Newbie Gas Line Help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Newbie Gas Line Help

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

Keith462 thanks for the pics and the info on the "smelling like gas" Do you make your own gas lines? If not where can I find the line that does not go into the canister. I have that one that goes into the canister. Thanks again for all the pics and info! really helps

gas.jpg

Jeep149 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I bought all my fuel and brake lines from InlineTube.com They will sell individual ones also.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
Rousey72
1972 CJ5 

Thanks for all of the pics Keith! I am just starting my rebuild and have already discovered that the PO had no idea how to run a gas line... Only one from the tank, no return and everything is rotted rubber.
Rousey72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #19
Rousey72
1972 CJ5 

One question about InlineTube.com. I have a 72 cj5 with a 304 and I have looked everywhere for fuel lines and cannot find them, would the lines for 76 and up still fit on mine?
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
CSP

Probably not. The frames changed in '76, so the fuel line bends and lengths would be different.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Rousey72
1972 CJ5 

Any idea on tracking down gas lines for a 72 with amc 304, or how to go about making new ones?

Currently being taken apart, so that it can be put back together.
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
That's a mistake right there!

Removing the canister, you will experience the joys of smelling like raw fuel every time you drive your Jeep. But, if that is what you like, go for it.

Fuel tank venting, Roll Over Valves, fuel Check Valves, Return Lines, Charcoal Canister and dual outlet Fuel Filters are all designed for a purpose. For the purpose of delivering fuel to the engine and returning unused back to the tank safely without you having to smell it.

My stock tank didnt come with the two vent valves on the left side in these pics... what do I do???? also I bought a new tank and it has those on it.. this tank came with a tie down bracket that is way to big to me.. unless I'm looking at it wrong??
image-1.jpg

Unread 07-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #23
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

If your aftermarket tank already has the Roll Over check valves in it, then you don't need them. Even the factory OEM 20 gallon tank did not have these either, but all the 15 gallon tanks do.

As far as that strap mounting goes, they probably have made it long so you can cut off the excess that is not needed.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #24
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

My 20 gallon tank has roll over check valves in the top in two locations. I simply put a T in the line, hooking them together and on the other end I put this.

Basically I hook the vent line to the filter to keep any dust from entering the system. The loop at the top keeps any fluid from running in. This is stuffed way up high above the gas filler on the passenger rear.

I don't run a charcoal canister and don't get any smell. My motor is properly tuned, no gas leaks, etc. I have just a supply line, filter, and return line.

I don't have any issues with vapor lock or smell. The motor runs great.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #25
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

[QUOTE=82JeepCJ7;15698071]My 20 gallon tank has roll over check valves in the top in two locations. I simply put a T in the line, hooking them together and on the other end I put this.

Basically I hook the vent line to the filter to keep any dust from entering the system. The loop at the top keeps any fluid from running in. This is stuffed way up high above the gas filler on the passenger rear.

I don't run a charcoal canister and don't get any smell. My motor is properly tuned, no gas leaks, etc. I have just a supply line, filter, and return line.

I don't have any issues with vapor lock or smell. The motor runs great.

Would it make a difference if I have the 258 inline 6? I noticed you have a V8? regarding the gas smell and tuning with the charcoal canister.. On the note of the two vent holes.. should I just plug them? or I was thinking of making a Y and just combined them into the charcoal vent line???? any thoughts??
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #26
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Mine originally had the 258 in it.

Your tank should look like this on the top.

The two connections where the Y is hooked into, have liquid check valves built into them. That is what I have the filter/looped end hooked into. The other connections are on the fuel sending unit. One is the fuel supply, other is the return line from the filter.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.