No Ignition Power - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mbroos
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Mbroos

No Ignition Power

Hi all. First time poster. Jeep is a 1985 CJ-7 with a 258. Have owned it a few months and still getting to know it and what the PO had done. Earlier today I replaced the brake master cylinder. After doing so, the tail lights would not turn off. Quick search of this forum pointed me to the issue of the piston on the MC being slightly shorter than the last and i needed to adjust the switch at the brake pedal. To get access to the switch, I had to move a wiring harness coming out of the steering column a few inches. I unplugged the battery prior to doing so to avoid an inadvertent short. After the tail light switch adjustment (which was not fun), I hooked back up the battery back and had no power at the ignition. Head lights, tail lights, horn and hazards all worked. However, no power at ignition or any other accessory (radio, wipers, fan, etc.). When i turn the key, it is as if the battery is dead. I checked the fuses in the fuse box and all appear to be good.

I have done a search and did not see anything similar, so apologize if another post is out there with a similar issue.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Fairly mechanically inclined but have always been intimidated by the electrical issues......

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 PM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

You may be able to work it out from this diagram, you have interrupted the switched power. The RED wire in the middle of the diagram coming from a 5 way junction left and down to the ignition switch. You will note the other 4 wires are all feeding lights, horn etc and are fully functional, so it must be after this junction that the main feed to the switch is being interrupted. IF you had shorted it, you would have burnt the fusible link upstream and none of this would work, so most likely it is downstream and is something not connecting.

This is the 84 to 86 fusebox schematic.

The way it accomplishes this feat is to go to the column connector at the bottom of the steering column and fastens on to the bottom of the ignition switch (not the key at the top, there is a rack and arm that goes down to the switch) and the switch distributes it back down through the column connector.

RED is reserved for permanently live wires, red with tracer are ignition ON etc.

I suggest you look at that connector and see if it is loose, identify the big RED wire and check if it is live. It is possible you have moved the switch, so check the operation of the key and rack on the switch. Loss of switched power suggests a loose connector or a switch that is not being engaged, usually due to adjustment. To adjust the switch, loosen its mounting screws and move it up and down. Make sure the transmission is in neutral whilst doing any of this.
Attached Images

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Mbroos

Bagus - thanks for the quick reply. I will proceed as you suggested. Might PM you if can't get any traction with the above. Much appreciated.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 06:55 AM
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

probably have done this, but if not, check your battery connections. See if you have 12V at the start solenoid on the fender (easy location).
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Mbroos

Bagus- Thanks for the help. Your comments pointed me in the right direction. Problem solved (knock on wood). Good for me is that my jeep is running. Bad for you is I know who to ping with the next electrical issue. Thank you.
John Strenk likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 AM
BagusJeep
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroos View Post
Bagus- Thanks for the help. Your comments pointed me in the right direction. Problem solved (knock on wood). Good for me is that my jeep is running. Bad for you is I know who to ping with the next electrical issue. Thank you.
I see John Strenk liked that, but please send John anything tricky as I am definitely amateur grade.
John Strenk likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.