Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Newbie indentification questions

571 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Makanak 
#1 ·
Hi there - reposting as I didn't hit the upload button after selecting my images. Sorry about that. Anyway, newbie questions here....I would like help properly identifying/explaining some parts on my 1977 CJ7

question 1. This is a hose coming out of the front differential or axle. It goes to no where - looks like it has a valve on the end. What is the for?

question 2. These are located on passenger side and appear to be electrical components. The top one for sure attaches to positive anode of the battery. What is the top one called. The 2nd unit to the bottom i'm not what it is called or what it is for

question 3. On the drivers side, below the windshield washer container there seems to be canister with 2 tubes coming out of it. One tube leads to the back of the car somewhere. What is this unit ?

question 4. Just behind the carburetor there is this disc like thing with a tube coming out of it. What is it called and what is it for.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
first picture is the vent tube of the dill, you have one front and one rear. Just has a filter in the end to keep crap out of the diff.
next two pictures are not clear enough for my old eyes, the forth picture is the egr valve. Exhaust Gas Recirculater. part of the smog system puts exhaust back into your intake to reburn.

#4 ·
Matt1981CJ7 said:
I suggest you get a copy of the Factory Service Manual for your Jeep. They are available for free online. Matt
I'm sure he appreciates the help that you provided. On the other hand, if you have never seen item #1 (axle vent hose) maybe you shouldn't be working on the vehicle? 2) starter solenoid and ? I don't have the second item on mine and am not able to look it up right now. 3) charcoal canister 4) EGR valve. Did you try searching the interwebs to see if you could get a part name/description for the items? These are very basic parts and not "Jeep only"

#5 ·
#2) The item on the right (closer to the battery) is the starter solenoid. The other item is the ignition control module.

#6 ·
1: Front Axle Vent. Usually brought up the side of the radiator, located high to prevent water from entering the tube when fording streams. There should be a similar tube from the rear axle and one each from the transmission and the transfer case.

2a: Starter Solenoid - activates starter motor when key is turned to the Start position.

2b: Ignition Control Module

3: Fuel Vapor Canister. Fuel tank vents to this to recover gasoline vapors. Other hose should have a connection to the carburetor.

4: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.