Newbie question about CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Newbie question about CJ5

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-11-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Blankman

Newbie question about CJ5

Hello, I'm very new and don't even have a jeep, but I'm thinking of getting one. I was going to get a new one because I already have a '78 vette that needs constant attention, plus I need something to be a daily driver and even take some highway trips in. Well, today I saw in a parking lot a 1980 CJ5 for sale and I'll tell you what I can about it since I haven't called the guy about it.

Paint job looks very good, tan.
Tub looks very clean, it was covered with rhino liner or something like that.
33" tires, Mud King XT, look pretty new.
Engine compartment looks clean, don't know what kind of engine.
Odometer shows 04083 miles, so I assume it's 104,083.
The whole car as a whole looks good.

What I want to know is: any idea how much it would be worth based on this very very small amount of information?
Would this be completely impractical as a daily driver? It will spend most of it's time on streets, but not all of it. I would like to take it on a highway, what kinds of speeds can CJ5's get up to? Any general gas milage numbers?
And how reliable are CJ5's, will I be spending all my time fixing it? I need a reliable car for a daily driver.

Thanks in advance for any help, I'll be looking around this site for info but any suggestions or tidbits would be appreciated.

Blankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2003, 06:46 AM   #2
explortainment

take a look on ebay and some classifieds online to compare the jeep you are looking at to.

here is one on ebay going for over $6k:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6280

other than that, you could post some pictures on here and we could give you a ball park range. a vehicle that age could be worth between $100 and $20,000 depending on many variables. Chances are it won't be for sale real long if it is priced right, if it is priced too high, it will be for sale for ever.
explortainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2003, 06:58 AM   #3
cjryder

Blankman, it sounds like you've found a decent Jeep.
Assuming the drive train is complete and there are no mechanical problems evident, I've seen comparables in the 3000 to 3500 range.
Don't sweat stuff like missing knobs, light bulbs out etc.
Just look it over like you would a used car. A Jeep is not a car by the way.
What do you want? A daily driver that acts like a car? A used cj5 may not be for you. Typically, a CJ owner accepts all of the non-car characteristics of the Jeep because of off-road performance, and the general Jeep feeling.
Unread 05-12-2003, 08:15 PM   #4
TheJeepGod

i too have a corvette a 79- but i still have my jeeps(actually i had them first), and if i had to choose between them i would choose the jeeps. they are fun. it would be a good daily driver (except when it rains but maybe by 1980 the tops were better. highway travel might be best left to the vette-my jeep only goes about 70 and is very loud and uncomforatble at that speed. but i too have the mud kings and they are very quiet on the road.-i hope ive been of help.
2001 Cherokee 60th Anniversary
2007 WK CRD
TheJeepGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 12:13 PM   #5
DJC
1979 CJ5 

I have Two CJ-5's, a '75 and '79, both with the 304 V-8. I also have a Corvette ('85.)

As for the engine in the prospective '80, is it a V-8, Straight 6 or Straight 4? Can you tell at least that much?

In any event, Overall condition plays a big part in what it is really worth. Do you know anyone familiar with Jeeps that could help you check this one out?

You might consider buying a Book or two on Jeeps to familiarize yourself and better understand how to inspect prior to purchase. Any used vehicle will likely need some repairs, but don't get taken and wind up needing Major repairs.

If major parts like the differentials, X-Fer Case, Transmission, Engine are shot, then it will be costly and time-consuming to fix.

It might be worth $2000 or $6000 depending on condition.

I used my '79 CJ-5 as my daily driver for 2-years. Work was 10-miles away. Fuel economy was poor to marginal at 10 or 11 MPG with the 304 V-8. The 4-Cyl typically gets the best MPG, but lacks some power for Street driving.

I eventually added a Lock-Box, Dome-Light with door-activated switches and 3-point Seatbelt to make it more comfortable on the street.

Also, CJ-5's take a little getting used to as for road manners. Can get your attention pretty quickly from time-to-time, but can also be pretty fun to drive.

I have a Tarp-top, Soft-Top and Fiberglass Hardtop with hard doors. The Soft-Top is on it most of the time and I seem to be plenty dry when it rains.

Last edited by DJC; 05-15-2003 at 12:18 PM..
DJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.