newbie needs advice from guys who know... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > newbie needs advice from guys who know...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-17-2002, 11:42 AM   #1
Hsoj

newbie needs advice from guys who know...

I will be in the market for a CJ by december/january. Any advice about what years to get or stay away from? I have heard to stay pre-86 for better quality, this true? Know any good places to get one already fixed up for wheelin around $5000?

Any other advice about what to look for would be great. I will be around ths forum alot before and after my purchase trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

1992 YJ, 4cyl, 4" lift, 33" Dueler AT's, KC daylighters, much more to come soon!
Hsoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 12:26 PM   #2
4wheeler4CJ

For lack of time to give a thorough response right now, CJs were only made up to and including '86.

As far as the best years, much has to do with preference (CJ7, CJ5, CJ8, CJ6, Flatfender CJs, etc.)

I love ALL CJs, so, it really has to do with what style you prefer. After that, they are all "workable" in any and every way to wheel with. Most important is that you like the style.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice on what to look for and watch out for from others, so I'll stop here for now.

Good luck!
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
Hsoj

thanks for the reply. Just to clear it up a little i am in the maket for a CJ7. Would not mind a CJ5, but would prefer the 7.

1992 YJ, 4cyl, 4" lift, 33" Dueler AT's, KC daylighters, much more to come soon!
Unread 10-17-2002, 07:09 PM   #4
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I guess the question is why the 7? Do you want a longer base for certain things? Also, what kind of power are you looking for? Waht do you want to do with this? Wheel or cruise? It is all good, just need to know what you want to do before we start giving advice.

cb
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 11:41 PM   #5
Hsoj

I guess the only reason is because I have been told the the 7 is not as stable, i.e. is more dangerous, than the shorter 5. I plan to wheel with it, I would love to have a 6 cylinder. also heard that 8 is not needed but just an added bonus.

I have found a few CJ5s online that look great but if they are really dangerous then I would rather stay away from them. I am a novice wheeler and need all the stability that i can get.

If I am wrong on any of this feel free to let me know. thanks.

Unread 10-18-2002, 05:36 AM   #6
ssg11bravo30

Check the For Sale forum- there are a few out there, even mine
Black Jeep Club Member #9
Drivin' a bone stock 2002 GC
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291045345
ssg11bravo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 05:37 AM   #7
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I also suggest looking at EBAY and seeing what is out there. I got my 5 off of there and it was everthing I was looking for and then some. You may have to travel to get it, I had to go to VA from CT, but all it all it is all good.

I took the 5 because I wanted the shorter wheel base. To each his own. Good luck in the hunt.
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2002, 11:28 AM   #8
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You still haven't really answered the question of what you want to do with it. Cruise the streets, or go wheelin'. For wheelin, the shorter CJ5 is more manuverable and narrower. For the street, the CJ7 is longer and a little more stable. There are basicly 2 differnt CJ7 too. The earlier models had narrower axles than the later models (81 to 86?). The wider (wide track) axles are also more stable on the street, but the narrow axles can go into tigher off road places. Some prefer the narrow track looks and say they have less wheel rub on the fenders with larger tires. Some of the older CJ7's have stronger transmissions, but the newer CJ7's have stronger transfer cases. All in all, they are all good. It's a matter of getting one that you are happy with. Do you want one that requires a lot of work as a hobby? or do you want one that is totally fixed up and ready to turn heads? Or, do you just want a stock one that is just in good running order? Look around. They are out there.
Unread 10-20-2002, 01:23 AM   #9
Hsoj

Thanks for clearing that up about the different models. I would like to find one already fixed up (the big stuff at least) i.e. the lift and tires and such. I plan to use it as my weekend toy basically, not really planning to have to work on it alot. Thanks alot for your help guys.

If there is anything else you would like to add, such as good parts makers or good places to get good parts cheaper, please let me know.

Unread 10-21-2002, 08:02 AM   #10
scottahicks

ok well you just spoke the worst misconception of EVERY newby. "my weekend toy basically, not really planning to have to work on it alot. " no matter what you do with a jeep if you wheel it you will be fixing it!!!!! now dont get me wrong they dont just break all the time but they do break and then you have to upgrade them to keep it from hapening the next time. as for v8 veurses the six if your new go with the six there is more than enough power in a six, I have a v8 that is built and way way overy powered but I love it and have a racing history so I have more experiance with power but as a newby you might want to consider a six that is unless you have a v8 with an automatic tranny then you would be ok but rember this J.E.E.P. = Just Empty Every Pocket. you will allways spend money on your jeep wether its buying a cool add on part or deciding you want to do a major conversion its gona cost you. you are just lucky that you have found the best jeep website in the world with the nicest people around. as for cj7 veurses cj5 go with the 7 if you want more room more stability and good offroad and modification capeability if you want the looks narrowness and shorter wheelbase go with the cj5 but as a newby i would suggest the 7 to you or find some friends and test drive them both and decide for your self good luck to you and welcome to the jeep world where you will find the friendlyest 4wheelers in the world

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.