No Heat, Blower doesn't work need wiring help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > No Heat, Blower doesn't work need wiring help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
myridge
1979 CJ7 

No Heat, Blower doesn't work need wiring help

Well its all back together and I have found a few little odds and ends that don't work. The heater is one of them. The PO swapped in an aftermarket switch and when I rebuilt the jeep I went with a factory 3 speed switch. The PO removed the terminals from the factory plug and I am not 100% sure where they go back into the factory plug. I found a diagram using a search but my colors don't seem to match the diagram. I have TAN, TAN Stripe, Brown, Brown Stripe

Is there a way to test the blower motor? Could I put 12 volts to the terminal on the firewall or would that damage the blower? I just want to rule out a bad motor. If its bad I will do a blazer upgrade.

Also the red fiberboard on the resistor going to the duct-work is broken but the resistor looks OK. Would that cause a problem?

Attached is the diagram I found and an old before picture of the old aftermarket switch

img_0404.jpg   78-86heaterswitch.jpg  
myridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Yes, you can test the motor by hooking it up to 12V and ground. Doing this is the same as running the motor on the "High" setting.

I'd start by doing that anyway.
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Those other wires just connect the various switch positions to the various resistance wires in the blower resistor. Even if they are hooked up in the wrong order, the motor will still work but the speeds will be wrong.
And many in between!
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
myridge
1979 CJ7 

Thanks, All I get is a humm when I turn the switch to High which tells me the blower motor is bad.

I'll try and put 12 volts directly to the motor to rule out a bad resistor and if it really won't spin I guess I'll pull it back out and do the Blazer upgrade

If it is the resistor where can I get one? I don't see any listed online except for the YJ which actually looks very similar.
myridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

I don't think the CJ's came from the factory with a resistor, although I could be wrong. I think mine is just an on-off thing.

Any resistor should work, provided it is meant for a three speed switch. The YJ should be just fine.
And many in between!
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myridge
Well its all back together and I have found a few little odds and ends that don't work. The heater is one of them. The PO swapped in an aftermarket switch and when I rebuilt the jeep I went with a factory 3 speed switch. The PO removed the terminals from the factory plug and I am not 100% sure where they go back into the factory plug. I found a diagram using a search but my colors don't seem to match the diagram. I have TAN, TAN Stripe, Brown, Brown Stripe Is there a way to test the blower motor? Could I put 12 volts to the terminal on the firewall or would that damage the blower? I just want to rule out a bad motor. If its bad I will do a blazer upgrade. Also the red fiberboard on the resistor going to the duct-work is broken but the resistor looks OK. Would that cause a problem? Attached is the diagram I found and an old before picture of the old aftermarket switch
I just finished putting my heater back in and upgrading to the blazer blower. The tan wire runs to the position under the blower motor. The tan and tan/white combine on the right plug on resistor, the brown/white plugs the bottom and the brown plugs in left. Your heater box grounds when secured to the firewall so if you test it outside of the vehicle you shouldn't get the motor turning.
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It could be a mouse nest keeping it from turning also....
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Or a screw driver, flashlight, ammunition I've found all that and more in the heater box.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

Go ahead and do the Blazer motor. They're cheap and man what a difference. Not only do you get a good heater, but you get defrost that actually works!

M

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.