no power coming out of the solenoid with the switch in the "start" or "on" positions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > no power coming out of the solenoid with the switch in the "start" or "on" positions

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 07-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
SPless

no power coming out of the solenoid with the switch in the "start" or "on" positions

Just joined up over here, and am trying to get an '80 CJ7 with a 4.2 running. I have a new solenoid, and have power going into the solenoid. I don't have power coming out of the solenoid with the switch in the "start" or "on" positions...I'm currently trying to track down the hot wire from the ignition and make sure the switch is actually hooked up. I realize the starter is probably locked up, but if I can just get power to the starter I would be happy.

SPless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

you can jump the solenoid to power the started.
Tips on doing a Battery draw test check this out it might help.
jeffyjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
SPless

I tried that with the old solenoid, by switching the switch on and connecting the terminals with a wire. When I got nothing I put a test light on the power wire going to the starter, and got nothing
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

asuming you have a good ground, jumping from the bat side to the starter side should power the starter no matter what. other than that i got nothing.
good luck and welcome to the forum.
jeffyjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
SPless

Thanks man....I guess I'm about to go check my wiring again. Excited to be here, and hoping I actually get the thing as I've already put ~6 hours of labor into it..
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
SPless

I got it running guys...to be a 1980, and not cranked in a year all I had to do was to pour some gas in the carb and fire her up. She ran strong, and the 4wd bucked HARD...may need a power steering pump soon though. Ended up being what I was suspecting all day but couldn't find. The hot wire from the switch wasn't plugged into the solenoid.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.