Running On Empty...
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South West Indiana
A 'Quirk' of Jeep/Motorcraft ignitions is when you leave the key switch in the 'Run' position WITHOUT the engine running,
It overheats and kills the module and sometimes the coil.
Look on the bottom/back side of the passenger fender (under washer tank) as see if there is a 'Ooze' running out of your module...
If so, then the module is fried.
If you want to go into full scale testing of your module/ignition,
1. Whip out a 'Test Light' with a BULB, not the LED version (about $6 at the parts store, looks like an Ice Pick with a bulb in the handle and a wire coming out of the handle).
2. Connect the test light 'Wire' to the battery NEGATIVE terminal so you have a solid testing 'Ground'.
3. Remove the coil connector from the ignition coil.
4. Use the 'Ice Pick' end to Probe the 'Red' wire terminal of the coil connector.
Have someone turn the key switch to 'Run', you should have a 'Dim' light.
*IF* you DO NOT have a 'Dim' Light, the problem is with the Ignition Fuse, Ignition Switch, Factory Tach, or Bulk Head Connector in most cases.
5. Have someone turn the key switch to 'Start' and you should have a bright light.
CAUTION! THE ENGINE WILL CRANK, SO BE CLEAR OF THE FAN/BELTS!
*IF* You DO NOT have a 'Bright Light' in the 'Start Position' of the key switch while the engine is cranking,
Then small 'Red' wire from the 'I' terminal on the Starter Relay to the Ignition Coil has given up.
6. Remove the 'Wire' from the test light, connect it to the POSITIVE battery terminal.
7. Probe the Coil Connector 'Green' wire.
You should get a 'Bright Light'.
*IF* you DO NOT get a bright light, the 'Green' wire from coil connector to Ignition Module has given up,
The 'Black' Wire from Module to Distributor isn't 'Grounding' like it should.
8. Probe the 'Green' wire connection at the Coil Connector and have the engine 'CRANK' again.
The light should 'FLASH'.
If it does NOT Flash, you have a bad module, bad trigger in the distributor, something like that.
99 times out of 100, it's the module not working.
'Free' internet information is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!
LINK:BASIC WIRING 101.
LINK:Dual Battery Diagrams & Explanations.
LINK:Winch, Welding, 'Lend Power' Project,
LINK:Water Proofing Ignition, Hubs, Ect.,
LINK:Small Cap 'HEI' V-8 Distributor.
LINK:Low Budget Fuel Injection Distributor,
LINK:AMC V-8 Front Cover Recondition,
LINK:Tuning An AMC V-8,
LINK:Ignition Swaps '77 Older Jeeps,
LINK:'78-'90 Jeep Ignition Upgrades,