Newbie w/ Safety Neutral Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Newbie w/ Safety Neutral Question

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Spearhead78
1978 CJ7 

Newbie w/ Safety Neutral Question

Hello all.
I am new here and have picked up on my old CJ project. I built it myself (scary enough) and it doesn't have a safety neutral switch (which scares the heck out of me). Lets just say I have a dented bumper and a banged up garage.

I want to install the switch but don't know what I need. '78 CJ with original column. Chevy V8 and Chevy SM 465 manual transmission w/ Dana 20 transfer case. What do I need? Any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Spearhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

just find a buddy with a jeep that has a manual transmission. look at his safety switch,

i have a 1984 model cj with manual trans, my safety switch is on the clutch petal, the clutch must be pushed in, this closes the switch, before it will start.

so the safety switch must be activated by depressing the clutch.

not sure, but is this the answer to the question you are asking,

if so, it should be a std off the shelf part and hooked into the starter circuit
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmax
just find a buddy with a jeep that has a manual transmission. look at his safety switch,

i have a 1984 model cj with manual trans, my safety switch is on the clutch petal, the clutch must be pushed in, this closes the switch, before it will start.

so the safety switch must be activated by depressing the clutch.

not sure, but is this the answer to the question you are asking,

if so, it should be a std off the shelf part and hooked into the starter circuit
He is talking about the neutral safety switch that prevents a auto from starting when the columb is in foward or reverse gears.
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

i seen thru a search engine,they were adapting micro switches on the start wire to the tranny linkage.Might see how a chevy truck is setup
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I don't run one. When wheeling, sometimes it's needed to start in gear. Just gotta pay attention to what your doing.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/mr...52/index4.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/au...stion-1405376/

See if that helps
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
He is talking about the neutral safety switch that prevents a auto from starting when the columb is in foward or reverse gears.
Not with a SM465 manual transmission.

Personally, I hate clutch safety switches in manual transmission vehicles, and I've disabled them in every manual trans car I've owned. It only took one time of my running a dune buggy up my leg to learn always have your foot on the clutch of a manual trans vehicle when you start it.

If the Jeep is used off-road I would want the ability to move the vehicle with the starter if necessary, so if you have to have a clutch safety switch I would want a manual switch so I could override the clutch switch.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman

Not with a SM465 manual transmission.

Personally, I hate clutch safety switches in manual transmission vehicles, and I've disabled them in every manual trans car I've owned. It only took one time of my running a dune buggy up my leg to learn always have your foot on the clutch of a manual trans vehicle when you start it.

If the Jeep is used off-road I would want the ability to move the vehicle with the starter if necessary, so if you have to have a clutch safety switch I would want a manual switch so I could override the clutch switch.
Woops!!! Missed that whole part about being a manual..... Sorry !!!

Need to learn to watch the commercials instead of jumping on here for a few min...
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Spearhead78
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for the help guys. I've got some good ideas now
Spearhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.