Newbie Gas Line Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Newbie Gas Line Help

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

Newbie Gas Line Help

Hey guys I have tried to search for this on this forum, but no luck. So being excited about my build and tearing things apart I forgot to take pics of the gas lines. My question is, I have bought a new return line and one that goes to the fuel pump. I thought it might have a third line?? and if so what is that one called and where does it go? Thanks in advance

Jeep149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Ah yes, the excitement... like a Redfish exploding on a Zara Spook at daylight under the mangroves! Well, maybe not, but I get it. Pretty sure you will have just a supply line and a return line, and if you are reusing the factory lines, they should determine where they go simply by their shape. I'm not sure, as my Jeep doesn't have a charcoal canister, but you might have a line venting that as well. I want to say the charcoal canister line was green(?). Guess I'm no help! CRS, you know. Hang on, somebody will answer this question correctly.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
austincj
1981 CJ7 

My 81 CJ7 has a return line coming from the third port of the fuel filter.
See this post here for a picture of the proper fuel filter positioning:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fu.../#post11907591

Note, I've seen some posts saying that the return line goes through the carbon canister. I'm pretty sure that this is not correct. At least in my 81 (non-california version), the return line goes directly to the tank.

Regards,
-David
austincj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
austincj
1981 CJ7 

Oh, and I have another return coming from the canister.
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Yes, return comes from the fuel filter. The charcoal canister is for venting the fuel bowl on the carb, not for the return line.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
austincj
1981 CJ7 

Thanks for the correction.
I found the following link helpful in explaining the purpose of the canister:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/evaporat.htm

So I guess the line between the canister and the tank is more of a "supply" line, but only passes evaporated vapors.

In summary, on my CJ, there are three lines (that I'm aware of) between the tank and the engine compartment:
1) Supply line to the fuel pump.
2) Return line from the filter
3) "Vapor line" (terminology?) between the canister and the tank.

Regards,
-David
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

Great info thanks guys! I'm still running the charcoal canister so I guess I will be needing the "vapor line"
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

Anyone have problems with vapor lock without running the canister? or any other problems?
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

You won't have vapor lock if you bypass the canister. The canister is solely for helping to eliminate gasoline vapors from escaping into the atmosphere by returning them to the fuel system.

Unread 07-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Jeep149
1982 CJ7 

Awesome! Goodbye canister! thanks for all the help!
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

A bad canister will cause it run poorly. As per Adventures under the hood website.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
You won't have vapor lock if you bypass the canister. The canister is solely for helping to eliminate gasoline vapors from escaping into the atmosphere by returning them to the fuel system.
No, that's not completely true. The canister and the line also act as the vent for the tank. As gas is pumped out of the tank air must enter the tank or a vacuum will be created in the tank. The canister act as a vent to supply replacement air and it captures fumes when there are temperature changes, natural evaporation of gas, etc.

There's really no good reason not to use it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
No, that's not completely true. The canister and the line also act as the vent for the tank. As gas is pumped out of the tank air must enter the tank or a vacuum will be created in the tank. The canister act as a vent to supply replacement air and it captures fumes when there are temperature changes, natural evaporation of gas, etc.

There's really no good reason not to use it.
You're right, CSP. Thanks for the correction. My bad...

OP, note*- if you eliminate the canister you will need to provide an air vent. I don't have a canister on my 5, because it didn't have one when I got it. My 7 does have a canister. The canister doesn't hurt performance in any way, and it does prevent gas vapors from entering the air, which is a major source of air pollution. It's easy to rebuild it. Just food for thought...

Unread 07-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Us lucky other worlders only had two lines and a vent in the gas cap (i.e. a small hole) and no roll over or check valves.

If you go two lines you will need a vented gas cap. Somewhere in the mid west can supply them I recall.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep149 View Post
Awesome! Goodbye canister! thanks for all the help!
That's a mistake right there!

Removing the canister, you will experience the joys of smelling like raw fuel every time you drive your Jeep. But, if that is what you like, go for it.

Fuel tank venting, Roll Over Valves, fuel Check Valves, Return Lines, Charcoal Canister and dual outlet Fuel Filters are all designed for a purpose. For the purpose of delivering fuel to the engine and returning unused back to the tank safely without you having to smell it.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.