Newbie with a question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Newbie with a question

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 10-22-2003, 09:25 AM   #1
Tcat55371

Newbie with a question

Well, I just picked up a 76 CJ 7 with 304 and Quadratec. All in all in pretty good shape. I noticed a clicking noise in the rearend when turning and it seems to bind. I'm going to pull the cover and take a peek to see if there are pieces floating around. I was told there is a special additive to add from jeep when I put it back together. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks for the post and I've found some good info already off here so I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction.

Take care guys....

Tcat55371 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcat55371
Well, I just picked up a 76 CJ 7 with 304 and Quadratec. All in all in pretty good shape. I noticed a clicking noise in the rearend when turning and it seems to bind. I'm going to pull the cover and take a peek to see if there are pieces floating around. I was told there is a special additive to add from jeep when I put it back together. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks for the post and I've found some good info already off here so I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction.

Take care guys....

Well is it locked in the rear? If so, that's probably where you're clicking is occuring because certain lockers purposely interfere with the turning aspects of the vehicle. The close wheel to the turn spins slower than the outer wheel and when locked, you can experience mild to heavy racheting.

Another thing...Open the diff and check for a broken tooth on the ring gear or pinion gear.
Unread 10-22-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
wm69

your clutches in you tcase might have varnish coating that doesn't allow them to slip when you turn. If you can't find anything in the rear that looks suspect, check that next (info fromt my jeep owners bible, which I have currently misplaced or I would provide more info).

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2003, 10:30 AM   #4
Tcat55371

Thanks guys

Just got the additive from Jeep. Will tear into it tonight and take a peek. I had a 76 years and years ago and it never made this noise that I remember so I must have a problem somewhere.
Unread 10-22-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
TrappG

Do you mean you have Quadratec or Quadratrac? If you meant Quadratrac, chances are that it's not the rear end at all. I had the slip/stick condition in my 78 304 with QT (characteristic of the QT transfer case) I simply replaced the QT fluid and all strange binding, and noises went away.

'04 Sahara - I6, 5spd bone-stock...
TrappG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2003, 01:06 PM   #6
Tcat55371

Should watch my spelling

It's Quadratrac but the binding and clicking (which is low and loud) is coming from the rear end and only when turning. Does not need to be a tight turn either, just turning. It sounds like something binding and breaking loose. I will find out tonight when I pull the cover I guess. Worse that can happen is I have to have it rebuilt and since it's out that gives more reason to do a spring over lift.
Unread 10-23-2003, 06:34 AM   #7
Tcat55371

Not sure but....

Pulled the cover and the lube was milky color. Must have had water in it and sat for awhile. I cleaned everything out with brake cleaner and shot a coat of oil in it. Going to put the cover back on tonight and put new oil and addititive in it.

Does anyone know if Mopar 4318060-AB Lube is the correct stuff? My book calls for Jeep #8991018. The guy at the parts counter didn't seem to know much about it for a Jeep dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.