no clue on gearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > no clue on gearing

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
chuckwag
1981 CJ5 

no clue on gearing

well i'am just about finished with my cj5, i mounted 31's on it and the engine was redone and bored 30 over w/new pistons and cam. the gearing is 2.73 and by what i've read so far i think i will need to regear it. and i may put a locker or similar item in the front and back.

i need advice on this, and we do get alot of ice and snow.

chuckwag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

4.10 would be a good start for that size. It all depends on engine and what you want to do with it. If you can tell us that it would be a lot more help.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
chuckwag
1981 CJ5 

well for the next year or so i'll be running alot of country roads, highway and let the new paint job get a few nicks before i take it up to northern maine trails and up into the woods in canada.

the jeep has a t176 and dana 300, and has a complete rebuilt to it everything is new mostly redone with nos parts about 95 percent of it.
chuckwag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

I think the 4.10s like I said before would be good for that kind of driving. I dont remember the site but theres a chart where it shows gears for tire size. Are you going to be going up in tire size in the future also? Might as well upgrade it all the way now so you dont spend 2-3 times the cost over its lifetime.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

If it's primarily a daily driver, even in snow and ice, and it will only occasionally be used off-road, I'd think 3.73 gears would be fine with those 31" tires. If you're going to do a fair amount of off-roading and not a lot of freeway driving, then 4.10 gears would probably be the better choice.

If you're going to drive on ice a lot, I'd suggest opting for a selectible locker, rather than an auto locker. Auto lockers can sometimes get you going sideways on ice, especially on off-camber roads.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
spk454
1983 CJ8 

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/gearing.htm

these are great calculators, let you calculate crawl ratios and highway rpm's at any desired highway speed based on tranny/transfer case final drive ratios (1 and 1 in your case ) t-case low range ( 2.62 for dana 300 (stock)) and tire size...
spk454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

A four speed with 3.73's and 31's will do nicely on the road. Look to an LS such as the Powr Lok or True Track (Steer clear of the Trac Lok)for a traction device. Invisible and more than adequate for what you are going to be doing.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.