Nick's 83 CJ7 frame off build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Nick's 83 CJ7 frame off build

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Looking good. Did you test fit your wheels yet? That zerk fitting looks a bit high. What wire or stick did you use and did you heat up the center section before welding on it?

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #17
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

I was concerned about the zerk on the front hub, but the wheel fits, you just have to put it on by starting up there by the zerk.

I used sticks to do the truss. i think i was using 1/8 7018 rods, maybe a little bigger 3/16. This allowed me to get good penetration. I didnt preheat, I just worked all the sides. I'd do one side, hit the other, flip the axle and go again. I tried to keep the heat down, the pumpkin was getting pretty warm and it has no oil in it, so I didnt want to melt my inner seals. After each weld was done though along the cast, I would hit the slag off with the sharp end of the hammer and bang on it, essentially pinging it to help relieve any stress concentrations. Had a couple of pops when I had first tacked it, but no problems when I was running beads. If the casting cracks, I've got cast iron rods for that, so I'm not too worried
Colorado Jeep Club Member #2086

[COLOR="black"] /l , [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [____],
l---L---OlllllllO-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)=[COLOR="Yellow"]@[/COLOR]=)_)

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
outdoorguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

So I've made quite a bit of progress over the last two weeks. So I'll break it up into two posts. I started out getting the diff covers etched and primed

My old man got a coat of black chassis saver on the frame over the week. Started by getting the skid plate back on (later I'll learn I used the wrong holes to mount it.....) Had to use some spreaders to push the frame apart a bit. Then got the springs on.

Got the rear axle in

Then the front on

I ended up spending about 3 hours putting the pass side of the front axle together. I got it all together and then couldnt get the part for the locking hub far enough onto the spline to get the c-clip on. I tried all sorts of things. I ended up having an extra plastic washer on the axle up against the spindle, so it was about 3/32ns too far out. It took a while to find that mistake

Started running some brake lines and then called it good for the weekend.

Took the proportional valve back up to Boulder with me to clean up and break all the rusted fittings over the week

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #19
jakeryii
1967 CJ5 

looking good your making good progress on it
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #20
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Picked up this guy for a good price on CL. Doesnt spool out, just clicks at the moment. I pulled open the solenoid box, and its a little dusty in there, so going to clean that up and see if it makes a difference. If not Then I'll replace the bad solenoid.

Started out by cleaning off all the gunk that had accumulated on the tranny and transfer case

I had gotten the front and rear covers painted up and put on the axles. The flash makes it a little hard to see, but I really like the way they turned out.

Got a bunch of the fuel and brake lines ran

Got the new clutch installed. This is one of those jobs that always sounded like a scary thing, but when the engine and tranny are out of the vehicle, it really isnt that bad

Got the tranny back on the engine and moved the whole thing onto the frame. It was a bit of a fight to get both the engine and the tranny to line up. May have been easier to do them separately. Turns out I had the skid plate mounted off a bolt, so the tranny mount wasnt quite lining up. Moved the skid and it finially lined up. Turns out the bracket that mounts to the tranny was also wrong, so the driveline was pushed way to the pass side. Got that fixed the next morning after looking at some pictures on here.

Got it straightened out, and the steering box and pump back in.

Got the exhaust and intake manifolds back on

started rebuilding the clutch components

Less and less parts on the floor is a good thing

Unread 06-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #21
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

So I need to go through and add a bunch of pictures, but I figured I'd give an update. I've made a LOT of progress; the jeep is probably 90% put back together. I got the tub monstalined inside and out (my original intent before this turned into a full on frame up.... ). I'm very happy with how it turned out, and the stuff is pretty durable. I've been doing lots of work in the interior and dropping tools and whatnot, and it hasnt scratched it or affected it in the slightest. So a big for the

The electrical has taken me much longer than I would have liked. I spent a whole day working the dash, running new grounds for all the gauges, installing a tach, and cleaning up old wiring. Spent a good portion of saturday redoing the headlight wiring. I have some HID 55/100 W lights to run, so had to follow JH upgrade instructions to run them off relays. I got everything wired up and tested them. Only one low beam on, but both highs would come on. Naturally I should have assumed that maybe a bulb was bad, but I assumed my wiring was wrong. So I spent probably 1.5 hours messing with it before I figured out that it was just a bad bulb. Luckily I had bought extras, so got that fixed. Put the radiator back in and decided to test the turn signals, which were not working correctly. I had wired the running and turn lights to be on, but had failed to incorporate the turn signal OH: So pulled the radiator and got that working again.

