Newbie Vacuum Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Newbie Vacuum Problems

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
truk820
1981 CJ7 

Newbie Vacuum Problems

Hi everyone,

First post here, been on a few other boards as well.

Anyway...

Im having some serious frustrations with figuring out a rough idling / stalling problem.

Im running a 151 Iron Duke with a 2 barrel Rochester carb (e2se). I fired the engine up for the first time in a few months and it runs rough very rough and if I dont continually give it gas it will stall. I contacted the PO who informed me that after he had the carb rebuilt and installed it had vacuum problems but hes not a mechanic and his friend knew enough to plug a few lines to get it to start. He never drove it after the carb was installed and I bought it shortly thereafter.

I'm (very) new to working on these things and seeing SheetRock screws plugging some lines makes me uneasy, as does the charcoal canister not being hooked up.

So Ive decided to run the current setup by you guys and see if you can help me out. If possible Id like to hook the charcoal canister back up.

I labeled the picture here with some letters and numbers I hope you can follow:

In summary:
A is plugged
B comes from the fuel pump
C is plugged
I labeled the spindle looking thing X because I have no idea what it is. It has 4 hose outlets 2 on the top, 1 towards the front of the vehicle and 1 towards the rear of the vehicle. The 1s are connected to each other and the 2s are connected to each other.
Not sure what 3 is but the 3s are connected
D goes to something off of the distributor cap:

On the opposite side (the driver side) of the carb theres a rigid hose that goes to the valve cover. The PCV valve on the valve cover is connected to the air cleaner assembly.

I pulled the charcoal canister and after some scrubbing found the 3 ports are labeled (from L to R) PCV, Fuel Tank, Carb Bowl.

Sowhat do you think goes where? And what should I do with the PCV port on the charcoal canister if the line is going to the air cleaner assembly?

Also heres a picture looking down on the carb, taken from leaning over the passenger wheel:

Anything look fishy? I know its a bit of a long shot diagnosing these things virtually but any help is appreciated. If it would also help I can post the video of it starting up so you can hear what Im talking about.

Or...if anyone is running the same setup and could snap some pictures of the hoses that'd be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!

truk820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
brandonbb
1984 CJ7 

My 84 cj had all the lines hooked up except the most important one! And it would run only if I stayed in the throttle just like you have to. After really looking around I found out that there is a huge vacuum line hole at the base of the carb. It was not hooked up. I plugged it and it was like I instantly installed a new motor! You can also try that sniffer spray stuff that you spray around your lines to see if you have a vacuum leak. Slowly but surely I want to get rid of all the useless vacuum lines. I ended up installing a new Weber carb that doesn't use any vacuum lines or that electrical plug in. Increased my power and got rid of about 5 vacuum lines.
brandonbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.