Next step Team Rush upgrade ignition upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Next step Team Rush upgrade ignition upgrade

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
tevans59
1979 CJ7 

Next step Team Rush upgrade ignition upgrade

How can I tell what ignition system I have now? so that I can install the street fire ignition from MSD. I have been reading JeepHammers post and I have a few parts that I think I need, MSD pn 8862,8869 and from Summit pn850520,
The motor is a AMC 360 it has a motorcraft ign. box, there are no points in the distruber not sure what else to tell you that might help you figure it out

As always the advice you guys give is invaluable

tevans59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
turnabout
1974 CJ5 

Here you go:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/te...-my-v8-994119/
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevans59 View Post
How can I tell what ignition system I have now? so that I can install the street fire ignition from MSD. I have been reading JeepHammers post and I have a few parts that I think I need, MSD pn 8862,8869 and from Summit pn850520,
The motor is a AMC 360 it has a motorcraft ign. box, there are no points in the distruber not sure what else to tell you that might help you figure it out

As always the advice you guys give is invaluable
You have a standard Ford motorcraft ignition like all the later CJ's used.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
tevans59
1979 CJ7 

Thanks again guys , next weekend project
Unread 03-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
tevans59
1979 CJ7 

Do I remove the old wires from the old coil? I know it sounds like stupid questions but when it comes to electrical stuff rather be safe than sorry!

Curious question here, what happens to the other connector that is coming out of the old ignition box?
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
tevans59
1979 CJ7 

Just wanna say thanks again to all for the post and links, I added the MSD streetfire ignition and she runs great, just need to check the timing. I did ask on my last post did I need to lift the old wires from the coil well I did have to after I ran the spark test that MSD said to run.

Hey JeepHammer your drawings made all the difference in the world.
Unread 03-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

Tevans59. . . .I also have just ordered my MSD street fire box, cap/rotor, cables and coil for my team Rush upgrade. Gonna toss the HEI POS that the PO installed.

Sure seem to me that if your going to spend the bucks on the MSD box you should go ahead and get the hotter coil too.

You can bet the Hammer is reading and will provide you with the best answer.
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
tevans59
1979 CJ7 

Oh I did I installed the blaster 2 coil , MSD wires and new cap and adapter , but I think my jeep is really a AMC Gremlin lol Get this ..... the engine has now idled up and can not get it to go back down. I installed the upgrade kit cause I thought I had an issue with it bucking and shutting down when you would accel in third and fourth gear but it would start right back up. well.................. It did it again but did not shut down completly. I do still have the old disturbar was thinking of that would be my next step.

Think I will start a new thread to see if anyone has any ideas........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.