No high RPM power - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > No high RPM power

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Kevin,

I've read there are two distinct difference between the pre and post computer Motorcraft dizzys.

1. The pre-computer head has 13 and 18* advance slots. The computer version has 7 and 8* slots, roughly.
2. The computer version has a smaller range of vac advance that comes in slightly sooner.

I've had decent success with the NAPA re-man'd Motorcraft dizzys. If you decide get one, ask for a 1979 Jeep CJ distributer, and confirm that it has the correct 13-18* head. You can see the advance slot labels thru a little peep hole in the top plate.

Matt

dizzyrework4.jpg   dizzypeephole.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

Thanks Matt,
In that case my distributor is already pre-computer. Saves me some trouble but I would hoping that this was going to be the solution.

I just ordered a tach for under the hood. Once it arrives, I will plot the advance curve and see what is next. Luckily, the Jeep is completely usable as is, so there is no rush. If the advance is late, like I think it is, then I will make either a spring change or a weight change. As stated, it does advance, but I am not sure that it revs high enough on the road to start advancing.
CJKevin1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

My tiny-tach showed up today and it confirmed what I thought. I see no move in the centrifugal advance until ~2100 and I don't seen any real movement until almost 2400.

Springs too strong? It seemed smooth once it started moving and also when I turned the trigger manually, so I don't think its an issue of friction.

Will be away from the Jeep until next sat so any more adjustments will have to wait 'til then.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

Been too busy to make any changes or do any more testing. But I have driven with it with the OEM tach and the new tach side by side. What I have found it that the power doesn't drop at an RPM as low as I thought. The OEM tach reads 500 RPM high at low revs and ~500 RPM low at high revs. So the engine doesn't fall flat at 3K like I thought but at 3500 which seems to be a little more like what I should expect.

I will still seek more centrifugal advance at some point.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

This may help;

Tune up on a 285 / Weber Carburetor / Distributor / Timing / Advance / Discussion

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tu...ssion-1527457/

The guys helping you know what they are talking about.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.