No Power At All, Nothing, Nada! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > No Power At All, Nothing, Nada!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-21-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
kkochan
1984 CJ7 

No Power At All, Nothing, Nada!

My 84 CJ7 has no power at all. No lights, no dash, no crank. I had the battery tested and it registered 12 volts, they also put it on the charger for another 30 minutes. I replaced the battery terminals and still nothing. Prior to having the battery tested, I tried to jump it with the same result, one exception though. At one point it fired right up. After stalling out it died and back to no power at all, anywhere. Prior to this happening, it was running and starting with no problems.

Please help!

kkochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Check and clean all battery cable grounding locations! Scrape, file, wire brush to clean down to "bare" metal. If that doesn't fix it, check battery cables for corrosion, breaks and replace as needed.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

On the starter relay ('solenoid') you will find the battery cable goes in one of the large terminals.

On that same large terminal, you will find two smaller (10 Ga.) Wires hooked up there.

Now, the first 5" or so of those wires is a FUSIBLE LINK,
A type of wire that acts like a fuse to protect the wires they are connected to.

What I want you to do is 'TUG' on the wires, watching the last 5" or so...
DON'T YANK THE WIRES! JUST TUGGING IS ALL IT TAKES TO CHECK THEM!

If the wire 'Stretches', you have a bad fusible link.

One of those wires goes to the back of the alternator,
The other goes to the fuse block and provides power to EVERYTHING BUT the alternator...

My guess is you have a broken Fusible Link and your fuse block isn't getting any current,
But every once in a while, you get enough connection to run things for a few minutes.

One way to test this is...
Take a small piece of wire (4" or so),
Strip both ends, and jump from the battery cable connection to the small terminal on the solenoid with the 'Blue' wire.
(MAKE SURE THE VEHICLE IS OUT OF GEAR!)

If the engine 'Cranks', you are up to about 99.9% chance it's the fusible link that is the 'Issue'...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
kkochan
1984 CJ7 

Ok, thanks for the advice. I replaced the battery cables and made sure that the contact point is clean. I also tested the fusible link as recomended. I replaced the starter solenoid and still have nothing. No headlights, no crank, nothing.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Kevin
kkochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
84cjseven
1984 CJ7 

Time to start probing with a test light. I burned the main wire on a header once at the ing. module on the left fender. That large wire supplies everything inside. Probe where that wire passes through the fire wall. Not sure if that wire has a circut breaker or not.
84cjseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Terminals or cables? You use both words when saying 'replaced'?? Cables have two ends that both need cleaning, especially the end at the engine block.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkochan View Post
Ok, thanks for the advice. I replaced the battery cables and made sure that the contact point is clean. I also tested the fusible link as recomended. I replaced the starter solenoid and still have nothing. No headlights, no crank, nothing.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Kevin:

Time to try JH advice as he stated above:

Take a small piece of wire (4" or so),
Strip both ends, and jump from the battery cable connection to the small terminal on the solenoid with the 'Blue' wire.
(MAKE SURE THE VEHICLE IS OUT OF GEAR!)

By doing this you bypass all the vehical wiring to see if the starter will engage by just energizing the starter relay ( solenoid).

Let us know if the engine will turn over with this simple test.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I'll bet it is the 10 gage wire with the fuseable link that is fried like JeepHammer has already suggested.

I had the exact same problem with a Ford truck and they use the same wiring setup as Jeeps.

It was a heavy yellow wire if I am not mistaken that comes off of the alternator. That wire powers the entire fuse block.
Unread 01-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I'll bet it is the 10 gage wire with the fuseable link that is fried like JeepHammer has already suggested.

I had the exact same problem with a Ford truck and they use the same wiring setup as Jeeps.

It was a heavy yellow wire if I am not mistaken that comes off of the alternator. That wire powers the entire fuse block.
He says he tested the fusible links, but still a possibility

If he has battery power at the fuseblock than the link should be good. I wonder if his headlights some on?

Jim
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
84cjseven
1984 CJ7 

According to OP no Headlights............. Nothing. So I am assmuning he has zro voltage to fuse block.
84cjseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Thanks again,
Kevin
You can't test a fuseable link just by tugging on it. Mine link was fine, but the terminal was pretty corroded.

Take a test light with a sharp point or a multimeter, pierce the insulation on the wire and test both sides of the link.

I'd be willing to bet you don't any power on the side opposite the alternator.
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Boxcar
1974 CJ5 

Remove the fusable links and throw them over your left sholder!!!!! Then replace them with 20amp breakers. Now go to the point where your harness passes through the fire wall ,if it is socketed (a plug) remove the center bolt that holds the plugs together unplug the socket and look at all the goo..... clean all the goo of all the contacts (take your time and do a good job) grease everything with a good quality contact grease. reintall plug then try to watterproof the whole aperatis. This is one ov the most overlooked problem with manny jeeps.Mine is encapsulated with a tupperware box..........Boxcar
Boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

At the risk of over-simplifying, you might want to yank the battery out of your other car, or a friends, whatever, and give it a try. Just because it measured 12 volts doesn't necessarily make it good, and if it is fried, then charging it for 30 minutes won't make it better. Easy enough to try a known good battery, just in case...
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
My 84 CJ7 has no power at all. No lights, no dash, no crank. I had the battery tested and it registered 12 volts, they also put it on the charger for another 30 minutes. I replaced the battery terminals and still nothing. Prior to having the battery tested, I tried to jump it with the same result, one exception though. At one point it fired right up. After stalling out it died and back to no power at all, anywhere. Prior to this happening, it was running and starting with no problems.

Please help!
12.V is not a good reading on a auto battery... they should read 12.5 to 12.8 or so. So not a good sign.

Changing battery terminals is not always a good solution. The rest of wire could be crud and you may never see it. The CJ has very poor gounds and it causes lots of starting and failures.

JeepHammer has lots of knowledge on this subject and would encourage you to follow his suggestion.

Here are some posts on battery cables and aux grounding. I suggest you do it all.

Jeep Aux Grounds by JeepHammer
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/be...hammer-833631/

Making Battery Cables by JeepHammer
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ma...rectly-691172/

Aux Grounds
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...t-idle-614545/

Punch List for CJ problems and good results
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...t-idle-614545/

Ignition Test Steps by JeepHammer
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/he...-spark-918041/
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #15
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84cjseven View Post
According to OP no Headlights............. Nothing. So I am assmuning he has zro voltage to fuse block.
Yea, I missed that no lights comment on the OP.

Jim

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.