Newbie needs purchase advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Newbie needs purchase advice

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-10-2002, 05:43 PM   #1
faltitude

Newbie needs purchase advice

Yes, one of the newbies has entered your site. Looking around, I think I have come to the right place though.

I have a chance to do some trading on a 1971 CJ with V-6. All original drivtrain, professinal floor replacement, repaint, new upholstry, new tires and wheels.It does have headers and dual exhaust.High mileage, but looks sweet. Owned by an older fellow that pulled it behing RV. What is this worth?

What should I look for when inspecting it? Are these considered a good year model? Please help a newbie out.

TIA

faltitude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2002, 10:11 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Best of the "early" CJ5's.It comes with flanged axle D44 rear, and many came stock with traction diff's.3.73 came stock with 4.11's and 4.88's as an option. Does it have an overdrive? The 225 V6 is the best motor offered in any cj(my opinion) with 165 HP and 235 ft.lb. torque.The T14A 3 speed trans. is somewhat weak, but if it has the T18 4 sp. you are golden.Rear tanks were an option and even if yours doesn't have one, they are easy to install.Check the frame around the spring hangers for cracks.Make sure that the front axle works(the 27A is a little weak).If it has stock steering,check for excesive slop.Rust around the rear body mounts. I have a 71 with the V6 and I love it!!! As for what it's worth,thats a hard one.In my area(Oregon) any Jeep in good shape goes for 2500 on up. If the rig is realy nice and you like it, then it's worth whatever your willing to pay.My sugestion is to make him give you a number and and take it from there. many times the owner will come in at or lower than you think,and you can make a counter offer.Rember this is a "real" Jeep(boy am I going to pay for THAT!). It won't be as comfortable or drive as nicely as a newer rig,on the other hand it is smaller,does'nt have smog,can be tuned up/repaired at home,and is easy on fuel.It really depends on what you want to do with it. GOOD LUCK
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2002, 10:42 PM   #3
faltitude

I appreciate your response. Thanks.
In talking with the owner, he states that there is a little slop in the steering and a tad tight when turning. Is this anything major?

The body and mounts are all good. The shackles are unknown at the moment.
Just didn't have a clue what it was worth. A trade is what he wanted. I have a 1993 Cherokee, 2wd Sport , 4 cyl, 5 speed with almost no options and 145k miles to boot. I didn't know if it was a lop-sided trade or what. My Cherokee just sits since I don't drive it anymore other than an occasional weekend trip to the store. But getting a CJ would give me something to play with.

Thanks.
Unread 03-11-2002, 10:29 AM   #4
Guy Hollister

The Cj5 will be manual steering ?

If you ask me anytime anyone gets shot of a Cherry and gets a CJ5/7 they are the hands down winner... the fact that its clean is a bonus. If he's keen do it ! But do a few good miles in the CJ first... say 30... and every gear it has...

Guy
Unread 03-11-2002, 01:53 PM   #5
faltitude

Thanks for the info. We are still going back and forth on the trade.
Here are a couple of pics of it.

Unread 03-13-2002, 12:31 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Jesus,DO IT!!!!bone stock late 71 with the rear tank option.I think it's a lopsided trade all right! Anybody who will take a do nothing Cherokee for that!But thats my opinion.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2002, 11:56 AM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

I have been watching this Jeep on Ebay for the last month or so. I can't understand why it won't sell on there! If I were you, I'd grab it! If I lived local to the guy, I'd have snapped it up by now, IT'S A GEM!
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.