No Start CJ7 304 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > No Start CJ7 304

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
CombatCarlJeep
1979 CJ7 

No Start CJ7 304

A few weeks ago, I left my key in the run position over night. The battery was drained the next morning. I left on vacation for two weeks and have to let the jeep set. I now have time to work in it again. So, I charges the battery and try to fire it up. It turns over but till won't start. I'm got fuel and air just no spark.??? plugs, wires, cap, and coil are less than six month old. Help?

Unread 07-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

A 'Quirk' of Jeep/Motorcraft ignitions is when you leave the key switch in the 'Run' position WITHOUT the engine running,
It overheats and kills the module and sometimes the coil.

Look on the bottom/back side of the passenger fender (under washer tank) as see if there is a 'Ooze' running out of your module...
If so, then the module is fried.

If you want to go into full scale testing of your module/ignition,

1. Whip out a 'Test Light' with a BULB, not the LED version (about $6 at the parts store, looks like an Ice Pick with a bulb in the handle and a wire coming out of the handle).

2. Connect the test light 'Wire' to the battery NEGATIVE terminal so you have a solid testing 'Ground'.

3. Remove the coil connector from the ignition coil.

4. Use the 'Ice Pick' end to Probe the 'Red' wire terminal of the coil connector.
Have someone turn the key switch to 'Run', you should have a 'Dim' light.

*IF* you DO NOT have a 'Dim' Light, the problem is with the Ignition Fuse, Ignition Switch, Factory Tach, or Bulk Head Connector in most cases.

5. Have someone turn the key switch to 'Start' and you should have a bright light.
CAUTION! THE ENGINE WILL CRANK, SO BE CLEAR OF THE FAN/BELTS!

*IF* You DO NOT have a 'Bright Light' in the 'Start Position' of the key switch while the engine is cranking,
Then small 'Red' wire from the 'I' terminal on the Starter Relay to the Ignition Coil has given up.

6. Remove the 'Wire' from the test light, connect it to the POSITIVE battery terminal.

7. Probe the Coil Connector 'Green' wire.
You should get a 'Bright Light'.

*IF* you DO NOT get a bright light, the 'Green' wire from coil connector to Ignition Module has given up,
OR,
The 'Black' Wire from Module to Distributor isn't 'Grounding' like it should.

8. Probe the 'Green' wire connection at the Coil Connector and have the engine 'CRANK' again.
The light should 'FLASH'.

If it does NOT Flash, you have a bad module, bad trigger in the distributor, something like that.
99 times out of 100, it's the module not working.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

and just real quickly visually inspect the coil to see if the top is bulged out/cracked/ leaking oil.
Last time I did that it blew the coil up.
Hammer's dead right but you may be able to just look at the coil w/o even opening the tool box.
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

I'd hit a yard and grab two different motorcraft modules and a coil,and swap em' in one at a time till you start. You'll need the parts anyway,and they are so easy to swap in for troubleshooting.In this particular case,shotgun troubleshooting (throwing parts at it) will take about as long as proper troubleshooting, and you'll need the part anyhow. At least you know what happened to your to keep it simple and cheap
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
CombatCarlJeep
1979 CJ7 

Hammer thanks for the write up. I really hope you didn't type all that just for me.

I hooked up test light to the red wire switch the ignition to run. I got a bright light for a second and the bulb blew.
Unread 07-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Yup it was for you...

And YUP! You own a Jeep!
Even the TOOLS screw with you!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.