Nick's 83 CJ7 frame off build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Nick's 83 CJ7 frame off build

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Nick's 83 CJ7 frame off build

Hey guys! As my CJ is currently torn apart, thought it would be an appropriate time to start my build thread.

So I bought my jeep back in Sept 2011, not really knowing anything about jeeps other than I wanted one. I had looked at several on craigslist and settled on this bad boy. It needed some work, but not too much....so I thought.

p9260356.jpg

I started replacing and fixing miscellaneous parts that were easy to do. Found out I was running 2.73 gearing with the PO's 33x12.5 tires, which was why it was such a dog off the line. I traded a guy my BFG AT for some smaller KM2's with quite a bit of life left on them. When I got them mounted the guys at the shop told me that my wheels were pretty out of wack and they couldnt fully balance them. I also had 3 8" rims and one 7". I decided to get a new set of Craigar Soft 8's, which made it look much better.

pc170080.jpg

Next came the Team Rush upgrade. Having a glass body on it, I began to learn of the issues involved with improper grounding. Thats when I decided I would pull the body off, paint it and fix the wiring. We all know what happens next....

2012-04-07-15.29.35.jpg

PO used carriage bolts as some of the body mount bolts for some reason. There was no way those were coming off, so just took the grinder to the heads.
2012-04-07-16.22.45.jpg

Think I can reuse the body bolts?
2012-04-08-13.53.08.jpg

This is how she sits at the moment
2012-04-08-19.03.39.jpg

My plans are to coat the frame, replace brake and fuel hard lines, pull the engine to fix engine mount brackets, replace clutch, both interior and exterior of the tub, dedicated grounds, redo exhaust, fix cancer on the back of the frame, new springs, fab both front and rear bumpers, swap out Dana 30 for one with 4.10 gearing, weld and truss the amc 20 and get it re-geared, front and rear lockers, and anything else that comes up while doing all that

Great group of people on here, I look forward to everyone's input as I move along. If you think I'm doing something stupid, just and let me know.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2086

[COLOR="black"] /l , [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [____],
l---L---OlllllllO-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)=[COLOR="Yellow"]@[/COLOR]=)_)

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
outdoorguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Keep at it, I'm afraid of restoring my body since one of the biggest motivators for finishing a small job is knowing that I can drive my CJ again in a day or two. Body work is going to take some time and I'm afraid of losing motivation!
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

It's never stupid to pump life back into a Jeep. Their numbers are getting less and less every day. Keep the legend alive.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
RABJr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cool project! I shall be following...

Rick
RABJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

So I got a lot of work done on the jeep today. I now have just a frame sitting on jacks....not quite what I envisioned when I bought the jeep, but it happens I've got some welding to do on the frame to fix a few minor cancer spots and to beef up some areas I feel could use a little more metal. Going to continue with the silver chassis saver with a coat of the black after it comes in next week.

I got my rear end regeared with 4.10's by FrankZ. He was super quick about it, dropped my axle off in the morning and a few hours later it was done. I highly recommend him to anyone in the Colorado Springs area.

Pictures will be up tomorrow

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
FrankZ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to help.
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
SaskCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Subscribed! Like the rim choice, too.
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
jeepcliffband
1977 CJ5 

Subscribed. Look forward to seeing the liner job.
jeepcliffband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Great start! I am glad the yellow frame rails are going!! Did you ever enjoy the benefit of the TR upgrade? Or is it "waiting"?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

The yellow frame rails were something I was going to do. I thought it would be easy to track leaks. Don't think I'm going to go that road though. Going with two coats of silver chassis saver and a cost of black. I'll get some pics from this weekend up when I get on the real computer.

Unread 05-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Pictures as promised. I welded up my Blue Torch Fab diff covers for the Dana 30 and the AMC 20 today. The pieces could have fit together a little better, some corners ended up pretty close to the bolt holes, so I'll have to take a bit through the backside. I water tested them and have two small pinhole leaks, so have to go back and touch up those spots. Those things are BEEFY, bring on the rocks

So this weekend I was able to get the frame completely stripped down. Took of the engine, tranny, all fuel and brake lines, ....everything. I touched up a couple of spots on the frame with the welder, and replaced the rear portion that was rotted out.

That rear end isnt going anywhere now. 1/4 inch box welded to the frame where I cut it, then lapped over with 3/16 plate on 3 sides. P put a piece of 1/4 angle spanning the back, to be the base for the bumper and to hold the body mounts in the rear. There is a second piece of 1/4 inch that goes between the frame rails that ill have bolts welded on to hold the skid plate for the fuel tank. So all in all, the rear end has 1/2 of steel between the frame rails. I feel sorry for the poor SOB that ever hits the rear end of that thing.....

Unread 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Great start! I am glad the yellow frame rails are going!! Did you ever enjoy the benefit of the TR upgrade? Or is it "waiting"?
I was able to run it with the TR, I did that when I was starting to have problems with it shutting off on me at stop lights and signs. I think the issue was grounding to the fuel injection, not sure. But I know it did start up and sound a lot better after the TR

Unread 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

great progress so far, I like your choice of diff covers!

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Looking good Nick. The back end certainly does look beefy. Have you test fitted your gas tank?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

I have not fit the gas tank, but I did test to make sure the skid plate for it fit, and there is plenty of room there, so I assume the gas tank will fit.

So here are a few pictures from my progress over the weekend. I started off by getting my Crabtree Die hangers welded on.

Then I moved on to getting my truss installed courtesy of BESRK. First I stitched a couple of welds around the axle tubes.

Then started trussing

I get to the end, and :Brickwall it comes up short. I must have screwed something up. so I just cut the rounded part and put that against the tube and insert a filler piece in there, problem solved.

Finished product

Took a few pages out of the good book of JeepHammer and installed some grease fittings to keep water and grime out. I have the green sealed bearings, so its more of a second line of defense.

Same thing on the front hubs

I installed my Lock-Rite up front. Since the axle has the 4.10 gearing, the carrier has to be removed from the axle, which means I got to learn how the dana 20 is all put together. I get the carrier out and find that the thrust washers in there are cracked. No one in the town of Colorado Springs carries that part, but luckily I have the axle that I am replacing off the jeep = spare parts!! So I pull that axle apart to get the carrier out and steal the thrust washers from there, which was successful. I am now a master at taking apart the dana 30.

Next problem I run into is that now the locker wont drop into the carrier. So I grind away at it until it fits with just a hair of persuasion. I got it all together though. Just waiting for my rotors to finished being machined, then I can throw it back together. Hopefully a rolling chassis by the end of next weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.