Newbie vin/carb question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Newbie vin/carb question

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
racingctf14

Newbie vin/carb question

I am currently working on a 65 cj5(I'm pretty sure that's the year at least..lol). It has the Buick 225 odd fire in it that is going to be checked out/refreshed. The vin plate that is on it shows 8305 s 219923 and I can't find what the 7th number means. The engine code list I found has a 4 as the lowest number so I dont know what the 1 means. Also what would be a good carb to run on that motor? The stock one has been rebuilt but when it was running you had to constantly pump the gas and keep the RPM's up in order to keep it running then it would eventually stall. Thanks ahead of time.
Here is a pic of the s/n plate imageuploadedbyautoguide1368429747.498616.jpg
And the jeep in its current state
imageuploadedbyautoguide1368429788.070416.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

racingctf14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

ECJ's don't have an engine code. 8305 tells us it is a CJ5, the last 6 numbers are the serial number.
As far as the carb, the stock Rochester 2G series is one of the best out there. I would check to insure the idle mixture and curb idle are adjusted before you chuck it. If you're looking to go bigger, you will need a manifold to do it properly. Summit still sells them new, and used ones pop up from time to time. A small 4BBl will really wake the engine up. Stay with a dual plane for the best offroad results.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
racingctf14

Oh ok thanks for the info. I will have the adjustments checked after the shop replaces all of the bearings and stuff. I want to keep it as original as possible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
racingctf14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.