Finished up the wiring under the hood, I only have 2 wires that I dont know where they go. A white with tracer and a red that are on the same harness as the 4wd switch wire. I have no idea where they go, but they have bolt eye electrical connections. Somehow I burnt out the starter solenoid, so when I went to crank nothing. Holding the starter cable to the battery cranked her over and she ran to life !!! When I pulled it into the garage months ago, it was only running on one fuel injector and running really rough. Now she purrs like a kitten. The combination of dedicated grounds and new engine mounts made a world of a difference. Still have a bit of an exhaust leak at the manifold to downpipe coupling, so have to go back and try and tighten that up a bit.

I've got an electrical gremlin in the rear end. I ran dedicated ground to the rear lights thinking that would help the issues I was having before with dim lights. Well it certanily helped. Issue I'm having now is that the tail lights are on when nothing is running, key off. If I pull the switch for the lights and headlights, they go off.... I havent changed anything to the rear lights except the dedicated ground. They are on as if you were stepping on the brakes (brighter) and the rear backup lamps are also on. Anyone have any input on that? I currently just have them unplugged in the rear. Turn signals work back there, but they are just always on.

Unread 06-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Slugo

1983 CJ7 

Looking good. Pulling up a seat. . . . .
Slugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #23
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

It's getting there!

forumrunner_20120625_102442.jpg

Unread 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Great work! I admire your patience. Good mentor for me!!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #25
jeepcliffband
1977 CJ5 

Dude! B.A. You have made quick work of that Jeep! Was wondering how you were doing with the fire and all. Good to see you are almost done. Would enjoy seeing the finished tub.
jeepcliffband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Well I finally drove her this weekend! That was a pretty awesome feeling. I'm amazed how much better she is running than before. Got my genright bumper on there, took a little modification since is for a yj frame.

forumrunner_20120702_120546.jpg

forumrunner_20120702_120607.jpg

Unread 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
P-Dawg

Nice build like the colour!!!
P-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #28
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Outstanding Nick!! What a nice looking rig. Is that your "old man" in the pics? I was thinking that was you all along! I have the wiring left to do on our build. How would you rate that job? It is intimidatiing to me.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Outstanding Nick!! What a nice looking rig. Is that your "old man" in the pics? I was thinking that was you all along! I have the wiring left to do on our build. How would you rate that job? It is intimidatiing to me.
Ha, yeah that is the "old man" in the pictures. I'm still a youngin' at 25.

I've kinda taken over his detached garage with this project.... So its been in his interest to help out so he can have his garage back for woodworking. Looks like I'm going to be scrubbing the concrete floor and cleaning grease off of tools this weekend....

There were a couple of jobs I was intimidated by when I started my rebuild: clutch, axle, and wiring. The clutch was actually really easy, and the axle was easy after doing everything twice ("borrowing" parts from one axle to put on the other). The wiring took me a while though. I was expecting one weekend and it ended up taking me two. Electrical work is not my strong suit, I'd rather stick to welding and mechanical work

I went through and tried to clean up under the dash which took me a whole day pretty much. Did dedicated grounds, so was running wires from gauges and lights to grounds. Everything was soldered, then hit with liquid electrical tape, then wrapped with electrical tape so that whole process just took a while. New wires off the battery to the starter and solenoid. A grounding post on either fender that I filled up. Anything that had a ground wire sticking out went to a post.

Just take your time and get yourself a good wiring diagram (there is a color version floating around on here pm me with your email if you want and I'll send you a copy). Test light came in handy as well. Oh and I probably worked backwards doing the dash first then under the hood, I feel I should have done it the other way around.

Unread 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
JeepJunkie98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the build. Love the . Great job on the diff covers.

Looks like you got some pictures to fill on after you get done degreasing that floor and taking that thing for a ride.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.