauge cluster is actually the light for emergency drive, not the brake warning light that I thought it was at first.

I did some reading and looking on here and learned how Quadratrac works, found the glove box and selector switch in a box of parts, the hoses to the switch and transfer case are gone, no big deal, I can fix that.

I got under the Jeep with a vacuum pump and tried the actuator, it works both ways, so now I have it in normal drive and am getting a snapping noise that I didn't notice before in the rear diff when turning sharply or under hard acceleration.

I jacked the rear up and in park rotated one wheel and watched the other, it turned in the opposite direction, ah, open diff says I. So then I tried a hard takeoff or two on dirt and grass both and cannot get any wheel spin just pulls hard with the snapping and a bit of a shudder.

What kind of mess have I got into? Is it a limited slip diff? Sorry, I don't know for sure which axle it is, does anyone have an id chart?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide as much info as I could.

Thanks for reading and for any help.

sidehillbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Not sure but maybe a broken tooth or two? Won't know until you pull the diff cover...
OrangeCJ-5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

One of three things:
Either the LS in the T case is juttering or the chain is lose and ratcheting. I tend to discount the chain since it didn't do it with the E drive engaged. I suggest you drain the t case and refill it with either the recomended fluid or a mix of 90WT and friction additive.
Or you have a stripped hub on one of the two piece rear axles. Running the t case in E drive eased the strain on the hub, keeping it from spinning.
Mark the nut and the hub on both sides.
Power the Jeep till you hear the noise.
Check to see if the marks are still aligned.
If all else fails, drip the diff lid and inspect the diff. You may have a trac lok that has gone bad.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
sidehillbill
1979 CJ7 

Good stuff there jeepdaddy. Are those rear hubs splined or are they tapered like the old Mopar axles?
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Joe6Pack74
1979 CJ7 

If it was a Richmond Lockright locker it would click going into a turn but on jackstands it would turn both wheels in same direction. One way to find out is remove the diff cover and look. Diff gasket is not expensive.
Joe6Pack74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidehillbill View Post
Good stuff there jeepdaddy. Are those rear hubs splined or are they tapered like the old Mopar axles?
Both.

The hub has tapered splines inside that are cut and formed by the tapered splines on the shaft as it is mounted. There is a "woodruff" key also nestled on the shaft and hub.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidehillbill View Post
Early D44's used a large, smooth taper with a hefty woodruff key. The model 20's found in later CJ's (and most AMC/Rambler cars) used a small tapered shaft end with tiny splines and a very small key. While it is next to impossible to spin the 44, loosing a hub on the 20 is a common occurrence.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

If you spin a two piece hub/axle, the woodruff key is a very effective cutting tool and will systematically destroy said hub and shaft.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
sidehillbill
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Early D44's used a large, smooth taper with a hefty woodruff key. The model 20's found in later CJ's (and most AMC/Rambler cars) used a small tapered shaft end with tiny splines and a very small key. While it is next to impossible to spin the 44, loosing a hub on the 20 is a common occurrence.

I have to believe this is a D 44 due to the fact that the pot is a lot bigger than the one in my 85 4 cyl. plow Jeep. I would love to find an axle id chart for these Jeeps.

I haven't had time to do any more checking, I'll get back with what I find.

Thanks for everybody's input.
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The quadrac option never came with a 44. If it is one, it was swapped in. Id be checking for proper gear ratio.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
sidehillbill
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
The quadrac option never came with a 44. If it is one, it was swapped in. Id be checking for proper gear ratio.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Good to know. After searching this fine site I found this.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...tion-chart.gif

Looks like I have the AMC 20 axle.
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The AMC 20 for a Q-trac is pretty easy to identify. They also have the offset pumpkin to the passenger's side. It should have (possibly only gears they came with) 3.54 gearing.

Here's a set I picked up last week for mine.

Here's what the stock two piece axles will look like. Under the dust cover, there is a large nut that holds the hub on.

I would be surprised if it was a spun hub. With the full time 4x4 splitting power to both front and rear axles, I doubt if it would create the torque to do it. Possible, but doubtful.

A slipping Q-trac chain would feel like major thumping right under your feet. Enough for you to feel in your soles under hard acceleration.

Seeing as you just bought it, it would be a good idea to open both diffs. Check the ratios, and change the oil.

Also drain and change the Q-trac oil in the t-case. You never know what the PO put in it, and the wrong oil will ruin it. Mine got trashed from the PO running ATF in it.
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
sidehillbill
1979 CJ7 

Okay, after a bit more driving I tend to think the noise is actually in the transfer case as has been suggested. I haven't had a chance to check anything physically as I have spent the last few days dealing with metal fragments in my eye, yes I was wearing safety glasses.

I'm trying to find a source for the proper transfer case fluid, jeepdaddy said a mix of 90w and friction additive will work, does any one know the mix ratio?

Thanks again.
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Dana 300 t'case uses std. 90w gear oil.
When was the last time you checked the oil level?
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Dana 300 t'case uses std. 90w gear oil.
When was the last time you checked the oil level?
LG
It sure does......but the OP's is a QT.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.