No Spark – Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > No Spark – Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Woolys_CJ7
1976 CJ7 

No Spark – Help

I just finished rebuilding the top end of the 304 and everything is back together and hooked up as before when it was running. Engine turns over fine but we have no spark, checked at the number 1 cylinder and then from the coil to the distributer, no spark at either location.

I then followed the Chilton manual as best as I understood the trouble shooting procedure. What I found at the coil with the ohm meter was battery voltage from the positive terminal of the coil to ground, which is what the manual says is correct. Then I tested the negative side, have battery voltage, supposed to have 5 to 8 volts, further testing on coil made me question the coil and I purchase a new one. I still have battery voltage on the negative terminal, and no spark from the coil, check by turning engine over with ignition on and holding coil wire ½ inch from a ground.

Looking for ideas and testing procedural help.

Thanks in Advance,
Wooly

Woolys_CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

you my want to check your ignition module,I think most auto parts stores can test them for you
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Does your '76 use the Prestolite ignition? Jeephammer has some general testing procedures here and more specific info for the Prestolite: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...0/#post7068393
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
Woolys_CJ7
1976 CJ7 

Thank you the link to Jeephammers write up was exactly what I was looking for!
Unread 01-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Woolys_CJ7
1976 CJ7 

Result, it was the factory plug from the module into the harness no longer making a good connection. A little electrical contact cleaner followed up with dialectic grease and problem solved. Now to fix the exhaust leak.

Thanks
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Well if you still have that original Presolite distributor and ignition, time to change that out.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.