No spark in the cylinder. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > No spark in the cylinder.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
JeepNub
1976 CJ5 

No spark in the cylinder.

Im not getting any spark when im tring to start my 304.
I replacd the starter solenoid a few days ago, because it was having trouble turning over. Now it turns over well, but wont fire.

What should be the first things i look for? Should i just go for new spark plug wires first?

Maybe a new coil?

Im sick of all these little issues haha Seems to be one after the next

The hypothalamus is one of the most important parts of the brain, involved in many kinds of motivation, among other functions. The hypothalamus controls the "Four F's": Fighting, fleeing, feeding and... mating. ;)
JeepNub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNub
Im not getting any spark when im tring to start my 304.
I replacd the starter solenoid a few days ago, because it was having trouble turning over. Now it turns over well, but wont fire.

What should be the first things i look for? Should i just go for new spark plug wires first?

Maybe a new coil?

Im sick of all these little issues haha Seems to be one after the next
How did you diagnose no spark, Spark tester? If you open the hood at night with it running if the wires are bad it will probably look like a Christmas tree with a bunch of little arcs coming off of them. If not use a spark tester or carefully prop up a screwdriver with one end in the boot at the end of the wire and the screwdriver about a 1/4 inch or less over the valve cover and have someone watch it for spark. If both of those are good try looking in your distributor cap looking for corrosion or shavings in the cap, replace if necessary. If it still won't run pick up a new coil and try that; test before you buy, you'll save a lot of money by not just throwing money at it until it works.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

76 with no spark - please help

Hey guys,

I have a 76 with no spark as tested with the lighted spark tester at the plug and the coil to distributor. Everything worked when I parked it a month ago, but now it turns over strong but no spark. So the solenoid is good. What is a good method to test the connections between the solenoid and coil?

I don't have a bulb tester, but I do have a voltmeter. I appreciate the advice. I've read a hundred posts on here but can't find anything for my setup..yet.

Thanks,
D
Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

76 with no spark - please advise

Hey guys,

I have a 76 with no spark as tested with the lighted spark tester at the plug and the coil to distributor. Everything worked when I parked it a month ago, but now it turns over strong but no spark. So the solenoid is good. What is a good method to test the connections between the solenoid and coil?

I don't have a bulb tester, but I do have a voltmeter. I appreciate the advice. I've read a hundred posts on here but can't find anything for my setup..yet.

Thanks,
D
Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
petey156
1977 CJ5 

76 would be a presto lite ignition module I would start with changing it
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

First, run a 'jumper-wire' from the POS(+)side of the battery to the POS(+)side of the coil. If it now starts. You have an ign switch issue.
If still a no-start, now look real hard at the ign mod.
IF it is the ign mod. Get one from NAPA and not the cheapee stores who fill their shelves with China crap.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.