Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

newbie question

566 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  2500HD4X 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the specifics for a 1979 CJ 5 engine. I know that it is a I6 258, but I need to know the bbl on the carburetor. Were all of the 2 bbl or did some or all have 1 bbl.
Thanks

#2 ·
Just pull your air cleaner off and look down the carb throat... Two holes= 2 barrel Carter BBD (?). One hole and its a one barrel Carter YF. They had both one and two barrel carbs in 79 according to my Haynes manual. Hope that helps a little anyway, someone here should be able to tell you for sure.

#4 ·
It shouldn't be that hard, I don't know that much about the linkages and stuff or the manifold changes necessary. I have always had the 1-bbl on my carbed jeeps. If the factory offered it, it can't be that difficult a swap if you can find the pieces. I don't think the factory BBD carb is highly thought of by most. Quadratec offers kits to put a Weber carb on your jeep. A lot of folks run a Motorcraft 2100 carb as a low buck swap on these I believe.
Whats wrong with your 1 barrel? What are you after? More power, better drivability, easier starting? If your going to spend a lot of money (Weber, etc.) why not just go ahead and inject it? It costs alot but its pretty much the ultimate induction upgrade. There are a few companies offering kits for the 258 (Howell)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.